Wedding Invitations & Paper

Sometimes-single friend

We have one girlfriend we'd like to invite, who used to work with us both.  We're not as close as we once were, but she's indicated that she'd love to come to the wedding.  She dates... a lot, since her marriage ended about a year ago.  I'd like to address her invitation to "Jane Doe and Guest" since I have no idea who her current (or then) beau is/will be.  

Would it be ok to include a handwritten note in the envelope saying something along the lines of "I'm not sure if you're seeing someone currently, but if not, feel free to bring Sally (her best friend and a mutual acquaintence of ours) or another friend!"

I definitely don't want her to have to attend alone, since we don't have many other people coming that she will know.

Re: Sometimes-single friend

• An insert with a note stating she is welcome to bring a guest is appropriate. I would leave is simple and not go into whether she is dating or bring Sally, etc. :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• You can insert a note or address the invitation to "Ms. Jane Doe and Guest."
  • I would just leave it as "Ms. Jane Doe and Guest".  The "and guest" part kind of implies that she can bring whoever you want.  Honestly, if I got an invite with a note saying that, I would kind of question why you felt the need to point out that I'm not in a relationship and why you would think, enough to put it in writing even, that I won't be in a relationship by the time of your wedding. I wouldn't be totally offended, but part of me would be a little bit. As it gets close to the wedding, or especially if she RSVP's for just herself without a guest, when you talk to her you could let her know that she is welcome to bring Sally as her guest if she wishes to.  It wouldn't bother me so much hearing it in person as it would to see it in writing.

• "I'm not sure if you're seeing someone currently, but if not, feel free to bring Sally (her best friend and a mutual acquaintence of ours) or another friend!"  This could be like a slap in the face to someone who has just ended a relationship.  Bad idea!  "You are welcome to bring a guest" is enough.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Wow.  I would never in a million years assume it was ok to bring a random friend if I got an invite that said "and guest," unless specifically told that it was ok.  I would only ever think to bring a significant other, and if I didn't have one, I'd feel REALLY weird about bringing someone.

I just want to make sure that she does feel comfortable bringing a friend if there isn't a SO in the picture at that time.  And I have NO CLUE if she is seeing anybody - and it's really not my business if she is, or even if she's dating five guys.  I just don't want her to end up feeling alone or awkward.

I don't think I've ever in-person seen anybody bring anything other than a date to a wedding.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Wow.  I would never in a million years assume it was ok to bring a random friend if I got an invite that said "and guest," unless specifically told that it was ok.  I would only ever think to bring a significant other, and if I didn't have one, I'd feel REALLY weird about bringing someone.

I just want to make sure that she does feel comfortable bringing a friend if there isn't a SO in the picture at that time.  And I have NO CLUE if she is seeing anybody - and it's really not my business if she is, or even if she's dating five guys.  I just don't want her to end up feeling alone or awkward.

I don't think I've ever in-person seen anybody bring anything other than a date to a wedding.
    "And guest" means exactly that-that the person named on an invitation is welcome to bring a guest of their choice-who does not have to be an SO.  So I have "no clue" why you would think it doesn't mean that.
  • I would just put it as "Jane Doe and Guest", with no notes or what have you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards