Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Readings

So originally, we weren't going to have any readings because they typically are really awkward or boring. Our pastor has suggested we reconsider that, so we are but it's so hard to find something that suites us. Are there any poems you like or that you are using/used for your wedding? I would love some ideas!

Re: Readings

• FI and I are probably going to use this excerpt from The Amber Spyglass:

"I will love you forever; whatever happens. Till I die and after I die, and when I find my way out of the land of the dead, I'll drift about forever, all my atoms, till I find you again... I'll be looking for you, every moment, every single moment. And when we do find each other again, we'll cling together so tight that nothing and no one'll ever tear us apart. Every atom of me and every atom of you... We'll live in birds and flowers and dragonflies and pine trees and in clouds and in those little specks of light you see floating in sunbeams... And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won't just be able to take one, they'll have to take two, one of you and one of me, we'll be joined so tight..." 

Consider favorite novels or poems you already love for inspiration. Or, use the google. There's tons of stuff out there.

Anniversary
  • look for poems, excerpts from books or lyrics from songs. We had two readings. Each took about one minute. Mayyyybe a minute and 30 seconds. As long as you don't pick an entire chapter out of a book, you should be fine. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Are you getting married in a church?
  • Our mothers are sharing a reading of "The Art of Marriage" - Wilfred A Peterson

http://www.njwedding.com/articles/artofmarriage_peterson.cfm

• We had our friends read two readings. The first was Having a Coke with You by Frank O'Hara (http://mappingthemarvellous.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/having-a-coke-with-you/) and the second was an extract from Plato's Symposium (http://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-planning/readings/extract-from-platos-symposium_443.htm).

• drmrs2014 said:
    Are you getting married in a church?
    Yes, we are!
  • I would ask your pastor first and foremost if you should be picking a Bible reading or if you can pick anything. I think any passage (religious or otherwise) that inspires you as a couple can be appropriate.
    We can pick whatever we would like.
  • Schatzi13 said:
    Does your pastor require readings? If not and you can't find something that one or both of you loves, perhaps it'd be better just to skip them as you had originally planned.
    It's not required, it's just something to add a little more substance to the ceremony. It's already going to be short.
  • Schatzi13 said:
    Does your pastor require readings? If not and you can't find something that one or both of you loves, perhaps it'd be better just to skip them as you had originally planned.
    It's not required, it's just something to add a little more substance to the ceremony. It's already going to be short.
    How long, without readings, would the ceremony be?
  • I'm not going to have any reading at our wedding but we're going for the shortest ceremony possible. I think it is only going to be 15 minutes. If you can't find anything that speaks to the two of you then you shouldn't have a reading.
  • How about a paragraph or so from a favourite novel?

Readings don't necessarily have to be serious or over the top romantic. You could try googling readings that would suit your taste "funny ceremony readings" or something. One that comes to mind is by Dr. Seuss, "We are all a little weird, and life's a little weird, and when we find someone who's weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love". Perhaps a bit short, but I think it's quite cute. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    Schatzi13 said:
    It would only be about 10 min maybe without any.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Schatzi13 said:
    It would only be about 10 min maybe without any.
    My own opinion is that a 10 minute ceremony is still meaningful, but perhaps your pastor can recommend an appropriate reading.  Or, you can look for a text from a book or poem you enjoy.  For example, one of Shakespeare's sonnets?
  • I just found this yesterday and I love it!

• Thank you for the help- we decided to use a scripture from the Bible. We chose Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12.

Just little over 1 month to go!
  • We are having an excerpt from LOTR by Tolkien. Cheesy I know... but FI is a huge Tolkien fan. It is a beautiful romantic poem as it is. That will be our only reading. Following the vows we will have a Navajo wedding blessing read. Both are short and won't last more than a minute or two.
  • Thank you for the help- we decided to use a scripture from the Bible. We chose Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12.

Just little over 1 month to go!
    LOVE IT! We are doing this as well and then we are braiding a cord of three strands, aka the God's Knot!
  • I just found this yesterday and I love it!

Thanks SO much for posting this... I love it too and have never heard it before.  Will have to show it to FI and see if he likes it too!! :)
  • We are having an excerpt from LOTR by Tolkien. Cheesy I know... but FI is a huge Tolkien fan. It is a beautiful romantic poem as it is. That will be our only reading. Following the vows we will have a Navajo wedding blessing read. Both are short and won't last more than a minute or two.
    firebabe6519 Can you share that with me?
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sure! The Navajo blessing or Tolkien?
  • Our reading is by Robert Fulghum, the author of "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love "The Art of Marriage"!!! I'm definitely having that as my reading :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards