May 2014 Weddings

Honeymoons

Where are you going?
have you booked it yet?

Re: Honeymoons

• We are discussing Hawaii, but we won't be able to take our honeymoon right after the wedding so we haven't booked anything yet. 

Have you booked yours yet?
  • We are unable to take a honeymoon right after the wedding. Work wasn't so cooperative since I already have a week and half off. We will have 3 days off afterwords. So what were doing is getting a nice whirlpool suite at the very nice hotel near our venue. It's located on the river so all well see is the river ( nice view and romantic). The whirlpool is in the room so we can chill and watch tv or whatever lol. It also comes with champaign. Then from there we are going to drive to the Wisconsin Dells for a mini honeymoon. They have a package deal for roughly 500 bucks for a two night stay at a resort. That deal comes with a jacuzzi suite, bottle of champaign, box of chocolates, 2 movie tickets, 2 all day passes to the indoor theme park, 2 all day passes to teh indoor water park, $50 gift certificate for one resturaunt then another $25 gift certificate for another resturaunt. It's a great deal actually. I live in IL and our wedding festivities are in northern IL so the Dells are not that far from us, about a 2 hr drive. So although we don't have enough time for a full honeymoon we're making the best of it as we can. I look forward to those 3 days so much...
  • We are still working on it.  We had originally thought of Italy, but it is soooo expensive!  Plus, we just aren't able to leave right after either.  So we will also probably stay a few nights in a nice hotel, and then we are actually talking about taking a road trip east.  Neither one of us have really been out that way, and we were thinking of checking it out, maybe even making it into Canada.  But we would drive from IL (where we live) all the way straight over to the Atlantic, maybe spend one day in NYC, then head north from there.  We talked about stopping at Niagara falls, and everything I have heard is that it is prettier  from the Canada side, and I would love to see some of Canada anyways.  Also I got a bunch of visitor guide books for ME,VT, NH and I think a few other places too.  I have always wanted to visit ME as well, so who knows.  Someone mentioned to me Martha's Vineyard, so maybe we will go there too.  Anyways just some ideas, we will probably head that way towards the end of the summer.
    Anniversary
  • @Kristen625 Yay, Canada! I grew up in Niagara, and it's DEFINITELY prettier on our side -- you can see so much more of both waterfalls (Horseshoe and American). There are so many tourist attractions, too, like the world-renowned Niagara Wine Route, the Butterfly Conservatory, and so much more! ...As far as honeymoon goes, we've booked 5 nights at Sandals Barbados (it was Couples Barbados when we booked), and we've got a buffer day inbetween when we get married and when we fly out :)

• After booking our venue (and finalizing the date) we booked ours right away! We are going to the Riviera Maya and staying at an AI right on the beach that is adults only. We both wanted to do tropical but still keep it as close to $2K as possible. With the airfare and the hotel, its costing us about $2300, which I think is a great deal! A friend of mine is going to a nearby resort in Feb. and spending a grand more! The only down side is that there were no direct flights from where we live to Cancun so we have an overnight in Detroit. But thats okay, we just added an extra day at the resort!
  • I'm scared of Mexico!! So we are looking towards Jamacia.

• My fiance and I are going to St. Lucia and staying at a Sandals resort!  We booked about a month ago.

• We were really looking forward to going international but my parents are letting us use a timeshare exchange of theirs and we didn't start looking soon enough. So we will be spending a week in sunny San Diego which is still exciting because SO has never been!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not booked yet, and unsure where we are going.  I'm considering Greece, possibly a cruise to some of the different islands but I haven't had time to really look into it.   I would like to go soon after our wedding, but possibly not for a week or so after, so I can catch up a bit at work before taking more time off. 
  • omargotz said:
    I'm scared of Mexico!! So we are looking towards Jamacia.

I wasn't too sure of doing Mexico at first but I've talked to friends and family that travel there a lot and as long as we stay at the resort we'll be fine. We've got transportation covered to get to and from the airport and we aren't planning any special excursions so we should be good. The reports on the drug wars say that the majority of Mexico is still safe for travel, as long as you're staying away from places like Acapulco. We'll be on the opposite side of the country.
  • We are doing a week at Sandal's Whitehouse Jamaica.

• @britt are you going immediately after Bc that's where we are prob going!!

I am afraid of being stolen in Mexico hahaha
  • We wanted to go to Italy or Bora Bora, but it was WAY TOO much for at this time. We are waiting until the next week to leave for our Honeymoon when our daughter gets out of school since she will be staying with family while we are out of town.

We are going with Sandals in Ocho Rios Jamaica. We were going to do Montego Bay, but have heard some great things about Ocho Rios.

• lol @omargotz I'm afraid of mexico too, and getting kidnapped. lol 

and @pumpkinsandturkeys I am excited to know that the Canada is the prettier side :)
    Anniversary
  • Not decided on where we want to go. I travel a lot for work, so I want to do something totally relaxing, with almost nothing to do. Maybe back to St. John, Kauai, Eleuthera/Exumas, Vieques, etc. Warm and islandy and quiet.
  • @omargotz yea we leave May 19. Mexico is no scarier than Jamacia. Both have their places you don't want to go. The Quintana Roo area of Mexico is safe and a lot of fun. Secrets has wonderful AI resorts there.
  • We're going to the Sandals in Antigua, leaving about 2 weeks after our wedding and staying there for about a week.
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • ArtTeacher23ArtTeacher23 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    We're going to the Sandals in Antigua, leaving about 2 weeks after our wedding and staying there for about a week.
    Anniversary

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • @omargotz I said the SAME thing about Mexico.  I still feel that way.  we're going to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Jamaica and everyone I've told has been like "oooo be careful there!"  

Honestly, I don't know if anywhere is really "safe."  you just have to be smart, I guess.
  • We're waiting until late June for our honeymoon, that way our daughter will be on summer break and can spend a week with her grandparents. We haven't booked yet. We had our hearts set on Hawaii but I looked up the cost of just the airfare and almost spit coffee all over my computer screen. I talked to FI about it and we started tossing around the idea of a west coast honeymoon. We are both HUGE sports fans and are trying to time our trip to coincide with when our favorite baseball teams will be on the west coast. We would LOVE to stay in San Diego, San Francisco, and maybe a couple of days in Seattle as well :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @klburke88 if you end up going to San Francisco let me know.  I lived there for 2 years.  It was a lot of fun.  It is a great city! :)  I can give you pointers and places to go if you would like :)
    Anniversary
  • We are getting married Mother's Day weekend on Saturday so we aren't leaving til the next weekend. We are going to Anguilla for a week. I can't wait!
  • @tho127 where are you staying in Anguilla?? We are considering it for our honeymoon :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance and I are going to St. Lucia and staying at a Sandals resort!  We booked about a month ago.

Is that all inclusive? Is it a couple only resort? Is there a honeymoon suite? Considering,,,

Thanks!!

• We're going to the Sandals in Antigua, leaving about 2 weeks after our wedding and staying there for about a week.
    We are seriously thinking of the Sandals in Antigua as well. It looks amazing! 
  • We haven't booked ours yet. We might have to wait until July to go though, because FH's work doesn't allow vacation to be taken until after July 1st, but we haven't asked if he'd make an exception for a honeymoon. FH really, really wants to go to Italy, since he's Italian and our wedding is sort of romantic/Italian themed, but since it is so expensive we plan on waiting to book it until last minute and hoping to get a better deal that way.

We might look into something else though, just in case the price is still out of our range. Also might do a night or two at a local hotel after the wedding so the wedding night is special.

• @lordmelissa We went with that choice after going through all of the Sandals locations, narrowing it down by locations we wanted to go to (i.e. Caribbean vs Mexico vs Jamaica), what each resort offered as far as things to do both on and off the resort/island and then read the reviews on trip advisor. Also, our travel agent said that out of all the all-inclusive resorts she's been to (not just Sandals) the Antigua one is the best and has the whitest, sandiest beaches she's ever been to! We can't wait!!
    Anniversary

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • @lordmelissa We went with that choice after going through all of the Sandals locations, narrowing it down by locations we wanted to go to (i.e. Caribbean vs Mexico vs Jamaica), what each resort offered as far as things to do both on and off the resort/island and then read the reviews on trip advisor. Also, our travel agent said that out of all the all-inclusive resorts she's been to (not just Sandals) the Antigua one is the best and has the whitest, sandiest beaches she's ever been to! We can't wait!!
    Anniversary

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • @ArtTeacher23 oooh that makes me feel really good with our just about set choice! How many days are you going? We are thinking 7. 
  • Yeah we are doing 7 as well, leaving on a Monday morning, arriving around noon-ish and coming back on a Saturday evening.
    Anniversary

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards