Wedding Woes

Ooohh, something fun

DH, FIL, and I sat down this weekend and went through our kitchen design.  It's with the designer now for a mock up. We should be picking out cabinets and countertops in the next few weeks!  I can't wait to have a nice big island and tons of storage.

Re: Ooohh, something fun

• Jeallloouuuusss. Our kitchen is a piece of shit and I hate it.

• I haven't liked the kitchen from the beginning, but I hate it more everyday.  We're knocking down the wall into the dining room and making one huge space.
  • I'm envious of you being able to make a decision.  The kitchen is the way it is, b/c I always think/see/want something "better".  At this point, it may never get remodeled.
  • That IS fun.  I have dreams of major remodeling/addition, but DH doesn't share my vision at all.
  • Phase 1 is the kitchen/dining room.  Phase 2 is adding on ~400 sq. ft.  DH generally defers to me on kitchen stuff so that's a little easy.  Furnishing the addition will probably be more annoying.
  • The one kitchen thing we've stayed consistent on is a pot-filler at the stove.  Other than that, we can't decide on one thing.  It's not that we don't agree, it's that we want too much stuff really.  I'll need 2 stoves: one that's gas w/ a hood, one that's induction w/ microwave over it, 2 ovens...don't get me started on cabinets and drawers.  It went downhill when we discovered drawers that opened and closed automatically.  Oh and a permanently installed IPad in one of the cabinet doors for recipe uses and watching Netflix while batch cooking...it just keeps getting ridiculous.
  • The kitchen was redone a year before we bought the house, so I'm content with it for a while.

I'd really love to add a master suite above the garage.  I have always wanted a gigantic bedroom and our bathrooms have always been small.  I don't really have any interest in moving out of this house, but I suppose my feelings on that could change.

We wouldn't be able to start my dream addition for years and years, so maybe we can just start knocking down walls when the girls move out.
  • My mom is getting a kitchen in her new house, I'm tres jealouse.

She picked Quartz countertops at $90/sq ft.  I figure she's never had a kitchen she's liked in 60 years, so why not?

I'm sure my dad curses every dollar she spends. 
  • i am jealous of your new island. i am content with our kitchen. i can't ever understand these people who i see on HGTV shows who go into a hoome with a brand new kicthen and they rip everything out to start over because of their color choices. i wish i had m oney to throw away like that.

i'm not a fan of open concept - i like the separate kitchen, living, and dining rooms. it will be hard for me to find something i like when we eventually plan to move again.

• I highly recommend not having a pipe leak to get a new kitchen, but man it was nice not having to spend 15k of my own money. If we had done it ourselves later on, we'd have knocked down a wall for more space, but what we were able to do for more counter space works well for the space.

Have fun picking finishes!
  • what ever you do, don't get marble or black "granite" counter tops! pet peeve of mine! sounds like fun though, and i wish i could revonate my kicthen but its an apartment so i have to be content with a moveable island and nick knacks ha
  • That's awesome, 6!! I can't wait to see the progress pics.  

I want a new kitchen.  One that comes with a new house around it.  ;) 
  • VarunaTT said:
    The one kitchen thing we've stayed consistent on is a pot-filler at the stove.  Other than that, we can't decide on one thing.  It's not that we don't agree, it's that we want too much stuff really.  I'll need 2 stoves: one that's gas w/ a hood, one that's induction w/ microwave over it, 2 ovens...don't get me started on cabinets and drawers.  It went downhill when we discovered drawers that opened and closed automatically.  Oh and a permanently installed IPad in one of the cabinet doors for recipe uses and watching Netflix while batch cooking...it just keeps getting ridiculous.
    The kitchen we had at the house we lived in when I was in high school had three ovens, two dishwashers, two sinks, a pastry counter, two warming drawers, a six eye gas range, a gas griddle, an industrial refrigerator... sweet babby jeebus I miss that kitchen. And that house. I miss that house so hard.

• I miss my old house having 2 kitchens.  There are a lot I miss about that HOUSE, but I certainly don't miss that town. 

• I didn't realize your old house had 2 kitchens, 6.  I've only been in one house that had 2 kitchens. It was a rental house/bachelor pad (there were about 6 guys living there) and those boys did not appreicate their 2 kitchens.  ;) 
  • Yep, the second kitchen is about the size of what I have now.  The basement used to be an apartment for the grown son.  It was a walkout with a full bath, loaded kitchen (we replaced the dishwasher with a  wine frig), a fireplace, and a bedroom.  In the living area we had a pool table, huge ass sectional, pub table, and two overstuffed chairs and STILL didn't have the room furnished completely.

I miss that house.

• I guess we technically had two kitchens -- we had a detached garage with an apartment built over it that was originally designed for my grandma to stay in when she visited us from California but was mostly used when I had friends at the house for sleepovers so we could be as loud as we wanted without getting yelled at.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards