Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Entertainment Games: The Shoe Game- Yay or Nay?

What do you think is it lame or cool? I think it would be funny to have during dinner as entertainment, has anyone been to a wedding where they did it? Any thoughts? Our reception plan is already off the wall, cocktail hour is outdoor games like bocci and lawn chess and cornhole, and I want the reception to be different funny and memorable, have considered table trivias and other games, and thoughts or ideas would be way appreciated. 
( Shoe Game-How it works is that the bride and groom are set up on chairs with their backs towards one another – so that the most guests can see you and enjoy the fun. They take off their shoes and exchange one of them (so each has one of the bride’s shoes and one of the groom’s shoes). Then someone – the MC, a member of the bridal party or a family member usually – asks a series of questions where the answer can be either the bride or the groom. For example: “Who made the first move?” or “Who is the better driver?” The couple each raise one of the shoes to represent themselves or their partner, often with hilarious results.) 

Re: Reception Entertainment Games: The Shoe Game- Yay or Nay?

• I have never ever seen this before, and I would absolutely hate having to sit through it. Games are just not for weddings, IMO. People want to talk to each other and get a chance to congratulate the bride and groom. You need to be circulating and thanking your guests at your reception, not playing games.
  • I think reception "games" in general are tacky.  Your guests are adults who can converse during dinner and don't need extra "entertainment".
  • Anaelsea said:
    What do you think is it lame or cool? I think it would be funny to have during dinner as entertainment, has anyone been to a wedding where they did it? Any thoughts? Our reception plan is already off the wall, cocktail hour is outdoor games like bocci and lawn chess and cornhole, and I want the reception to be different funny and memorable, have considered table trivias and other games, and thoughts or ideas would be way appreciated. 
    ( Shoe Game-How it works is that the bride and groom are set up on chairs with their backs towards one another – so that the most guests can see you and enjoy the fun. They take off their shoes and exchange one of them (so each has one of the bride’s shoes and one of the groom’s shoes). Then someone – the MC, a member of the bridal party or a family member usually – asks a series of questions where the answer can be either the bride or the groom. For example: “Who made the first move?” or “Who is the better driver?” The couple each raise one of the shoes to represent themselves or their partner, often with hilarious results.) 
    Ditto PP.  While it's fine to have the different games available to play during cocktail hour, you aren't forcing guests to participate.  This shoe game would force your guests to participate.  It's perfectly fine to want your guests to have a good time during your reception, but having great food and music will allow your guests to enjoy themselves.  You don't need to force fun on your guests.
  • Thanks ladies, will keep the games to the cocktail hour only
  • Anaelsea said:
    Thanks ladies, will keep the games to the cocktail hour only
    I'm glad you're not having it during the reception.  Will say that I would never participate during cocktail hour either.....that's my favorite part of the wedding and I'd be much too busy eating, drinking and socializing.
  • Good.  I wouldn't enjoy the shoe game as one of the couple or a guest.  I wouldn't like personal questions about me and the answers to be the "entertainment."
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    When I first saw it on Four Weddings I thought it was cute and funny, but after coming here I realized that guests usually don't find these sorts of things entertaining.
  • No games either during cocktail hour or the main reception. I am an adult. All I need to keep me entertained is some booze, food, and conversing with other.

• Ditto ^^
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I've been to a wedding where they played this game and a couple others at their reception.  It made the reception less fun as a guest.  Hardly anyone danced, and most people left early.  We didn't do any games and everyone had a great time.
  • Not a fan.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I've been to many, many weddings. I have yet to attend one that had games either during the cocktail hour or reception. It's weird. And lame. 
  • Cheesy and makes the couple look like attention whores. And the questions are usually kind of embarrassing.
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
  • Seen it. Lame. I don't like games at weddings :) GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• It was a huge hit at a wedding I just went to. They did it as people were finishing eating, but before dancing. The only thing was in my opinion, some of them seemed inappropriate (ie: who is more likely to initiate sex? GASP!)

I think when placed well, they can get your guests loosened up and provide a good path into the party part of the evening.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It was a huge hit at a wedding I just went to. They did it as people were finishing eating, but before dancing. The only thing was in my opinion, some of them seemed inappropriate (ie: who is more likely to initiate sex? GASP!)

I think when placed well, they can get your guests loosened up and provide a good path into the party part of the evening.
    I disagree.  Many people don't want to play games at weddings, let alone answer questions about sex-especially in front of elderly guests, the couple's parents or grandparents, bosses, etc.

Guests don't need games to be "loosened up" or "provide a good path into the party part of the evening" if there is good food, drinks, and conversation.
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    Wait are you having a PPD? Your picture looks like a wedding picture...have you already gotten married and are re-doing it?
  • AnaelseaAnaelsea member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
    We get re-married once a year. call it a vow renewal, call it what you want, once a year in a different state or country, call me cheesy. 
  • Saw this at a friends wedding and it was a big hit. If you do it - keep it short and with appropriate questions. 

The cocktail hour outdoor games is great. My sister did this at her wedding and we got some wonderful pictures, moments and stories out of it! 
  • Anaelsea said:
    We get re-married once a year. call it a vow renewal, call it what you want, once a year in a different state or country, call me cheesy. This one will have all nine of our parents present(it gives me snarkity pleasure to put them in the same room for ONCE in my life)  Dont worry, they all know were married already, theres total transparency -Im paying for it all myself, all because IMA SPESHUL BUTTERFLY lolol. no but seriously i want to spoil the sh!t out of our guests, and im going to, its not about "ME ME ME" though I will derive major pleasure though from seeing my biological parents, the ex-step parents that raised me, the new step parents they all remarried on ONE room. let em squirm. HA 
    You enjoy making people feel awkward and uncomfortable?  Wow. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited January 2014
    Anaelsea said:
    We get re-married once a year. call it a vow renewal, call it what you want, once a year in a different state or country, call me cheesy. This one will have all nine of our parents present(it gives me snarkity pleasure to put them in the same room for ONCE in my life)  Dont worry, they all know were married already, theres total transparency -Im paying for it all myself, all because IMA SPESHUL BUTTERFLY lolol. no but seriously i want to spoil the sh!t out of our guests, and im going to, its not about "ME ME ME" though I will derive major pleasure though from seeing my biological parents, the ex-step parents that raised me, the new step parents they all remarried on ONE room. let em squirm. HA 

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Anaelsea said:
    How old are you?

Perhaps this party money would be better spent on some counselling?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards