Attire & Accessories Forum

strapless bra or sewn in cups?

My dress is in! yay!  I just  decided on my shoes today but still need undergarments to go in for my first fitting.   The dress is a strapless, sweetheart neckline and I am a D cup.   I hate strapless bra's because I feel I am constantly pulling it up, but also never invested in a really good one, which I would purchase for the wedding (any suggestions on a good brand?) .   How much support do sewn in cups give? This is my dress http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=19503&page=0&pageSize=36&keywordText=&keywordType=All

Re: strapless bra or sewn in cups?

• A girlfriend of mine sewed in a whole bra to her dress so she got the support holding it up. Maybe that would be a good option for you? I feel like you can never go wrong with a VS bra.
  • A girlfriend of mine sewed in a whole bra to her dress so she got the support holding it up. Maybe that would be a good option for you? I feel like you can never go wrong with a VS bra.

*STUCK IN DAMN BOX*
    I wish I could wear VS bras...I hear they're pretty :).  I'm a G cup and am going strapless, I very much second the idea of getting properly fitted at a specialty store.  They can do wonders
  • In US measurements I'm a 34DD. I know my "sister size" is a 36D. The 36D never fit me properly because of how tiny around the band I am. Anyways, I am going with a corset. I feel completely awesome in it and that's what I recommend, especially for the bigger girls.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @jenni1221 i have no advice, but wanted to say your dress is gorgeous!
  • try on your dress first you wont know what looks good until you try it on. i went out spent  a $$ on a corset long line bra. i am plus size but i have smaller cups and this bra did not come in a larger band size smaller cup so we were going to sew in cups into the big cups to make it work. went to try on my dress for the first time and the bra was popping up the top of the dress. so i ended up with a strapless bra.

do you have a strapless bra at home i would bring that with you  just to see if it would work or not or call the salon and see if they sell the undergarments and you can purchase them there
  • My daughter is a DD.  Her dress had a corset back.  She had cups sewn into the dress.  She felt completely supported.
  • I wear a 42D and had cups sewn into my dress.  It felt totally fine.  I was paranoid about wearing a bra with my dress after watching a friend have 1/4" of bra sticking out during her wedding last year.
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2013
    thanks for all the advice!   I do have a strapless bra, just not one I love.  Maybe i'll wear that to the fitting and then decide what to do. I wore it when first trying the dress on.  It is from VS, but I don't love it. 
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2013
    @jenni1221 i have no advice, but wanted to say your dress is gorgeous!

thank you!
  • Ven&Radio said:
    I wear a 42D and had cups sewn into my dress.  It felt totally fine.  I was paranoid about wearing a bra with my dress after watching a friend have 1/4" of bra sticking out during her wedding last year.

• Ven&Radio said:
    I wear a 42D and had cups sewn into my dress.  It felt totally fine.  I was paranoid about wearing a bra with my dress after watching a friend have 1/4" of bra sticking out during her wedding last year.

• jenni1221 said:
    thanks for all the advice!   I do have a strapless bra, just not one I love.  Maybe i'll wear that to the fitting and then decide what to do. I wore it when first trying the dress on.  It is from VS, but I don't love it. 

Stuck in the box!!!

This is what I'm doing. I have a couple strapless bras, but I hate wearing them. I'm a 38DD and I always feel like I have to keep pulling my strapless bra up. I'm going to wear one to my fitting and see what they say about sewing cups in. The salon also carries undergarments so if neither of those options work then we can find something else.
  • I would suggest going to get fitted for a good strapless bra. I went to Nordstrom to do this - my dress is strapless and I wasn't sure if sewn-in cups would be supportive. I have always worn a 36D but it turns out my actual size is 32DD. Clearly, with a band size 4 inches smaller, the strapless isn't going to fall down as much! So maybe get fitted and then try out the strapless to see? The one I ended up getting is the Wacoal Red Carpet bra.
  • I would suggest going to get fitted for a good strapless bra. I went to Nordstrom to do this - my dress is strapless and I wasn't sure if sewn-in cups would be supportive. I have always worn a 36D but it turns out my actual size is 32DD. Clearly, with a band size 4 inches smaller, the strapless isn't going to fall down as much! So maybe get fitted and then try out the strapless to see? The one I ended up getting is the Wacoal Red Carpet bra.
    I've heard Nordstrom is a good place to go, unfortunately there aren't any close to me that I can easily go to.   anyone know if macys or lord and taylor would be a good place to get fitted? 
  • Hi!  Great dress.  I also have a Maggie Sottero, first fitting was yesterday.  I'm going with sewn in cups (happily no strapless bra).  My girls are big (34DD) and the seamstress said with my dress (corset back) that this is most ideal.   It was AWESOME yesterday to not have a bra issue, and my girls were up high and not moving at all.  I have absolutely no concerns about the dress.  Def happy to go the sewn in route.  As for Macy's or Lord and Taylor----I may trust Lord and Taylor a little more. Or if there is a bra/lingerie boutique place or Bloomingdales they all do very good jobs.  
  • @kjvaracalli = thanks!  i'm going to go in this week for a fitting, and ask about cups being sewn in.  sounds most ideal and seems like they will do the job!  I don't want to have to be adjusting or pulling anything up on the day of the wedding!  
  • applezingapplezing member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2013
    This thread is so helpful! It had honestly never occurred to me that sewn in cups might be able to support DDs - I'm glad I have that option!

Thanks ladies :) 
  • I am a 40G and found a fabulous strapless bra at Nordstrom. It wasn't cheap ($70 but to be honest bras in my size usually run around that) but so worth it. I didn't tug at it once all day on my wedding day. My dress was a corset also and during the day (especially evening) I had to have it tightened as it seemed to loosen with dancing (and sweating while dancing), The plus side to the strapless bra is that is was a regular bra not a full corset so I use it open up my options on clothing in the summer time.
  • @erikan73 - what brand is it?   even if i end up getting cups, I think a good strapless bra would be a worthwhile investment!

• @jenni1221, I will check when I get home tonight. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards