Wedding Invitations & Paper

Hand Addressed Invites vs. Labels

2»

Re: Hand Addressed Invites vs. Labels

• The point is that you are supposed to make your guests feel like they are personally wanted at your reception and you should take the time to make them feel this way starting with the addressing of the envelope.

A label smacked on the envelope turns the wedding invitation from something that was very personal into something that resembles a mailing from a large bank or any other organization.   The personal sentiment becomes lost when you treat your guests as just one of many.
  • banana468 said:
    The point is that you are supposed to make your guests feel like they are personally wanted at your reception and you should take the time to make them feel this way starting with the addressing of the envelope.

A label smacked on the envelope turns the wedding invitation from something that was very personal into something that resembles a mailing from a large bank or any other organization.   The personal sentiment becomes lost when you treat your guests as just one of many.
    Point taken.  However, once someone hands over all their invites to a hired calligrapher to hand write (not the case of the OP), I would argue that the personalization is also lost.  All of our invites are printed, not handwritten in any event, so it's not as if those are really personalized.  TY notes are another story, which is why all of mine will be written and addressed by hand.
  • Neither, print them using a calligraphy font. That's how I'm doing it. My handwriting is awful and although I hand wrote save the dates, I don't want that on my invites. No one will really care and they get thrown away anyways.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Neither, print them using a calligraphy font. That's how I'm doing it. My handwriting is awful and although I hand wrote save the dates, I don't want that on my invites. No one will really care and they get thrown away anyways.
    I'm sort of leaning towards that. I just finished holiday cards and the hand addressing looks terrible. It's fine for holiday cards and TY notes, but it just looks so informal. I tried a test envelope and the printed calligraphy looks like I paid someone to do it. Although it actually took longer than writing them myself, since I had to hand feed it into the printer.
  • kgd7357 said:

Neither, print them using a calligraphy font. That's how I'm doing it. My handwriting is awful and although I hand wrote save the dates, I don't want that on my invites. No one will really care and they get thrown away anyways.
    I'm sort of leaning towards that. I just finished holiday cards and the hand addressing looks terrible. It's fine for holiday cards and TY notes, but it just looks so informal. I tried a test envelope and the printed calligraphy looks like I paid someone to do it. Although it actually took longer than writing them myself, since I had to hand feed it into the printer.
    I hear you. I mean, I hand wrote STDs and I messed up sooo many times and wasted a bunch of envelopes. I'll hand write Thank you card envelopes most likely, but I might print them too. eh. we'll see. I have to hit the "okay" button on my printer every time I print an envelope, or invite or inserts. freaking annoying. I'm sitting here doing it now on printing my RSVP envelopes lol
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Wow. Do whatever you want. We are laid back people. We are having a nice wedding, nothing fancy. There is no etiquette to follow because this is MY wedding. I don't care about the feelings of someone who doesn't like the way I address my envelope or whether or not I have this or that. If someone is offended then they don't need to be there. This is about two people who love each other. No one is being graded, this is real life, not school. So to this I say do you! Planning a wedding is stressful enough. You don't need to make it into something that isn't you just because proper etiquette dictates you "needing" to do it whatever way.
  • Wow. Do whatever you want. We are laid back people. We are having a nice wedding, nothing fancy. There is no etiquette to follow because this is MY wedding. I don't care about the feelings of someone who doesn't like the way I address my envelope or whether or not I have this or that. If someone is offended then they don't need to be there. This is about two people who love each other. No one is being graded, this is real life, not school. So to this I say do you! Planning a wedding is stressful enough. You don't need to make it into something that isn't you just because proper etiquette dictates you "needing" to do it whatever way.
    Oh, my dear Lord!  This is the silliest post ever.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • kgd7357 said:

Neither, print them using a calligraphy font. That's how I'm doing it. My handwriting is awful and although I hand wrote save the dates, I don't want that on my invites. No one will really care and they get thrown away anyways.
    We are printing our addresses on clear labels using a script font (can't remember which one). So when the label is put on the envelope it looks like it has been printed directly on the paper instead of a white label being stuck on there. We did this for our save the dates as well.
    Oh no.   Just no.   Stop typing now. 
  • CrystaH11CrystaH11 member
    First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    CMGragain said:
    Sorry, I should have used footnotes.  Emily Post, Amy Vanderbilt, Miss Manners.  This is not a personal opinion.  If you want to do it incorrectly, then go ahead, but at least admit it and stop making excuses.  People with terrible handwriting have the option of asking or paying someone else to do it for them.
    Not everyone has the money to pay other people to handwrite them. My handwriting isn't amazing, and while I'm going to be hand writing them anyway, I find it kind of irritating to insist people have to pay someone to write their invites if they have atrocious handwriting. People on small tight budgets can't just fork over a few hundred for someone to write addresses. If someone must, then use a nice label.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No one simply "has" bad handwriting.  I practiced for several days before addressing my daughter's invitations for her.  They looked very nice - not like my usual scrawl at all.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'm going to print directly on the envelope. My FI has terrible hand writing and I have carpal tunnel and it would be incredibly painful for me to try to write carefully on each envelope. Also I think the addresses being printed on the envelopes looks much much nicer than the hand written ones. I haven't received anything with a hand written address on it in years so I think this is one of those things that is dying out and honestly it is a small thing and not a big deal. I know no one who would be offended because the address on their invitation wasn't hand written.
  • Printing directly on the envelopes is nicer than tacky labels, IMHO.  I still prefer handwritten.
    I got a few Christmas cards this year that were addressed with computer printed labels, and had no personal message inside.  I crossed those people off my card list.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I was wondering the same thing, I have TERRIBLE handwriting and there is no way in hell I'm paying someone to address my envelopes, for my situation that would be a waste of money. I am probably going to use a clear label on the rsvp card envelopes because I am having trouble printing the address directly on the envelope because of the small size, but the actual invitations I planned on choosing a nice font and printing directly on the envelope. As far as etiquette is concerned, I don't care if it isn't the "right" thing to do, and it is definitely not a rude thing to do. Don't let etiquette rules force you to do something for your wedding that you don't like or don't want to do, everyone is different and every wedding is different.
  • I was wondering the same thing, I have TERRIBLE handwriting and there is no way in hell I'm paying someone to address my envelopes, for my situation that would be a waste of money. I am probably going to use a clear label on the rsvp card envelopes because I am having trouble printing the address directly on the envelope because of the small size, but the actual invitations I planned on choosing a nice font and printing directly on the envelope. As far as etiquette is concerned, I don't care if it isn't the "right" thing to do, and it is definitely not a rude thing to do. Don't let etiquette rules force you to do something for your wedding that you don't like or don't want to do, everyone is different and every wedding is different.
  • @Oliviaester1991  RSVP envelopes are usually pre-printed, not handwritten, because they are all going to the same address - yours!  No problem with that at all.  Run them through your computer if you are doing them yourself.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards