Attire & Accessories Forum

Bought the dress early and venue is changing...

I got this older Pronovias dress for dirt cheap.  I pulled the trigger on it waaaay early in the planning process, thinking we would have a small wedding in a small ballroom somewhere in the city (and it was literally cheap enough that I didn't have anything to lose).  Now that we are starting planning in earnest, FI says he wants a BIG wedding at a state park in the national forest here.  I love the idea, it's very "us".  It will be much less formal, though and can't help but have a woodsy theme to it.  So.  I love my dress.  Its a sheath, and not that formal, but it is all charmeuse satin and does have some sparkly beading on the bodice, plus a small train.  

I'm worried that it's to flashy for a wedding in the woods.  Most of the photos I like of woodland weddings have brides in very free flowing, "looser" dresses.  I like those, but I'm 6 feet tall.  Lots of billowy fabric will make me look like a yeti.  

What do you think?  Roll with this dress and rock the picnic tables, burlap and mason jars?  Or get something more fitting for the new venue?

Be gentle.  This is unaltered and with no foundation garments to flatten the mama cat belly.

Re: Bought the dress early and venue is changing...

• Hey- we have similar tastes! When I hear outdoor wedding I do think fabrics like tool and a soft look. But your dress is beautiful and I think the sheath design helps save it- it makes it more relaxed and less formal, even with the beading. I think it could be beautiful especially with relaxed hair and styling.
  • I would keep the dress, it looks stunning!
  • I would keep it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • If you love it- keep it! I am so nuts about my dress I'd wear it anywhere even if we changed last minute to my back yard or the court house! You look great in it and just because others do "flowy" doesn't mean you have to....just as others do mason jars doesn't mean you have to...

• Honestly, I am not fond of that dress.  But, if you love it then you can wear it in the woods if you want. 
  • I think that dress is pretty relaxed looking and will be fine for a wedding in the woods.  :)
  • I vote for keeping & rocking the dress you bought. To keep in with your surroundings I would go recommend a more relaxed/casual hair style like loose flowing curls instead of formal updo.

• love it, I say keep it!  
  • Thank you, ladies.  I'm gonna keep it and do flowers in my hair and maybe a sash with rustic looking fabric flowers on it.  I'm kind of relieved because our budget is tiny for that many people.  Now I just have to stop looking at pictures of other dresses...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards