Wedding Reception Forum

*Dry Wedding Reception*

Okay, so my to-be fiance have been discussing some wedding details and he seems to be pretty firm on not having alcohol. I'm completely on board with that, however... I have a lot of friends and family that drink religiously and I'm extremely worried that they will be bored. :( I would still like for there to be dancing and for everyone to have fun! I have heard about the espresso bar and love that idea! What I am needing help on is sort of an idea for a timeline with activities and transitioning into the alcohol-free reception? I noticed a lot of wedding timelines had cocktail hour and what not.

Re: *Dry Wedding Reception*

• Your reasons for not wanting alcohol?  Is it a specific objection to alcohol for moral/religious/personal reasons, or is it a cost issue?

There's plenty of cool mocktails you can do - italian soda bar, smoothies, etc, but they'll be more spendy than punch, soda, coffee. 
  • DJ1827 said:
    Okay, so my to-be fiance have been discussing some wedding details and he seems to be pretty firm on not having alcohol. I'm completely on board with that, however... I have a lot of friends and family that drink religiously and I'm extremely worried that they will be bored. :( I would still like for there to be dancing and for everyone to have fun! I have heard about the espresso bar and love that idea! What I am needing help on is sort of an idea for a timeline with activities and transitioning into the alcohol-free reception? I noticed a lot of wedding timelines had cocktail hour and what not.

Are you guys engaged (as in, have mutually agreed marriage is in the near future) or not engaged?

Anyway, I've been to a number of dry weddings. I'll warn you - prepare for your reception to be shorter and a little less rowdy. I've never seen a dry reception last later than 9. If you're ok with that, go for it. There's nothing wrong with a dry wedding.

Cocktail hours don't necessarily have to serve cocktails; they are just designed to eat up time and host your guests while you take pictures. Just serve non-alcoholic drinks and apps during that time. Mocktails, iced tea, lemonade, Italian sodas, and coffee bars are all great alternatives. As for the timeline, you'll function how pretty much other wedding goes: mocktail/refreshment hour, dinner, toasts, dances, open up the dance floor (or some variation).

• You don't need "activities." Simply don't serve alcohol if you don't want to. And I'm confused....you have a "soon to be fiance"? Are you engaged or not?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Alcohol is never required at a wedding.  To complain about the refreshments offered is very rude.
    There is no difference between a reception with alcohol and a reception without alcohol.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Alcohol is never required at a wedding.  To complain about the refreshments offered is very rude.
    There is no difference between a reception with alcohol and a reception without alcohol.

There is no difference except for what @PDKH said. That a reception without alcohol will probably break up sooner than one with alcohol.
  • I attended one dry wedding (due to religious reasons) and the groom asked me why nobody was dancing!  The party wrapped up sooner than most, but the bride and groom intended it that way so they could hop in the car and drive to their honeymoon at a decent hour.

You are in no way required to have booze at your reception-  but I've had friends cut costs (if that's what you're looking for and it isn't a personal or religious preference) by choosing a byob venue or only serving their favorite red and white wines so everyone was relaxed but it wasn't the huge price tag of an open bar.

Do what works best for you!
  • There is no requirement that alcohol be served at a wedding.  It is rude of guests to "expect" it, although not rude of them to leave earlier than they would if alcohol was served.

You can still have dancing without alcohol.  You might serve "mocktails" instead.
  • OP - Alcohol is not required.  Just know that your reception will probably end earlier and might have a different vibe.   I would probably leave early because I don't hit the dance floor unless I've had a drink or two in me.  :D
  • I've been to lots of receptions without alcohol and the party doesn't necessarily wrap up sooner.  If you're concerned that not many people will be bored, make sure you have a good DJ who will involve people.  Also, could you talk to a few close friends who have bubbly personalities and share with them that you hope they'll light up the dance floor?
    I also agree with other PPs that say a cocktail hour doesn't have to involve alcohol.  I just went to a wedding in November that served only punch during this time.  
  • The one dry wedding I went to also didn't play music (apparently dancing was against their religion).  I was just a date for someone, but I have never been more bored in my life.  There was a 35 minutes slideshow of the couple's relationship so far and there were some really nice speeches and stuff, but I'd say the party definitely thinned out after dinner.
    I'm not sure how much of the suck-factor was the lack of music and how much was people complaining about lack of booze though (tacky though it was). 
    You say that your friend and family drink religiously, so this might be something to worry about, but as long as you've got SOMETHING they can do... :)
  • If you are going to cut alcohol (seriously nothing wrong with that) make sure your guests are entertained other ways. I would suggest stuff like Mocktails (you could even hire a cool bartender that does tricks), ice cream sundae bars, photo booths, reception entertainment. I went to a wedding once where the bride and groom hired a dance troupe to do the chinese lion dance, also went to one where the B&G graduated from UW-Madison and had Bucky Badger show up to take pics with guests.
  • I think entertainment is far more important than alcohol.  I just went to a wedding that had a full open bar but the DJ sucked and played the most awkward non-danceable music ever. Everyone left about an hour after dinner.  You don't need alcohol to have a good time.  If you don't want alcohol that is fine, just make sure your guests have plenty to do and are entertained. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards