Wedding Party

Choosing bridesmaids

I am having trouble choosing bridesmaids..we are on a tight budget. 
He has 4 sisters, I have 1. 
I really want his sisters in the wedding, but I have a couple close friends that might be offended. 
Two friends I have had for my lifetime, and one friend I have been close with since high school.
I also have one friend where I am in her wedding four months after mine...
help! 

Re: Choosing bridesmaids

• Choose your bridesmaids based on who is closest to you and who you want standing next to you most.  Not who you feel obligated to invite, not who might be insulted, who YOU want.  If his sisters need to be in the wedding, they can always stand on his side.  
  • How close are you to his sisters? If you're not super close, I don't think you're obligated to have them.

Also I know you're on a tight budget, but what difference would it make to have extra BM financially? In which case I say include the sisters and your friends!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am having trouble choosing bridesmaids..we are on a tight budget. 
    He has 4 sisters, I have 1. 
    I really want his sisters in the wedding, but I have a couple close friends that might be offended. 
    Two friends I have had for my lifetime, and one friend I have been close with since high school.
    I also have one friend where I am in her wedding four months after mine...
    help! 
    Remember, that for every person you add to the WP, you need to have a bouquet and also give them a thank you gift.  So costs can add up pretty quickly.

The question you need to ask yourself is this: if you had to hide a dead body at 3 AM, who would you call?  Those ladies (or gentlemen) should be the people that stand up next to you at your wedding.  Weddings aren't tit for tat, so just because you are in another friend's wedding, doesn't mean she needs to be in yours.

As for your FI's sisters, are you close to them?  If you are not close with them, you shouldn't have them in your WP.  You FSIL's can stand on your FI's side, if he wants them.
  • Your FI can have his sisters if he feels strongly. Is any one person closer than others? What about just having a MOH? Or there's nothing wrong with having no bridal party.
  • There's no tit for tat involved in choosing WP members.  If you're not close with your FI's sisters, they shouldn't be your bridesmaids.  They can stand with your FI.

But whomever you choose, you do need to keep in mind their schedules and budgets as well as yours.  Don't expect them to spend unreasonable amounts of money or time on your wedding.
  • I have to agree with PP, pick the person(s) you would call when you're in trouble or would be the first ones you called when you got engaged. Keep in mind people who will be supportive of you but be honest (but in a nice way) when you try on that wedding dress that looks horrible on you. Ones you can call when having a bridal meltdown. But like other PP, make sure you are respectful of the time they may have available and costs and if they can get along well with each other, that is a plus.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards