Attire & Accessories Forum

Not sure if it's possible to do this to my dress...

I bought a wedding gown that has a side zipper. I absolutely loved the dress when I bought it and I still love it, but I still have a vision stuck in my head of having buttons down the back of my wedding dress. The dress is an all lace, sleeveless, column dress. Do you think it would be possible to remove the side zipper and have a zipper with buttons put on the back of the dress?

Re: Not sure if it's possible to do this to my dress...

• tammym1001tammym1001 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2013
    I never really thought about that. I really do just want it for the look. Do you think anyone would be able to tell that they aren't functional buttons?

ETA: My regular seamstress doesn't do wedding dresses so I need to find someone. I thought I would figure out if it could be done first before I go searching for a seamstress in my area.
  • From my waist down were fake buttons. Like dresses that have buttons all the way to the train, those obviously aren't real. I, personally, think it'll cost a small fortune and doesn't seem like it's worth the money. 
  • I added buttons to my dress to hide the zipper. I did end up with real buttons because it is not all the way down the gown, but it was def. possible to do fake ones, that would look just as real. I say go for it! For me, it was a cost that was worth it because I too envisioned buttons. Go for it! 
    Oh! and I agree with PP that you don't need to move the zipper (if it is not obvious that it's on the side) and just add the fake buttons to the back. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden where the flowers are dead." - Oscar Wilde
  • I agree, leave the zipper. Hopefully it is hidden anyways. And yes you can add fake buttons just for the look. Not sure how much it costs but I was just trying on dresses this weekend and one did not have buttons but the sales girl said we could add them if that was what I wanted. Buttons were not a deal breaker for me but I do like them. Luckily I ended up buying a dress that happens to have them all the way down the train! But the dress actually closes with a zipper under the buttons.
  • I never really thought about that. I really do just want it for the look. Do you think anyone would be able to tell that they aren't functional buttons?

ETA: My regular seamstress doesn't do wedding dresses so I need to find someone. I thought I would figure out if it could be done first before I go searching for a seamstress in my area.
    My dress was an Allure with a zipper and fake buttons.  I thought it looked beautiful and no one noticed that they weren't real.
  • You ladies have been very helpful. I have another question. I forgot that I bought a sash to go with my dress. If I end up having buttons added, do you think I should have the sash sewn on so there isn't a bow in the back or just go ahead and tie it over the buttons and leave the bow?
  • No sash then you would cover the buttons

• No sash then you would cover the buttons

That's what I was thinking except I want the sash on the front of the dress because without it the front of the dress is very plain. I was thinking I could have the sash sewn on and then there wouldn't be a bow in the back to cover the buttons.
  • So I found a seamstress who told me she can do a little mock up to show me what the buttons would look like on the back of my dress. Yay!

She did tell me that they couldn't move the zipper to the back so it would be fake buttons with the hidden zipper on the side.
  • grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Can you just add fake buttons to the back? Moving the actual zipper seems like a ton of work. 

This is a question for a reputable seamstress.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards