Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Metered Parking

BecauseYouAreBecauseYouAre member
First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
edited December 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
We're getting married in a mid-sized city and there is no parking specifically designated for the church. Most of the near by parking is metered. I was wondering how to handle this? Should we find some way to cover the costs? If so any ideas? If not how do we tactfully let our guests know?

Re: Metered Parking

• Options
    I would check to make sure that the metered parking is enforced during the time of the wedding. A lot of times the fees are waived at night, on weekends, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would check with the church and see how they normally handle it, and if you want to cover the cost they may know who you should contact. Another option would be to see if there is a public parking garage nearby, and maybe you could work something out with them. My first stop would be the church though. Good luck!
  • Options
    I would find a way to pay for their parking, perhaps you could talk to the city/whoever runs the meters and pay for the parking ahead of time or work something out.  
  • Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    And if the meters are enforced, I don't think there's really any way you can pay for it short of handing each guest $1.50.  I suppose you could try calling the city and get bags put on the meters that you would pay for... but then anybody could use them.  I just don't see a real way to do that.

I would put a notice on the website so guests know the parking is metered and can plan accordingly.  If it's a midsize city that normally has limited parking, your guests probably aren't shocked.  If I were going to a wedding in, say, Hoboken, I would never drive.  If your guests know the area, you're probably fine.

ETA: Just had another idea.  Is there a nearby parking garage where you can arrange to pay for parking for your guests?  That would work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    In our city we're able to buy parking spots for the day at $15 per meter. Check with your city clerk's office to see if the city has a similar option. 
  • Options
    I would make sure there is something on your website about the parking being metered. If people live in the are they should know to expect parking to be limited. I don't think it is your responsibility to pay for parking for everyone. I had to make a choice when I was booking my venue of being a little further out and having a toll vs having to pay for parking. The toll won because it was cheaper then paying for parking. (I live in NYC).
  • Options
    Thanks. No garages. The church really was little help when I asked they infomed us when we booked of the meters and the cost so we can inform our guests but no solution to cover the cost. I belive most guests will drive in. Buying meters may be the way to go though at $15 each we'd need easily 75-100 spots. And I'd hate to have many of them taken by other people.

We're not doing a website would it be in bad taste to add the info on the directions card?

i.e.: metered parking available at x, y & z streets at the rate of $1.50 per hour.
  • Options
    @becauseyouare I would add it to the direction card. 
  • Options
    Even if there was a way to do it, you're not responsible for covering the costs. It's not expected for you to pay for gas money, or hotel accommodations for an out of town wedding! 

I'd just be sure to add the information to your website and directions card so your guests can be prepared. 
  • Options
    Where is your reception in relation to the church?  My friend got married in downtown Boston, and she had a shuttle from the hotel (reception location) to the church and back.  She just got 2 coach buses for everyone. 

• Options
    I don't like the "at the rate of $1.50 per hour" part.  I'd just put "metered parking available at x, y & z streets." 
  • Options
    I agree with the PPs' advice to put this information on an insert in your invitation and on your website if you have one.  I don't think you're responsible for covering the parking fees yourself though.
  • Options
    laurynm84 said:
    Where is your reception in relation to the church?  My friend got married in downtown Boston, and she had a shuttle from the hotel (reception location) to the church and back.  She just got 2 coach buses for everyone. 
    This is what I was going to suggest as well.  Is it possible for people to park at the reception venue or a hotel with a room block and shuttle to the church?  Renting a shuttle sounds a lot cheaper than 100 metered spots at $15 ea :)
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    Does the church expect all of their congregation members to pay for parking when they attend church every weekend? I'm not a city girl but that sounds weird to me!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:

Does the church expect all of their congregation members to pay for parking when they attend church every weekend? I'm not a city girl but that sounds weird to me!

Most city meters are free on Sunday, but not Saturday when most weddings occur. This is a common issue for downtown churches.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    @photokitty Do you know why? I live in the next town over from our state capitol, and all the meters there are free on weekends.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Laws differ from city to city, but almost all have Sundays and holidays as free parking days. My guess is it dates back to not working on the Sabbath and holidays. That and to make more money when people Are eating and shopping downtown. :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Fascinating!
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards