Massachusetts-Boston

Reception Venue in MA for under $5000???

My fiance and I just started planning for our wedding and I thought that $5000.00 was a hefty budget for reception/ceremony space and dinner for between 125-150 guests. All of the vendor quotes I'm getting back are around $7500.00 - $10000.00 for the event. We are looking at a Saturday in March (off-season = lower rates) and it seems like $7500.00 is the lowest places are going. Anyone out there have any ideas or suggestions. I'd rather not look into a VFW hall, but I really can't adjust the budget for this.

Answers

• I booked the Endicott Estate in Dedham for $3000 for a summer Friday. They have lower rates off season and you can find them online. Lots of the estates: Lyman, Bradley, etc, are in the under $5000 range but check out how many people they hold. Endicott holds up to 150 indoors but some of the others would require you to rent a tent which can be a few thousand dollars more!
  • Sorry, should have added this is only rental space and tables/ chairs. Catering is separate. One quote I got so far is $8000 for 125 people. If you do a lunchtime or brunch wedding you can save big on food cost.
  • I think it depends what you want for food. I live in Gloucester and there is a place called the harbor room you can rent off season for $150 an hour. Then if you did like a catered BBQ or something you could get by really inexpensively. My fiancé and I were thinking about this company before we got a really great deal with the salem waterfront hotel. http://www.tabbq.com/catering.html

Good luck!
  • Blue ribbon BBQ does catering too, they are great
  • I was going to tell you about my venue- we are having the ceremony & reception there and it includes all rentals, linens, catering. It's costing us under $5,000 BUT we only have 60 guests...is there any way you could cut your guest list? Anyway, it's Wachusett Mountain in Princeton, MA. 

• I went to a wedding at the Dedham Estate (two actually). The dining room inside I think can fit up to 150 (but it would be tight).  The dance floor is in a separate room.  Since you can bring in your own catering and liquor, the price is going to be much lower than other venues.  Any venue where you can bring your own drinks is going to be a huge discount.  I think liquor is costing the same as the food at my wedding! 
  • We had our wedding at Coachman's Lodge, a restaurant with function rooms in Bellingham, MA (don't know what part of the state you are looking at).

But anyway, they had a really nice landscaped area out back for ceremonies ($500), and for the reception room, they only charged for the food/alcohol (we spent around $5000 with 90 guests) ...there wasn't a fee to use the room itself. It's not a glitzy ballroom type place, but I wanted a summery garden vibe, and it fit the bill!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am both new here and not sure if you're still looking. I just booked the Boylston Schul-Verein German Club in Walpole for much much...MUCH less than 1000. Best of luck.
  • My head is spinning with decisions. Do I find a place that caters and does the linens or a place that I have to hire separate companies and do more work
  • We booked a local yacht club that was not too expensive and has great views of Boston.  They provide linens at a reasonable cost and we have found a great caterer (champions in Peabody) the only thing we had to factor in was the cost of china, a planner, caterer, linens so I think overall we're probably close to 8k for 150 people including all that was mentioned above.
  • Aja319 which yacht club did you choose?
  • The Leicester Country Club in Leicester is our venue -- we ended up booking there because it was really nice but also because we loved the prices. We are looking at $4000 for food for 100 people, and that gives us chef stations and includes some other little things. Seated dinners were cheaper.  The room we booked had a $500 room fee -- you'd need the larger room for anything over 100, and I can't remember what the booking fee was, but they actually gave us a deal on ours because we're on a budget (and we're getting married in July, so it wasn't exactly an off-season discount!) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards