Outdoor Weddings

Outdoor Wedding- No Plan B

So I have just chosen the perfect venue. It has the best of every world. The 300 person pavilion has a river on one side and is wooded on the other. We're going to have the ceremony on a beautiful bridge that leads into the woods. Unfortunately, there is not an indoor option. The pavilion is covered, so I wasn't going to worry about renting a tent and it's not in my budget to also pay for a second just-in-case location. Would it be alright to include an extra note with my invitations that says, "This will be an outdoor wedding, rain or shine, so bring an umbrella just in case!" and provide a few extra umbrellas? 

Re: Outdoor Wedding- No Plan B

• Can you not squeeze in a small space under the pavilion (and have people seated at their tables) if you absolutely had to? What about not setting up a gift table or buffet table or something else until after the ceremony? 

I have a feeling if the day of your wedding arrives and it's raining, many guests will just not show. I would think a ceremony in the rain would be miserable, for you (your dress, hair, makeup, your bridesmaids, etc.) and for your guests (how on earth would you keep seats dry before guests sit in them?). Honestly, I'm not sure I would attend a ceremony knowing I'd be lounging around in the rain.

I'd strongly recommend forming a backup plan for the pavilion. I wouldn't even know what to think if I got an invitation telling me to bring an umbrella. 
  • I was thinking about squeezing some extra room under the pavilion for the ceremony, but I also don't want anyone to expect the wedding to be indoors and come unprepared. We'd have to have a processional through the rain to the pavilion, either way. I'd personally prefer to make the ceremony a quick endeavor with umbrellas. And if people decide not to show up, I probably didn't want them there anyway. (:
  • For twice the price I can rent the whole park instead of just the pavilion. If I do that they might let me have the ceremony in the bait/tackle shop. Ha! That could either be really cute or a fishy disaster.
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    We had a bride here a couple of years ago whio had no.plan b and got soaked. Ok think about this, you wouldn't want there if they wouldn't come due to rain, right,? You wouldn't consider them much of a friend? Well, what kind of a friend would expect people to.sit in the rain for a wedding? 2 way street there'...

No.way would I attend an event in the rain! That s incredibly poor planning. Your venue is not perfect.
  • So I have just chosen the perfect venue. It has the best of every world. The 300 person pavilion has a river on one side and is wooded on the other. We're going to have the ceremony on a beautiful bridge that leads into the woods. Unfortunately, there is not an indoor option. The pavilion is covered, so I wasn't going to worry about renting a tent and it's not in my budget to also pay for a second just-in-case location. Would it be alright to include an extra note with my invitations that says, "This will be an outdoor wedding, rain or shine, so bring an umbrella just in case!" and provide a few extra umbrellas? 
    Any venue chosen that has an inherent risk of its event being ruined by weather is far from perfect.  It's not just rain you need to worry about.  Umbrellas will occlude the views of many guests.  Women wearing heels run the risk of slipping and falling on wet surfaces.  You don't say where you are or what the wedding date is, but you could have temperatures that also make for an uncomfortable day.  

To be so flippant about the comfort of your guests is very disrespectful and self centered.
  • How about the tent option plus the pavilion as a back up? Usually you can reserve one without paying for it unless it rains the day of. That's my understanding, anyway.
  • Just plan to have the ceremony under the pavilion, with guests seated at their tables. Hopefully, you've chosen a date with only a small risk of inclement weather and you'll have good luck!
  • What about renting just tent sides that canbe attached to pavilion to keep the rain from coming in the sides?

But I do agree with you that it is a good idea to let the guests know that in case of rain, the ceremony will be held under the pavilion. Then if the weather turns bad, they can decided based on how bad it is (light rain versus monsoon) if they want to attend or not & if so, they can be prepared.

Good luck, I hope you end up with a good weather day for your wedding.

• Okay, I found a spot with an indoor option! However, it is two and a half hours away and I can only reserve it for the day of. Would it be okay to take my MOH to the site and show her where everyone is to stand and let her orchestrate it the day of instead of having a rehearsal? Also, should I have a rehearsal dinner if there is no rehearsal?
  • And even if I hadn't found an indoor option, "self centered" is a little harsh. I'm just going to enjoy myself and not let rain stand in my way.
  • And even if I hadn't found an indoor option, "self centered" is a little harsh. I'm just going to enjoy myself and not let rain stand in my way.
    The attitude you displayed in your posts makes you sound very self centered, and readers can only go by what you have written.  You said you found the "perfect" venue.  It sounds perfect from an aesthetic point of view, but it is definitely not perfect in terms of comfort for your guests.  You followed up with another post and said, " And if people decide not to show up, I probably didn't want them there anyway. (:"  This statement also does not sound as if you are considering your guests whatsoever.  When, based on your posts, you make it sound as if you are putting the importance of a venue over your guests, that is self centered.

Still self-centered and very unrealistic.
  • Okay, I found a spot with an indoor option! However, it is two and a half hours away and I can only reserve it for the day of. Would it be okay to take my MOH to the site and show her where everyone is to stand and let her orchestrate it the day of instead of having a rehearsal? Also, should I have a rehearsal dinner if there is no rehearsal?
    How many people are you inviting and do they all live near you or near this new location? I personally would not drive 2.5 hours for a wedding unless it were my best friend or my sibling. I would be annoyed, an hour is reasonable, maybe even an hour and a half but no more than that. 
    And no you don't need a rehearsal dinner if you don't have a rehearsal. 

• jenna8984 said:

How many people are you inviting and do they all live near you or near this new location? I personally would not drive 2.5 hours for a wedding unless it were my best friend or my sibling. I would be annoyed, an hour is reasonable, maybe even an hour and a half but no more than that. 
    So you're not inviting anyone from out of town to your own wedding? All your guests are local and don't have to travel at all to get there?

OP, no, you do not need to have a rehearsal unless there is something complicated about your wedding. I think it's a great idea to do a walk-through with your MOH so she can help everything go smoothly.

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 said:
    jenna8984 said:

So you're not inviting anyone from out of town to your own wedding? All your guests are local and don't have to travel at all to get there?

OP, no, you do not need to have a rehearsal unless there is something complicated about your wedding. I think it's a great idea to do a walk-through with your MOH so she can help everything go smoothly.

Yea actually my venue is within 1 hour of every person invited. Everyone doesn't live in MY town but they all live in surrounding towns within one hour. Except one couple from across the country who have wanted to come here on vacation for a while anyways. I guess it's different for people who have moved and have family spread out. But I meant in my case, all of us live in this one 40 mile circumference so it would be silly if I chose a place 3 hours away because then everyone would have to make the drive.  

• BarryToBeX3BarryToBeX3 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2014
    Okay. My options in my little bumfuck town are this: Outdoor option with no plan B, outdoor option with a plan B for $6,000 or $10,000 that I can't afford, or an outdoor option with a plan B that I can afford that is 2+ hours away. Ever heard of a destination wedding? People have them. Either way, I said that I would most likely move my guests under the pavilion after that was suggested, even though I'd prefer getting wet. If they would rather not attend my wedding than sit under a covered pavilion on a rainy day or carry an umbrella, then no I don't want them there. Most of my guests are the type who would gladly dance in the rain and make the best of the bad weather.
  • Sooo, STILL self-centered and very unrealistic.  Nice.
  • @BarrytoBeX3 - I would go with the Outdoor option and move to the pavilion if you so choose in inclement weather. So, technically you DO have a plan B actually. :) 

I went to a outdoor ceremony the last weekend in October. It was very cold, they didn't say the ceremony was outdoors. If I knew that, my Texas-a$$ would of brought a parka!! lol

Then right before the ceremony started it started sleeting and 30 mph wind gusts.... I didn't mind toughing it out for the bride and groom, this was their day - and I'd do it over again in a heartbeat - but the thing that was horrible was the pastor kept going on and on and on with unnecessary readings/etc that the groom later told us he wasn't even supposed to be adding!! So what could of been a short and sweet ceremony and then we could go get warm and head to the reception area - ended up being a longer drawn out frustrating mess. I felt bad for the bride and groom (and bridesmaids in their dresses)!  The one thing I told my fiance is if they are planning a outdoor wedding that late in October they should of at least rented a couple heaters for the guests while we sat and waited.

For the record, I do think the self-centered and selfish comments are a little much. You're allowed to be slightly selfish, as it is your wedding day. I feel like you are taking your guests into consideration but you also are not going to alter your whole wedding vision on the SMALL chance it may rain and some guests may get a little wet.  best of luck to you!!  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @blondeej - it you want an outdoor wedding you have a plan B so your guests aren't freezing, sweating to death, or wet.  If you can't afford to do that, you don't have an outdoor wedding.  The day stops being about the couple when they involve other people.  You invite people you take care of them.
  • Uh, saying you don't care if guests, who are spending their time and money on you, might have to sit in the rain is being selfish and immature. 

And saying that you wouldn't want them there if they are unwilling to sit in the rain is judgmental and ridiculous. 
  • @kmmssg - I was a guest in that situation and I was not bothered. It was their day, that's what they wanted, we agreed to go. No worries on our end! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @KnotPorscha

onsite, you cannot advertize here.

• When did I say they would have to sit in the rain? THERE'S A FUCKING PAVILION! 
  • I was thinking about squeezing some extra room under the pavilion for the ceremony, but I also don't want anyone to expect the wedding to be indoors and come unprepared. We'd have to have a processional through the rain to the pavilion, either way. I'd personally prefer to make the ceremony a quick endeavor with umbrellas. And if people decide not to show up, I probably didn't want them there anyway. (:
    I'm pretty sure it was this post that got us thinking you'd rather have guests sitting in the rain holding umbrellas than under the pavilion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards