Attire & Accessories Forum

Did you buy your photo dream dress?

Has anyone here actually bought the  dream dress they fell in love with after seeing a picture online?
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Did you buy your photo dream dress?

• I did! I had 3 dresses that I loved but the one I chose was the first choice (Mori Lee 6749):) 10 months until i get to wear it :) It looks like a different dress on me! lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was absolutely positive this was the one, in Ivory. I went in saying, 'no beading whatsoever...'

I got this one, in White. Of course, the online photo does it zero justice, but it has a ton of beading on the bodice.

The only thing they really have in common is the general shape.
  • Nope. This was my dream dress, but I looked like a birthday cake in it. I never in a million years thought I'd end up in the style of dress I did. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I did. I had already done some in person dress shopping though and narrowed down what I was looking for, but none of the stores seemed to have exactly what I wanted. So I started searching online and found a dress that had all the elements I wanted. None of the stores had sample to try, since it was last years style, but they were able to get sample on loan from designer... But it would cost me $150 just to try on. I debated whether it was worth the cost, but after more shopping and not being able to get this dress out of my mind, I decided I had to try it on. And after waiting a couple weeks for it to come in, as soon as I put that dress on I knew it was my perfect dress. It was exactly as I had imagined it.

I don't think I would have picked the right dress online right up front though. But since I had already tried on several dresses I knew exactly what looked good on me and what I was looking for. I already knew the dress shape, bodice style, neckline, skirt shape & style, material, etc. that I wanted. I just had to find it.

• As a plus size bride, I didn't really have a photo dream dress.  My body looks nothing like the women who model most wedding dresses, so there was no point in getting my hopes up about most photos.  Even when looking at plus sized lines, the "plus size" models are never all that big (if anything they tend to be matronly, which also doesn't help).  If I can't even picture myself in a dress, how can I fall in love with it?  Going shopping in person, it was much easier to find things that flattered me and my shape, and therefore fall in love with.  The only things I knew for sure when I went shopping was I didn't want something super tight, no dropped waist or mermaid styles, and nothing too blingy/sparkly -- otherwise, I was open to trying almost anything.  It worked out well - I found a dress I fell in love with and it looked awesome on my wedding day!
  • I didn't have an exact photo of a dress, but I pictured exactly what I wanted and ended up buying exactly that.  Lace, fit and flare with some beading.  
  • Nope.  I thought I would get an a-line ballgown and felt like I was playing dress up when I put those on.  I ended up with a cross between a mermaid and fit and flare.
  • The dress I loved online irritated my skin! I bought a totally different dress. 

However, the beadwork and the illusion neckline irritated my skin. I ended up with this one:

It is so incredibly comfortable!
  • I went in with the idea that I'd get a taffeta, a-line dress, possibly with pockets or one strap (kind of like this).  I was also adamant about NOT having a dress with a bubble hem. 

I ended up falling in love with this dress.  I probably will end up changing the bubble hem in the end, but I love my dress! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I found a dress online that I thought I absolutely loved and I thought it would look great on me. I had never tried on bridal gowns before though so I tried on a whole bunch of different dresses, but in the end I did end up buying the original one from the online picture that I loved.
  • I did! I found my perfect dress online before I went to the shop. I was sure I wouldn't get it, $1200 was way more than I'd want to spend on a one time dress. But I tried it on, and it ended up looking beautiful! Plus on a super exciting note, I ended up only paying just over $200 for it since they were trying to make room for new inventory with the new year's styles.
  • Sadly, no. The picture I've always been in love with was my mother in her dress, which was actually my great grandmother's dress from 1910. When I attempted to try it on it was too small for me and too delicate to do any alterations on. Probably really too delicate to even wear. Here was the initial back up dress that I thought I would get: https://www.etsy.com/listing/153574604/stunning-beaded-capped-sleeve-wedding?ref=favs_view_6 But then I ran across the dress below on final sale for just $200 online. I took a risk and bought it without even trying it on. It's a little on the tight side, and I'm not head-over-heels about it, but 1) I'm going off this drug that made me gain 30 pounds, so hopefully it will fit better soon 2) For $200 I'll wear something I like, but maybe don't love.
  • I didn't! The "Dream Dress" was the first one I tried on and it was extremely underwhelming. But It did get me into Alfred Angelo, which is where i did find my dress! It is soooo opposite and different from what I pictured, but I didn't know that I could look good in a Fit and Flare as a plus size person. A-lines made me look bigger, but the form fitting with some ruching was much more slimming. 
  • I did. Stella York 5757. It has more flare in it and is heavier than I thought it would be. Still, I cannot wait for him to see me in it!

• AddieL73 said:
    Nope. This was my dream dress, but I looked like a birthday cake in it. I never in a million years thought I'd end up in the style of dress I did. 

My dream dress was a bridal ball gown. Very detailed, either off the shoulders or strapless. I can't find the pic of it (it's an older gown i think) and I could barely walk in it O.O The thing was HUUUGE on me.

I thought wearing mermaid was going to be too sexy (i'm big busted and petite everywhere else >.<) but I tried the style that fit my body shape and OMG I LOVE MY DRESS NOW haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The dress I loved online irritated my skin! I bought a totally different dress. 

However, the beadwork and the illusion neckline irritated my skin. I ended up with this one:

It is so incredibly comfortable!
    Same here- I was dying for lace illusion neckline and every one I put on the lace was so heavy and itchy, not dainty and delicate like I had imagined! I still got lace fit n flare like I wanted but with a different neckline. 

• I KNEW that i was going to buy a strapless ball gown with LOADS of beads and sparkles and sequins and detail. I figured the damned thing would weigh 40 pounds and I would gladly drag that sucker around all night. I tried on a bunch of them, none of them were quite right. Then I walked out of the dressing room in this one. My girls just stared and I turned around to look in the mirror and burst into tears. Needless to say I bought it. Don't mind the expression on my face.... I was still a little weepy. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kerigirl9Kerigirl9 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014

Photo just won't upload.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I never had a photo dream dress.  I was pretty confident of the silhouette that would look best on me, and I did buy that.  But otherwise I was open to trying on different dresses until I found one that was the "wow" factor for me.
  • I did! I knew it was the one the moment I saw it. Even tried on several other faves, but it still won out.

• Nope, I was sure I wanted a V-neck lace dress.  When I tried on that style, the lace was too stiff, not flattering, and the V-neck showed way too much cleavage for me. I ended up with a strapless ballgown, beaded silk-satin top with tulle skirt.  I've heard similar stories from a lot of girls, you have to remember that just because something looks good on a model, doesn't mean it will work for your  body type.
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2014
    I never had a photo dream dress.  I had five or six photos from googling that I thought were nice.  I knew I wanted A-line, straps of some sort but NO spaghetti straps and no long sleeves, possibly a one shoulder, and I wanted something satiny/shiny fabric - not all lace - with some beading.  

I browsed David's Bridal, didn't find anything that was quite what I was looking for, looked around on Simply Bridal, narrowed it down to three, eliminated one of those three, debated between the two, asked H's opinion, and then chose one.  It came in, and I liked it.  I never had an "oh my goodness!" *tears* moment.

ETA: Also, I didn't have a strict budget but I knew I wasn't going to go above $300 or so, so that cut out a LOT of dresses.
  • this was my dream dress http://www.morilee.com/Bridals/julietta/3112
    but the salon i went to did not have it to try on.

this was the dress i was unsure if i wanted to try on but once i put it on i knew this possibly could be the dress i slept on it then went back and purchased it
    http://www.morilee.com/Bridals/julietta/3098

• this was my dream dress http://www.morilee.com/Bridals/julietta/3112
    but the salon i went to did not have it to try on.

this was the dress i was unsure if i wanted to try on but once i put it on i knew this possibly could be the dress i slept on it then went back and purchased it
    http://www.morilee.com/Bridals/julietta/3098

I like you dream dress but LOOOVE the dress you actually got!!! =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm petite and when looking at evening gowns online one night I fell in love with a white beaded chiffon number. Bought it then and there. So glad I did; it's a sheath and light despite the beads. Other more traditional gowns would drown me. So yes, I got my dream dress online!

• @debmon - I love your dress! So pretty and I am digging the illusion neckline!

• not even close. i went in wanting a slim cut, modern, sleek look and ended up with a froofy ballgown!
  • Not at all.  I was sure I wanted a fit and flare style, specifically this dress http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?style=JSM1307LU.  I ended up with this ballgown http://www.allurebridals.com/products/8862 since it was just so flattering and fun.
  • Not really. I got almost the same shape but I have been looking and loving the bijou dress from amsale (or something very similar) for years and was never even able to try it on. There is a dress at davids bridal like it but it was already sold before my appointment. I ended up saying yes to another dress that I love but still think about the other one a lot. Worst part is that I've been told that one has been discontinued so ill never know if I truley loved it or just a picture.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards