Catholic Weddings
Options

Favorite Old Testament Reading?

Fi and I are choosing the readings for our wedding and can't seem to find an Old Testament reading we both enjoy and agree on.  Any thoughts?  I'll admit that I am somewhat sensitive to some of the depictions of women in the Old Testament and also that some of the readings that reference a marriage bed or similar (Tobit) aren't really what I am  looking for either.  There are two I liked from Sirach and Ruth but Fi thinks they are both possibly too short or wouldn't translate as well to non-Catholics.   Thanks in advance!

Re: Favorite Old Testament Reading?

• Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited July 2012
    I agree with cfas.  Do what YOU like and don't worry about what others think.  There is a link at the top of this page in a pinned post with different reading options.  We used the genesis reading (I don't remember the chapter/verse numbers specifically) that talks about man and wife becoming one flesh, man leaving his family to be with his wife, what God joins, no man must separate etc.
  • Options
    We used the Tobit reading where Tobias and Sarah pray together the night of their wedding, because (and the priest used our reasoning in his homily) it was such a great display of a couple building their marriage around their faith on God.  Their first act as husband and wife was to thank God for His blessings.

And I agree about not worrying about what your nonCatholic guests will think.  My family is Protestant, and both our fathers did the readings in our wedding.  At first, I wanted all non-apocryphal readings so my parents wouldn't go crazy, but in the end, the Tobit passage was what spoke to us.  Plus my FIL did the OT reading, so it was no big deal for anyone.  =)
    Anniversary

• Options
    We also used the Tobit reading for reasons similar to Prof. (that were also included in the homily!) It is what spoke to us. I also personally love the Genesis 2 reading about the creation of Eve.

I know lots of ladies around here over time have used the Ruth reading (assuming it is "where you go, I will go, etc.")

All of that said, I agree with everyone else. Go with what speaks to you and your fiance, and don't worry about anything/anyone else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We're going with the reading from Song of Songs - stern as death is love.  We almost went with a reading from Ecclesiastes 4, I think it's 9-12 or 13 (two are better than one, and a three-fold cord is not easily broken).  I loved them both, and FI ultimately preferred the Song of Songs reading, so we chose that one.

The readings you choose can really be a reflection of how you and FI see your relationship with eachother, with God, etc., so I defintely agree that you should choose the readings that most speak to you as a couple, and try not to worry too much about what others will think of your choices.
  • Options
    ^^^We're using the same one. Of all the examples that were given in "Together for Life," that was the one we appreciated the most.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'd suggest learning more about the history and meaning of the readings, because when going deeper, you'll find the depth of the meaning of the story is absolutely beautiful. 

Tobias and Sarah:
    Sandwiched between the old and new arks of the covenenant (where if one touches the ark unworthily, they die) is the story of Tobias, who under the scare of possible death has the courage to continue to marry Sarah-- he does not die, because he views his wife not as an object, but first as a sister and daughter of God. This story is the example of purity in marriage and love, 
  • Options
    I think someone mentioned these but we're going with either:

A reading from the Song of Songs 2:8-10, 14, 16a; 8:6-7a

Hark! my lover–here he comes
    springing across the mountains,
    leaping across the hills.
    My lover is like a gazelle
    or a young stag.
    Here he stands behind our wall,
    gazing through the windows,
    peering through the lattices.
    My lover speaks; he says to me,
    “Arise, my beloved, my dove, my beautiful one, and come!
    “O my dove in the clefts of the rock,
    in the secret recesses of the cliff,
    Let me see you,
    let me hear your voice,
    for your voice is sweet,
    and you are lovely.”
    My lover belongs to me and I to him.
    He says to me:
    “Set me as a seal on your heart,
    as a seal on your arm;
    For stern as death is love,
    relentless as the nether world is devotion;
    its flames are a blazing fire.
    Deep waters cannot quench love,
    nor floods sweep it away.”
    The word of the Lord.

Or:

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Two are better than one,
       because they have a good return for their labor:
    If either of them falls down,
       one can help the other up.
    But pity anyone who falls
       and has no one to help them up.
    Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
       But how can one keep warm alone?
    Though one may be overpowered,
       two can defend themselves.
    A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

I'm not really worried about them being too short- we'll instruct our readers to go slow and pause as neccessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards