Massachusetts-Boston

Experienced photog under $5k (incl. album + engagement session)?

I'm hoping to spend no more than $5,000 on wedding photography, including an engagement session, a flush mount album, some prints, and any necessary taxes. I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding decent photographers who fit the bill. I'm looking for photojournalism with an artistic touch. I'm in love with Corinna Raznikov's work (http://corinnaraznikov.com), but it's looks like she'll be beyond budget. Does anyone have others recommendations?

I'm also wondering how crucial it is to use a photographer familiar with your venue. I'm in contact with someone within our budget whose work I like quite a bit, but he hasn't shot at our venue and doesn't seem to have much experience yet shooting in locations like the Public Garden and Copley, where we hope to do portraits. My wedding is 20 months away, so perhaps I can assume he'll have more experience in those locations by that time? (He's based in Somerville and shoots primarily in the Boston area). Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Experienced photog under $5k (incl. album + engagement session)?

• highly recommend john loconte from www.johnlophoto.com we used him years ago and still rave about his work. his prices are unbelievable for his quality of work and he's become one of the best in the area. def! worth meeting imho!

hope this helps!
  • Highly recommend http://xuliuphotography. I believe they have a package for two photographers and an album. 
  • I just booked Portrait New England for my wedding, based on a friend's recommendation. They are a husband and wife team. They have been really great about working with my budget, which is lower than yours.

As for the question about whether the photographer should be familiar with the venue- this was a concern for me as well but my photographers assured me that it would not be an issue at all. They had a few different things to say about it that reassured me but I don't remember exactly what. Just talk it over with them if you like their stuff.

• I seriously cannot recommend Nicole Montmarquet enough. She's based out of North Andover, and I swear the way she works wit light is straight up magic. She's under budget for you too, I think. Check her out! www.nicolemontmarquetphotography.com/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Amber Shomo with Forevercandid photography!! She's AMAZING!! She's based out of Salem but will travel.

Forevercandid.com

I'm not entirely sure what she charges nowadays...I got married 2 years ago and I know she's gone up in price since then. But with everything you've listed, I think she'd be under 5K.

Goodluck!
  • I recommend Sue Lynch, suelynchphotography.com. She is a wonderful woman to spend your wedding day with, and has experience as a real photojournalist. My package had all of your requirements for under $2500, too. Check out her Facebook page, she posts great albums from her weddings.
  • 1026 Photography... Kerri has been absolutely amazing! I am blown away by our engagement pictures, can't wait for the wedding pics!!
  • We booked with david barnes, he did our engagement photos already and they look great. he also is super quick
  • ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    ETA: nevermind, I think my suggestions are just over that.
    Anniversary
  • Thanks for all of the input, everyone! Are most of you getting albums through your photographer? I'm starting to wonder if I should spring for an experienced photographer I'm extremely confident in and do the album myself (not on Snapfish or Shutterfly, but through a company like Somerset. It looks like I could do one for around $500, as opposed to the $2000 quotes I'm getting from photogs). I'm not sure I need the gorgeous finishings and archival quality that comes with the higher prices when the photos themselves are beautiful. Thoughts?
  • I highly recommend:

http://www.imcreativephotography.com

You should definitely be able to get photo services and album for your budget.
  • rmariet said:

Thanks for all of the input, everyone! Are most of you getting albums through your photographer? I'm starting to wonder if I should spring for an experienced photographer I'm extremely confident in and do the album myself (not on Snapfish or Shutterfly, but through a company like Somerset. It looks like I could do one for around $500, as opposed to the $2000 quotes I'm getting from photogs). I'm not sure I need the gorgeous finishings and archival quality that comes with the higher prices when the photos themselves are beautiful. Thoughts?

$2000 just for the album? That seems nuts. I am getting an album through my photographer, and I think it only added about $700 to the package price, which still seems high to me but I know it's for her time and the quality finishings so that's ok. I would have done Shutterfly, but my dad offered it as a gift. He's a pro photographer himself, so Shutterfly makes him a bit stabby.

Honestly, I value a great album too, but most of my married friends say they don't look at theirs a ton. $2000 just seems way too steep; even if you have the budget for that, I think it'd be better to spend it on a second shooter, a higher quality photographer, or even nice framing for a couple of your favorite prints.
  • I am getting an album through my photographer- A thousand Moments Photography. We haven't used him yet but I am really excited about him (Erik Waddell) he has great reviews, has his degree in fine art photography, and a good website! We have a 3k package that includes a 500 dollar album credit. So you can get the cheapest album he makes or you can use it to upgrade to a leather one. He also helps design the layout, I think it will be great! 

• rmarietrmariet member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2013
    @ashleyep: What were your recommendations? It's looking increasingly like we'll have to go over budget or eliminate an album and/or engagement shoot. Thanks!
  • I recommend DD Pro Imaging. I can't wait to do my wedding with them. They are very artistic and the main reason I chose them is because they do incredible portrait sessions.  They do some remarkable work. You can definitely do everything under $4000.00. Now about the wedding album, I used My publisher for other things and got an incredible album. Photographers use the same websites that you find and up charge on everything. If you are patient, then you can definitely do it yourself for so much cheaper. 
  • I highly recommend my photographer, Frozen In Time Photography..she has been in the business a few years and is absolutely AMAZING for the prices she charges.  I got an album, engagement pictures, she did my rehearsal dinner, and I had 2 photographers (herself and an associate) for the entire day for $3,000.. check her out - www.frozenintimephotography.us .  She's out of Tiverton, RI but travels pretty much anywhere you want her. 
  • DimeryPhotography.com She's amazing!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Definitely check out 21summit Studios! I was extremely impressed with their work - the high quality of $7-8k photographers but for half the price! Very artistic eye and offer VERY good package deals for wedding & engagement shoots :) 

• Patricia Walsh Photography out of Hanover MA
    I got my album and 2 parents albums, my enegagement session and a bunch more stuff.
    Not to mention pictures came out fantastic and really quick!
    http://patriciawalshphotography.com/

• rmariet said:
    @ashleyep: What were your recommendations? It's looking increasingly like we'll have to go over budget or eliminate an album and/or engagement shoot. Thanks!
    rmariet Just seeing this now. You probably already have one selected, but I'm using Lauren Methia. She doesn't use a second shooter unless she feels it's necessary though, which is kind of annoying, but I figure she's the professional so she knows if she needs one or not. I also really liked Zac Wolf, he has kind of a indie style to his work, and my fiancé and I loved his personality. He's so nice and always responded immediately to my emails.
    Anniversary
  • HabiDialloHabiDiallo member
    First Comment
    edited January 2014
    Take a look at Sarah Bettencourt' work www.bettencourtphoto.com. If you like a photojournalistic style, she is is within your budget.
  • check out www.facebook.com/clydeyeungphotography

Currently he is offering complimentary engagement sessions in boston area for a limited time and if you like him, then you can talk further about possibly photographing your wedding...and he also uses professional site to print and mount wedding albums, not the snapfish/shutterfly options, but definitely staying below your budget, everything included

every photographer has different photography styles so definitely check out a few of them before you make your decision as it is a big investment
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards