Wedding Etiquette Forum

What do you think of a Hot Pink and Black color scheme for a summer 2014 wedding?

2»

Re: What do you think of a Hot Pink and Black color scheme for a summer 2014 wedding?

• My fiance would have nixed hot pink in a second. And he's Euro and wears lighter shades of pink and purple regularly in formal attire. What does he think about your color scheme?
  • He's okay with the hot pink :)
  • We are going with the Navy, silver, hot pink scheme.. Bridesmaids and moh in navy, pink flowers, splashes of silver and pink in decor.. I think it will look much better!
  • ntaylor86 said:
    We are going with the Navy, silver, hot pink scheme.. Bridesmaids and moh in navy, pink flowers, splashes of silver and pink in decor.. I think it will look much better!
    Sounds lovely!  Navy is such a flattering color and will look gorgeous with your pops of pink and silver.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2014
    I didn't read all the responses so this may have already been said, but what does your fiance like? Every time my hubby sees a pink wedding he comments on how clearly the groom got no say. Now some men don't care and even like pink so that may not be an issue. Just remember that its both your wedding and you want it to portray that!

Anniversary
  • My fiancé likes pink, so he is okay with having pink in the wedding deco. We are not going to have a lot of it .. Example girls in navy dresses carrying pink flowers with a silver ribbon.. Tablecloths will be in ivory (since my dress is ivory) with centerpieces similar to pictured with touches of silver and navy!
  • This is our venue at night, it has dimmer switches inside so it really pulls the candle light theme together! By the way, I'm planning this wedding with a $2500 budget, so I'm not looking for expensive ideas!
  • I didn't read all the responses so this may have already been said, but what does your fiance like? Every time my hubby sees a pink wedding he comments on how clearly the groom got no say. Now some men don't care and even like pink so that may not be an issue. Just remember that its both your wedding and you want it to portray that!
    Wasn't pink was seen as a masculine color a long time ago? I disagree that if someone uses pink in their wedding that the groom had no say.
  •  I agreee with @moemacWed30594.

My FI actually wants his vest and tie to be hot pink!

We are considering black/white and hot pink for our July 2015 wedding. The BM dresses would be black ( I love pink but I love my friends more!) and the flowers would be hot pink.

We are still undecided because I want to make sure we can pull it off without it looking childish or tacky.

I didn't read all the responses so this may have already been said, but what does your fiance like? Every time my hubby sees a pink wedding he comments on how clearly the groom got no say. Now some men don't care and even like pink so that may not be an issue. Just remember that its both your wedding and you want it to portray that!
    Wasn't pink was seen as a masculine color a long time ago? I disagree that if someone uses pink in their wedding that the groom had no say.

We are considering black/white and hot pink for our July 2015 wedding. The BM dresses would be black ( I love pink but I love my friends more!) and the flowers would be hot pink.

We are still undecided because I want to make sure we can pull it off without it looking childish or tacky.

To the bolded: think about how your pictures will look in 20 years!  Hot pink is in now, but in 20 years how will your FI look in the pics and will he still like it!  Think of it as being the popular powdered blue tuxes of the 70s or the Eduardian tuxes (I think thats what the style is called) that had the ruffles going down the shirt.
  • Okay I have the colors figured out .. Now I have another question.. The ceremony will take place outside at 7:30 but the reception will take place inside the venue. I live in the south and I know how people dress, I do not want shorts, jeans, minidresses at the wedding, but I do want everyone to feel comfortable! Should I word it on the invitation as "Sunday best"?
  • Nope. Let your invitation style and tone dictate the dress. A more formal invitation will imply more formal dress. You can't tell people what to wear or how to dress - that's rude. If anyone "dresses down", that's on them, not on you.
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    Nope. Let your invitation style and tone dictate the dress. A more formal invitation will imply more formal dress. You can't tell people what to wear or how to dress - that's rude. If anyone "dresses down", that's on them, not on you.
    This! Also, what is Sunday best? At church I wear a nice shirt and jeans. This would be my Sunday best.
  • ntaylor86 said:
    Okay I have the colors figured out .. Now I have another question.. The ceremony will take place outside at 7:30 but the reception will take place inside the venue. I live in the south and I know how people dress, I do not want shorts, jeans, minidresses at the wedding, but I do want everyone to feel comfortable! Should I word it on the invitation as "Sunday best"?
    Well, too bad.  This is one of those cases where if wants were horses. . .

You cannot dictate how your guests dress.  As a PP mentioned, you clue your guests into the formality of your event by the style of invitation you send, and then you just let it go.

To be frank, the way your guests dress will not even remotely impact you on your wedding day, nor will you notice or care.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Okay thanks everyone!
  • I think too, maybe how you dress at any pre-wedding engagements should clue your guests in to how you want them to dress at your event. Like, if you're in a t-shirt and jeans at an engagement party then that leads them to think that that's acceptable, but if you were a well-put-together dress with heels then that sends another image. I also agree with the tone of the invitation giving a hint on how to dress.

It is frustrating to feel like your guests are not respecting the moment or, even worse, that they're just ignorant of how they are perceived by others, but that's really not something that you can control. Different tastes for different people, and if you're going to invite them you have to know what you're going to get.
  • I think too, maybe how you dress at any pre-wedding engagements should clue your guests in to how you want them to dress at your event. Like, if you're in a t-shirt and jeans at an engagement party then that leads them to think that that's acceptable, but if you were a well-put-together dress with heels then that sends another image. I also agree with the tone of the invitation giving a hint on how to dress.

It is frustrating to feel like your guests are not respecting the moment or, even worse, that they're just ignorant of how they are perceived by others, but that's really not something that you can control. Different tastes for different people, and if you're going to invite them you have to know what you're going to get.
    Showing up to a formal wedding in jeans isn't a form of disrespect.  Do I think it's tacky?  Yes, but I wouldn't assume the person was being disrespectful of the moment- whatever the heck that even means- just clueless on how to properly dress, or just didn't give a shit.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I don't see a huge issue with those colors per se, as long as its toned down and not- BAM everywhere. Here are some colors that might inspire a romantic-esque theme. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• This color combo turned out to be much better than my brain originally interpreted it to be when I read the topic subject. 

• OP, I like your new color scheme,  just accents of pink (hot or otherwise) with a predominantly navy and ivory pallete.  Your BM's will be happy with navy and it will look all grown up like you wanted. 

As for the dress, your invites will tell your guests the formality.  If I received a really fun invite I would think more okay dress slacks and blouse.  If I received an inner envelope with ribbons and calligraphy I would think cocktail dress and heels.  It would be rude to tell them, but honestly I can't imagine that many people think jeans and shorts are okay at an evening wedding! 

Thanks for listening to eveyone's advice and not flipping out!  Good luck and happy planning!

• Just a suggestion if you want something a bit different; fuchsia and navy are GORGEOUS together. 

To the bolded: think about how your pictures will look in 20 years!  Hot pink is in now, but in 20 years how will your FI look in the pics and will he still like it!  Think of it as being the popular powdered blue tuxes of the 70s or the Eduardian tuxes (I think thats what the style is called) that had the ruffles going down the shirt.
    I think that this can be said of any wedding trend though.  Most likely ALL of our weddings will look outdated at some point.

sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards