Chit Chat

How could this be done?

We're having our ceremony and reception at a country club in western PA in the middle of October. Our options for the ceremony are:

- have it outside on the patio (chairs provided, capacity is 120)
- have it in a tent on the course (we'd have to pay for tent/chair rentals)
- have it inside, in the same space as the reception.

With the weather being tricky, I'm hesitant to do anything that would require guests (some elderly) being outside. I'm not wild about everyone sitting at their tables while we get married (just my opinion), so I started looking online and found a really cute way one couple did it. They had their ceremony and reception in the same room and used fabric to section off the room (see pics below). The only thing is I have no idea how to do this...is this pipe and drape? Or does it look like they hung this stuff from the ceiling? I'm so confused but I love it! Who should I call about this? Some event company? Gah. I feel clueless with some of this stuff.

Ceremony:

Reception:

Re: How could this be done?

• I think pipe and draping is cool...and now I kind of want to do this too!!!! mm I have to talk to my even coordinator now!!!!! :)
    Anniversary
  • tmclawchicktmclawchick member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited January 2014

So this is pipe and draping?

Ok somebody explain this to me... do I buy this stuff? Are there companies that rent this out?

*edited because I was too excited to form coherent sentences

• I think your safest bet is a tent. I really don't like the first picture- the guests in the back look so far away! 
  • It's definitely pipe-and-drape. You can rent this, but note that many places only stock the drape in black, so you may have to look around a bit.

If you have the room to do this and seat everyone comfortably, and the budget, then go for it! It really depends on the space you'll be in. Note that some banquet halls also have dividers that can be pulled out to section off a room, and you could use some uplighting on those to make them less generic (if that's an option with your venue).

• Thanks ladies!

• Pipe and drape.    And yes there are places you can rent that.  Try a local party planning company.  Even the venue might help you out with finding one.

To the person who thinks it's too far - I've seen churches much farther back than that.  Beside it's just a idea, her layout might be different.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yup it is pipe and drape.  We did something similar for our wedding.  We had our ceremony about 50-70 yards away from our reception area so we used black pipe and drape to box the area in so to speak.  We also used it to diminish the sun that was hitting right at the windows at the time of our ceremony.

I would talk to your venue to see if they have ever had anyone use it before and if they could recommend a company.

•  

I think your safest bet is a tent. I really don't like the first picture- the guests in the back look so far away! 

That was our original plan, but I'm a little concerned that (1) it will simply be too cold, even if we had sidewalls (2) the cost of renting the tent/sidewalls and chairs is crazy(!) and (3) guests will still have to walk about 30 yards to get to the tent on the course... we do have some older guests, and I'm just concerned that the cold air/walking/heels getting stuck in the grass, etc may just make for an unpleasant time... hmm... I need to check with our venue about this...

• my first choice would be outside on the patio, and if the weather didn't permit, i'd do it inside as you're exploring. the tent just seems like a giant hassle, and expense.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    Here in San Diego you can hire companies to do piping and draping in all different colors and it's a popular option. I agree with the PPs suggestion to ask your venue for a company that has worked on site before. If they don't have a recommendation for you, research event design companies or rental companies.

I can't think of a single venue that would let you hang something from the ceiling, FYI.

ETA:I think this would only work if you were having your cocktail hour outside of this room. Breaking down the piping and draping is loud and not pretty. You will also want to ask for the cost of the breakdown during the cocktail hour so see what extra charges you will incur for that and if it's possible to break it down and get it out of the room that quickly. I imagine it would add quite an expense to have staff waiting around to break it down as soon as possible and extra people to do it quickly.

I'd go all out and uplight the draping, too :)
  • lc07 said:
    Here in San Diego you can hire companies to do piping and draping in all different colors and it's a popular option. I agree with the PPs suggestion to ask your venue for a company that has worked on site before. If they don't have a recommendation for you, research event design companies or rental companies.

I can't think of a single venue that would let you hang something from the ceiling, FYI.

ETA:I think this would only work if you were having your cocktail hour outside of this room. Breaking down the piping and draping is loud and not pretty. You will also want to ask for the cost of the breakdown during the cocktail hour so see what extra charges you will incur for that and if it's possible to break it down and get it out of the room that quickly. I imagine it would add quite an expense to have staff waiting around to break it down as soon as possible and extra people to do it quickly.

I'd go all out and uplight the draping, too :)
    We're having uplighting for the room already, maybe I'll throw in a few lights for the draping too! I'm pretty geeked about this, I hope our venue allow this. There's another room available for the cocktail hour so we're good there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards