Registry and Gift Forum

Would you be bothered by a low-end price registry?

FI and I are putting together our registry and in comparison to many of our friends and family who have been married recently we seem to have rather modest taste.  We do need to build up our household as it currently consists of items gotten off craigslist post college, so we've researched what types of pots and pans, dinnerware and other household items will be most useful to us.  

Unfortunately, something like 70% of our registry will be items under $25.  There are some small appliances in the $50-$100 range ( about 5 ) and a few sets of cookware, dishes and flatware that are in the $150-$200 range ( about 4 ) but it seems like everything else is inexpensive.  

We are inviting 200 people.  We don't care if people get us things off the registry or not, if we don't receive those things as gifts, we'll buy them for ourselves after the wedding.  I sort of hope we don't receive too many off-registry gifts, since we live in a tiny apartment, but our guests know that so I would think we won't receive too many things like picture frames and candle sticks. 

If you were a guest looking at a registry would this bother you? 

Re: Would you be bothered by a low-end price registry?

• It wouldn't bother me.  
  • No, that sounds like a fine range of items.  Keep in mind that people may buy multiple things to give as one gift.  Some of your under $25 items might not really be stand alone gifts (a ladle, a towel, etc.).
  • I wouldn't be offended.  If I wanted to spend more and your "expensive" items were already bought I would combine several smaller gifts or get you a gift and add on a gift card.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Agree with PP, I would either combine smaller gifts, or possibly just give cash.
  • It wouldn't bother me. I'd probably get several things and put together a gift basket type thing. Like, pick up a colander or bowl, a towel to line it, and several gadgets to go inside.  That kind of thing is fun.
  • Thanks everyone - I suspected this would be the case but wanted a second opinion.
  • Most of our registry items were very inexpensive.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • This will be fine.  People will combine small items as needed or a group may go in on a more expensive item.

We registered because we were having a shower (wedding was mostly cash gifts).  Our vacuum was a little over $150 and three people went in on it...so don't be concerned about putting some more expensive items on the registry if you see something you can use and will have the quality to last.  We also had a group combine several towels and a soap dispenser for their gift and a case where one person got us two sets of sheets since our sheet sets were only about $15 each.

Some people like to see the options in the higher price points but I can understand that when you are starting out prioritizing the things you can really use and leaving some of the splurges off of the registry is a very practical approach.

• That wouldn't bother me.  If any of your guests want to spend a lot they can buy you multiple gifts or add a gift card from the store that you registered at.
  • This doesn't bother anyone but the sales people at the places where your registries are set up...if the lady at Macy's tells us one more time that she's "concerned" that we don't have enough $300+ items on our registry, I'm going to smack her.  If my guests want to spend $300+, they can either buy us multiple smaller items or write us a check.  Problem solved.

I also find that the smaller stuff is the stuff I really NEED the most (dishes, glassware, etc), so I'd really rather people just buy us that.

• It wouldn't bother me. I think it is better to have lower priced items on the registry. Not everyone can afford an expensive gift and it could make the wedding guest feel less pressure
  • This would bother me. I typically give a gift around $200. On your registry, unless I'm quick to snap something up, that probably means I'd need to buy 8 little things. But I dont want to give you a garlic press and a spatula. I want to give you something special that you'll still be using at your 50th anniversary. It's fine, faced with your registry id most likely write a check or, if I knew you really well, go off registry, but it would bother me. Are you in a circle where people are often giving more expensive gifts? If so, I might take another look at the classics: china, silver, and crystal and see if there's anything you'd like to add.
  • I would not have a problem with your registry. I would buy multiple gifts, gift w/cash or gift w/gift card or all cash gift. Actually you are giving people lots of options. It is a lot nicer than having all high end items and certainly better than a cash registry. 
  • I wouldn't  bother me. If it was 70% under $8 it might. I hate, HATE, trying to find the correct spoon or spatula at BBB. But I'm good buying 2 or 3 $25 items :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Honestly this would bother me.  H and I typically spend about $100 and prefer to do the one and done thing.  I don't want to have to find 6 things that are all in a theme that add up to $100 and have my BBB coupon only be good on one of them.  Like Starmoon, I also prefer to give you something that's going to last for at least 10 years than a meat tenderizer that's going to get ruined when you forget to hand wash it and run it through the dishwasher.

We invited about 300 people, had 170 show up.  We also got about 95% boxed gifts.  Of our entire guest list, exactly 2 families strung together a bunch of lower-priced items.  In both cases, these were kitchen gadget themed.  Literally everybody else went for the single gifts or at most pairs of things (ie: place settings).  So I don't think my one-and-done preference is particularly unusual.

I think this also depends on your circle.  If you are in a circle of boxed-gift-givers, I would re-think this.  I didn't track it, but I came away with the impression that the majority of our guests spent around $100 on our wedding gift.  And a pretty large number of people seemed to spend more than that.  Our shower seemed to be in the $50 or so price range on average.  A registry like yours would have been fine for the shower, but it would have caused people issues for the wedding.  That said, if the vast majority of folks in your circle give cash at weddings this isn't as big of a problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jdluvr06 said:
    It wouldn't bother me. I think it is better to have lower priced items on the registry. Not everyone can afford an expensive gift and it could make the wedding guest feel less pressure
    I agree with this. It's nice to have an assortment of different things on the registry.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Would I be offended?  Absolutely not.  But I agree with the posters who have noted that a lot of people will want to give you a "keepsake" type gift that you will be using 30 years from now.  I was stunned and touched by how generous some people were!  If they do not see such an item on your registry, they may go off registry.  So I would recommend having a handful of items that fall into this category on there as options.  If they get snapped up, add a couple more.

If storage space is an issue, I think this becomes even more of a priority.  A beautiful picture frame, serving tray, or candlesticks you can wrap up carefully and slide under the couch for now.  A stand mixer or juicer, on the other hand, is going to take up some serious space.

• You'd have to make sure you have many, many items on your registry. I know I would probably want to buy several items since they're inexpensive. If the registry is sold out by the time I go to purchase something, it would disappoint me. I think the problem has more to do with logistics.
  • It's great to have lower priced items so people can bundle.  But I would rather do one nice bigger gift that you'll have for at least a few years.  I think it's key to have a variety, but you know your guest list best. I know there's some in my circle that will appreciate the lower priced items and there are others that would prefer to give something more.
  • fungrl97 said:
    FI and I are putting together our registry and in comparison to many of our friends and family who have been married recently we seem to have rather modest taste.  We do need to build up our household as it currently consists of items gotten off craigslist post college, so we've researched what types of pots and pans, dinnerware and other household items will be most useful to us.  

Unfortunately, something like 70% of our registry will be items under $25.  There are some small appliances in the $50-$100 range ( about 5 ) and a few sets of cookware, dishes and flatware that are in the $150-$200 range ( about 4 ) but it seems like everything else is inexpensive.  

We are inviting 200 people.  We don't care if people get us things off the registry or not, if we don't receive those things as gifts, we'll buy them for ourselves after the wedding.  I sort of hope we don't receive too many off-registry gifts, since we live in a tiny apartment, but our guests know that so I would think we won't receive too many things like picture frames and candle sticks. 

If you were a guest looking at a registry would this bother you? 
    I wouldn't be bothered by that either, since that's kinda what we did.

What bothers me is when 90% of the registry are gifts that cost $100 and over (especially if it's a registry of someone you don't know all too well, or at all) 

I personally like a range of items. I know I put a lot of items 50 and below and the only items I put down that were expensive were the appliances I needed, and even those weren't too bad (The KitchenAid mixer and Keurig cost the most)

I'm the kind of person who likes to get gifts off the registry that I know you will need and use. I can't justify purchasing your 8 piece set of Lenox salad plates at $75 a pop.

Maybe a blender? A blender you'll use, I'll get you that. But not if it's 300 bucks, my $100 blender works just fine.
  • Mine is similar!  My plan is to just keep an eye on it.  If people end up buying multiple gifts and our registry gets bought up before the wedding we can just add.  Don't feel pressured to get something you don't need/want just because of what other people have done.  
  • No it wouldn't bother me, and it shouldn't bother your guests.  The items you register for should be things that you want, love and will use.  What's the point of putting a $400 crystal vase on your registry if you know you won't use it.  You know YOU better than anyone else, and your home will be built with your husband.  I too have items that are very inexpensive....say....$.95 on my registry and several guests have said that they refuse to buy items that are so "cheap"....so they have given gift cards and checks...guess what we bought with their contributions!!!!.....yes, the 95 cent items that we said we wanted months ago while registering for gifts.  I believe in shopping from registries because i feel i have a better chance of my money NOT being wasted when i buy what someone asks for rather than something i like and hope they will enjoy!

• dxavierahdxavierah member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
  • This would bother me. I typically give a gift around $200. On your registry, unless I'm quick to snap something up, that probably means I'd need to buy 8 little things. But I dont want to give you a garlic press and a spatula. I want to give you something special that you'll still be using at your 50th anniversary. It's fine, faced with your registry id most likely write a check or, if I knew you really well, go off registry, but it would bother me. Are you in a circle where people are often giving more expensive gifts? If so, I might take another look at the classics: china, silver, and crystal and see if there's anything you'd like to add.
    it really isn't about what her guests want to give her, it's about what she wants and needs. why would you rather spend $200 on something that will sit in a closet or be sold at a yard sale than to get the couple what they will use!? I had people to give me items at my shower that I didn't want, and I've thaned them for the items only to give them away because it isn't something i want. Now they will come to my house and forever wonder why i've never used the so-and-so they bought me. I can't use up my limited space for things that i have no intention of using so it goes to someone who wants it.
  • I wouldn't  bother me. If it was 70% under $8 it might. I hate, HATE, trying to find the correct spoon or spatula at BBB. But I'm good buying 2 or 3 $25 items :)

order online for instore pick-up if you don't want to pay for shipping.  saves you the headaches of wandering around the store!
  • antoto said:
    Mine is similar!  My plan is to just keep an eye on it.  If people end up buying multiple gifts and our registry gets bought up before the wedding we can just add.  Don't feel pressured to get something you don't need/want just because of what other people have done.  
    I agree.  The concept of people wanting to get you something you'll have for 50 years is crazy.  Household items in the 21st century get updated far more frequently than they did in the 20th and prior....1st because quality isnt what it used to e and 2nd because we are a more priviledged generation and we buy what we want when we want it.  If we all kept what we have for 50 years, none of us would be reistering for gifts at all.  Buy what people want to use not what you want to use, we are all different and what seems like a great item to one person will have no value to another.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards