Registry and Gift Forum

Boxed gift givers, do you include a gift receipt? XP

I have learned on TK that there are some people that absolutely will not give cash as a gift.  For these people, I have a question: do you include a gift receipt with your gift?  For those of you that don't, why?

I have seen the example of suffering the fate of multiple toasters if a person doesn't register.  In my opinion, not registering and then ending up with random gifts/multiple toasters is not a bad thing if they can be exchanged for something else.  If they can't be exchanged for something else because there is no gift receipt then it seems like a lost opportunity to leave your friends/relatives with something that they actually keep and use -- like the way the original gift was intended.

Re: Boxed gift givers, do you include a gift receipt? XP

• I include a gift receipt, but I noticed a lot of our guests didn't include gift receipts.  It wasn't a huge deal for us for the items we ended up returning from our registry since Macy's and BBB just looked up those purchases.  It was annoying for off registry items.  We received a few items that weren't our style or we simply didn't have space for in our apartment that we couldn't return because they weren't from a registry and didn't have a gift receipt so we didn't know where the giver had purchased it.  
  • Yes, I always include a gift receipt. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If it comes off of a registry I don't usually include the receipt since they can take it back where it came from without a problem.

If I would go off-registry for some reason I would include the gift receipt so they 1) knew where it came from and 2) would get the full value of what I paid if they need to return it.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • AprilH81 said:
    If it comes off of a registry I don't usually include the receipt since they can take it back where it came from without a problem.

If I would go off-registry for some reason I would include the gift receipt so they 1) knew where it came from and 2) would get the full value of what I paid if they need to return it.
    This! If it's on their registry I assume they wanted it and also I know the store won't give them a hard time about returning it if they change their mind or get duplicates. If it's off registry though I would include a gift receipt.
  • Depends. Typically not, either bc it is on the registry or bc it's something very personal like a piece of Waterford. When I was younger and didn't have a lot of money i did give some random gifts i got on clearance and didn't give a gift receipt bc they were inexpensive, but all i could afford. If you get something you don't like give it to the volunteers of America or donate it. They are gifts, not meant to be opportunities imho :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• @photokitty I agree with donating.  It is good to know someone else might be able to use it. 

Now the lingerie from my bachelorette party with no receipt....not so sure that is a useful donation!

• I also forget to add…I have a "gift closet" where I keep presents I have purchased on sale or for people in advance. I'm super thirty/ cheap, and I don't include a gift receipt with these items bc they are typically purchased before the 30 day mark. I'd rather someone just told me they didn't like the gift so i could get them something else instead of giving them a gift receipt that shows I bought it two months ago, even if they could return it. It's a gift, keep it, regift it or donate it, if you are unwilling to ask the giver for the receipt.

@csuave - you'd be surprised what people will buy at the thrift store. ANd it is has a tag on it I'm sure it would sell - not to me, but to someone ;)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I don't, but I also don't buy things in-store.  What you will find is that the vast majority of people just order online, and then each box comes with a packing slip that can function as a gift receipt (this coming from  a person who received 95% boxed gifts and had an older guest list who I wasn't sure knew about the internet).  With the exception of your shower (if you have one), you should get a lot of receipts automatically.  All of my boxed gifts went to my parents' house for security, and my mom just taped each packing slip to each box as gifts arrived.  It worked beautifully when we needed to make returns for duplicates.

As PP mentioned, your registry list also serves as a gift receipt for most stores as well.  So you can still return gifts without receipts if the buyer got it from your registry.

Finally, BBB lets you return anything they sell without a receipt.  They give you store credit.  We received a few off-registry gifts that we were able to return there because BBB carried them.  We did not have a BBB registry.

When all was said and done, we had maybe a dozen gifts with no receipt, no registry record, and no way to return to BBB.  Of those, most were absolutely amazing (ie: an antique anniversary clock that H's uncle restored, hand-embroidered pillowcases that matched the colors for our bedding, a lladro wedding figurine from my parents).  We literally got just 2 gifts that were total lemons - one, a butterfly platter and the other an egg plate with technicolor fish painted on it (though I sort of like the fish if I'm being completely honest - H thinks I'm crazy).  That's not bad when we literally had more than 100 boxes to open.

I really wouldn't stress about this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And I should mention - we did receive a toaster.  But we got the one we registered for, and we didn't get a duplicate.  Same with the waffle iron.  And the blender.  And the food processor.

You see where I'm going with this.  

Our duplicates were primarily china and a couple serving pieces.  And that was my fault - we have a small china shop in my hometown (and no other physical stores where I registered), so I double registered for my china and some serving pieces at that china shop and at Macy's, since the wedding had a lot of local people invited. Well we ended up with like 6 extra place settings and a couple extra platters.  I just returned the extras to Macys.... and then I ended up re-buying one place setting via ebay because I decided I actually wanted one extra in case of breakage.

But other than the stuff I double registered for, I don't think we got any duplicates from the actual registry.  Again, more than 100 boxes.

Not something to worry about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nope.  Doesn't interest me.

• I usually do.  

And I always prefer to give a boxed gift - I love shopping for people and will start as soon as I know we're invited to their wedding.  Sometimes I get the couple something that isn't on their registry, and because I shop way in advance, I'm often able to get nice things on sale - and can give the couple something of much more value than the money I would be able to leave in a card. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards