Chit Chat

Little things that irritate you

I get irritated with baggers at the grocery store I go to. It's like they don't train them at all. One time one bagged tried to put some chicken I bought in the same bag as laundry detergent, then when I asked her not to do that she gave me a deer in the headlights look.

Re: Little things that irritate you

• one of the guys in the w/h drives me bonkers..he never calls me by my name and just gives me a lot of shit..and its annoying...
    Anniversary
  • I am irritated by people who park too close to fire hydrants or right up on the corner.  And also irritated by our Parking Authority which does not ticket those assholes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I get irritated going to Rite Aid. They always only have one cashier and a super long line. They wait until the line gets really long before asking for backup. This has happened at different Rite Aid locations. The other day I walked in and walked right out.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Don't even get me started on grocery store baggers. *eye twitch* I can seriously feel my blood pressure rising.

• My pet peeve is when baggers put raw meat in with veggies, or cleaning agents in with food. I mean really its common sense people!

No I do not want to eat bleach with my baby carrots thank you!
  • jdluvr06 said:
    I get irritated with baggers at the grocery store I go to. It's like they don't train them at all. One time one bagged tried to put some chicken I bought in the same bag as laundry detergent, then when I asked her not to do that she gave me a deer in the headlights look.
    I even put stuff together when putting it on the conveyor belt, and they still try to put frozen food with dry food or cans. Obviously it's all laid out for your convenience, if you would just pay attention. 

I also get irritated with sales people. I went to a shop yesterday and the two workers were watching a movie. They looked at me like I was an inconvenience to them. 
  • I get irritated when people make the assumption that I know nothing about a given topic and lecture me like a child about it right off the bat. I spent 6 years at very prestigious universities, I'm well-read, and I've seen quite a bit in my relatively short life. Chances are good that I have at least a basic understanding of the topic at hand and can hold a short conversation regarding it. If not, I'm not afraid to say so and ask for more information. However, please give me the opportunity to contribute to the conversation as an equal before you assume that no one can possibly know as much about said topic as you.

• I almost always use reusable shopping bags because they're better for the environment and significantly easier to carry groceries in. As soon as I do the "Hi-how-are-you" thing I immediately say, "I have reusable bags. Can you please use these first?" Sometimes they visibly roll their eyes at me. 

Um, excuse me. I realize it's easier for you to bag groceries into plastic bags, but I'm not asking you to anything that bad. This really irks me! 

Another little thing that drives me banana sandwich is when employees at the store don't greet me when I approach the check-out counter. A simple, "Hello, how are you today?" is pretty basic in Manners 101.
  • ElcaB said:
    I almost always use reusable shopping bags because they're better for the environment and significantly easier to carry groceries in. As soon as I do the "Hi-how-are-you" thing I immediately say, "I have reusable bags. Can you please use these first?" Sometimes they visibly roll their eyes at me. 

Um, excuse me. I realize it's easier for you to bag groceries into plastic bags, but I'm not asking you to anything that bad. This really irks me! 

Another little thing that drives me banana sandwich is when employees at the store don't greet me when I approach the check-out counter. A simple, "Hello, how are you today?" is pretty basic in Manners 101.

LOL at banana sandwich! Love it.

• Chipmunk415Chipmunk415 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Peeve of both my mom and me- deli workers at the grocery who subconsciously touch their face, glasses, or hairnet, and then DON'T CHANGE GLOVES! Have also seen workers come from around the counter to say hi to a friend, touch the friend, and then go back to slicing meat. 

When they ask what we would like, we politely ask them to change gloves first. We've gotten some snark back, but our response is to say their failure to change gloves after touching their face like that is akin to a surgeon performing a procedure, reaching under his mask to pick his nose with his gloved hand, and then sticking it back in the patient without changing gloves....they tend to change them immediately after that.
  • Peeve of both my mom and me- deli workers at the grocery who unconsciously touch their face, glasses, or hairnet, and then DON'T CHANGE GLOVES! Have also seen workers come from around the counter to say hi to a friend, touch the friend, and then go back to slicing meat. 

When they ask what we would like, we politely ask them to change gloves first. We've gotten some snark back, but our response is to say their failure to change gloves after touching their face like that is akin to a surgeon performing a procedure, reaching under his mask to pick his nose with his gloved hand, and then sticking it back in the patient without changing gloves....they tend to change them immediately after that.
    I got the ugliest, dirtiest look at Dunkin Donuts when I asked the girl to change gloves before making my coffee. She went from changing the trash bag to making my coffee with the same pair of gloves. Yuck, no.
  • @EverAfter eww that is disgusting. I don't blame you. I always use the reusable bags and for whatever reason the baggers seem to think that means they put whatever the hell they want in it and make it super heavy. Just because the bags are stronger doesn't mean I'm not still a 5' 110lb woman who would prefer not to try and lug a bag that has a gallon of milk, a 2 liter and a bunch of cans.
  • ElcaB said:

I almost always use reusable shopping bags because they're better for the environment and significantly easier to carry groceries in. As soon as I do the "Hi-how-are-you" thing I immediately say, "I have reusable bags. Can you please use these first?" Sometimes they visibly roll their eyes at me. 

Wow, that's really annoying. The last two states I've lived in roll their eyes at you if you don't have reusable bags. I have at least 10. Haha Hawaii has actually gone plastic bag less and charge you 5-10 cents per plastic bag. Some stores don't have them at all.
  • I like getting plastic bags once in a while because DH and I use them in our bathrooms as garbage bags. Otherwise, I use reusable bags every time I go to the grocery store or we go to the local farmers' market.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • jdluvr06 said:
    I always use the reusable bags and for whatever reason the baggers seem to think that means they put whatever the hell they want in it and make it super heavy. Just because the bags are stronger doesn't mean I'm not still a 5' 110lb woman who would prefer not to try and lug a bag that has a gallon of milk, a 2 liter and a bunch of cans.
    This! Don't put all the heavy things in one bag! Distribute the weight, people!
  • People who meander through the shops with their trolley (or shopping cart, if you prefer) in the middle of the aisle. The aisles are big enough for two trolleys to pass simultaneously, they are not built that wide so you and your circus animals unruly children can waddle at your leisure and block me from my cereal!

Merchandisers who similarly take up the entire aisle while attempting to stock the shelves. I've been involved in pretty much every aspect of retail, including stock control and merchandising, it is actually possible to stock the shelves while still allowing your customers to move freely.

Shop assistants who can't think for themselves. I understand that not everyone knows exactly where/what every item of stock is, but you should know to go and ask someone who does know, and not just stand staring blankly at your customer until they walk off. This happens with alarming regularity in SA. "Excuse me, do you have any creme fraiche?" "You want fresh cream?" "No, creme fraiche." "Fresh cream?" "No, not fresh cream. Creme fraiche..." "...?" "Nevermind."

Oh, and vaguebookers, and people who carry out entire conversations of a private and personal nature, complete with inside jokes, in comments on Facebook.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Thankfully my grocery store doesn't always have dedicated baggers. I get to bag my own groceries. I love it. The checkout person will always say, "Thank you for bagging!" and I'm all, "No, thank YOU." 

I really hate it when drivers do not use their signals. Seriously - are you that much of an ass that you don't think you should have to signal? Are you so much more important than the rest of us?
  • I have a co-worker who now every time he sees me refers to me as "speedy." Every Friday after work we go to the same bank, but he sits in his car for a few minutes before he actually leaves the parking lot, whereas I just put my seat belt on and I'm off. So, because I get there before him, apparently that means I speed. It's super annoying!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Chipmunk415Chipmunk415 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014

People who give me dirty looks when the nerve inflammation in my leg makes me use a motorized cart. Just because my white hairs aren't showing as well, or I'm not in a full brace does NOT mean it doesn't hurt to walk around the store and avoid screaming, running children.

@urbaneca, your irritation reminds me of a time my mother was in her local publix. My mother is, for all intents and purposes, deaf in her left ear, (blood clot followed by scar tissue in the venous sinus means all she hears in that ear is her own heart beat/ the sound of her blood moving into her head. It sounds gross, but she says it sounds like a gentle ocean swishing, and it's better than NOT hearing it). She also has age related decreased hearing in her right ear. Anyways....Mom was in the aisle, head turned left to look at some products. Her cart was not in the middle of the aisle, nor was it smack up against the shelving. Apparently, a very, very morbidly obese man was in a motorized shopping cart and did not have enough space to get past her. He apparently asked her to move, but she couldn't hear him till she turned back towards her cart, then turned around and saw him, when he said in a very loud, rude voice "B*TCH MOVE YOUR FAT @$$ OUT OF MY WAY!!"  She heard him, as did three other people in the aisle. Here's where it gets good: My mother looked at him, and said "I'm very sorry, I'm deaf and didn't know you were talking to me till I read your lips!" (note, she fibbed a bit on the reading lips, but HE didn't know that). Said man turned six shades of red/purple, got up, left his cart/chair, and left the store.

Another story: went to Base Exchange with my folks. Dad happens to be a 100% combat disabled veteran. The day we went, he was in pain, so he used one of the motor carts (one of the first times he ever used one). In pain, Dad is snarkier/snarlier than usual for a Marine vet. Snarls at me to watch where I'm going and stay out of the way, due to me standing 4 inches from the shelving instead of 3. Dad goes around a corner in the chair, STRAIGHT into a freestanding display. Said display is on wheels, and goes flying about 10 feet. Mom and I booked it away from him in seperate directions. He couldn't say a word about "watching where I'm going" for at least a WEEK. HEE!!!

• I hate when people listen to music out loud at work. The woman in the office next door to me is playing some really loud, awful soft rock and it's driving me bonkers. First, our company has explicit rules that state no music is to be played during normal work hours and second, not everyone has the same taste in music. If you want to put headphones in, by all means go ahead, but please don't listen to it loudly enough that everyone else can hear it. I might just be extra irritable today because it's so cold in my office and I got zero sleep, but her music is like nails on a chalkboard right now.
  • When people give me girly nicknames at work to try and force out the fact that I'm a female in a male driven environment. Or when they tell me 'I'm one of the boys' because either way your are specifying my gender out loud for no reason.

I get irritated with the one guy at work who constantly touches my shoulder when he agrees with me.

Can you tell how I don't want to be at work today? *le sigh*
  • Peeve of both my mom and me- deli workers at the grocery who unconsciously touch their face, glasses, or hairnet, and then DON'T CHANGE GLOVES! Have also seen workers come from around the counter to say hi to a friend, touch the friend, and then go back to slicing meat. 

LMAO!

Subconsciously*
    unless they were passed out on the floor doing this in which case carry on. I'm definitely picturing a passed out lunch lady touching her hairnet in her sleep.

• @ aefitz, thank you! I've now corrected that post
  • aefitz29 said:
    When people give me girly nicknames at work to try and force out the fact that I'm a female in a male driven environment. Or when they tell me 'I'm one of the boys' because either way your are specifying my gender out loud for no reason.

I get irritated with the one guy at work who constantly touches my shoulder when he agrees with me.

OMG, THIS! That is my everyday life (our office has maybe 2% female employees).

I also hate getting hit on/checked out by the men I don't know in our office -- it turns into an episode of Animal Planet some days with all of them trying to show each other up and vie for the lone woman's attention. Yes, I see you; no, I'm not interested. I've taken to doing everything with my left hand so that I can flash my ring more in hopes that it wards the creepier ones off.

• aefitz29 said:
    When people give me girly nicknames at work to try and force out the fact that I'm a female in a male driven environment. Or when they tell me 'I'm one of the boys' because either way your are specifying my gender out loud for no reason.

I also hate getting hit on/checked out by the men I don't know in our office -- it turns into an episode of Animal Planet some days with all of them trying to show each other up and vie for the lone woman's attention. Yes, I see you; no, I'm not interested. I've taken to doing everything with my left hand so that I can flash my ring more in hopes that it wards the creepier ones off.
    It's not co-workers for me, it's patient's family members who are visiting. It's the scrubs and white coat... drives them batty. I would try to flash my ring more but ultimately I also work at a hospital in a very low income high crime area so I'd rather not put my ring on display... while totally wanting to put my ring on display *sigh*

• aefitz29 said:

Oh lawwwwdd yes, One reason I stopped wearing make up and heels to work was to avoid this. The other reason is I get up at the crackarse of dawn and like my sleep. I just want to come in and rock my job and leave for the day to get to my FI and pups as fast as possible.

I can always tell when a random guy at work starts asking a lot of personal questions and giving me the doe eyes. When this happens I make sure to turn to someone I know and say something about how I cannot believe I only have 'x' amount of months left until I'm married. Works every time. ;)
  • aefitz29 said: When people give me girly nicknames at work to try and force out the fact that I'm a female in a male driven environment. Or when they tell me 'I'm one of the boys' because either way your are specifying my gender out loud for no reason.

I've posted on here before about how I can't stand stuff like this. Not only am I in a primarily male workplace, but I'm also one of the youngest (
    the youngest on my floor.) I have one coworker who calls me kiddo and another who did the awkward lean-on-me thing one day when he was exaggerating his tiredness. 

First of all, kiddo? I'm almost 30, you asshole. I'm a grown adult and you're not my grandpa or dad, so stop with the kiddo already. Secondly, we are at work. 

As for the leaner, I find any physical contact with males at work to be super awkward and an overall "no no." Lean on the wall, ya jerk. 
  • I like getting plastic bags once in a while because DH and I use them in our bathrooms as garbage bags. Otherwise, I use reusable bags every time I go to the grocery store or we go to the local farmers' market.
    This, 100%.  I am not against reusable bags.  But, I do think it's stupid to virtually outlaw plastic grocery bags by charging for them.  Because if I don't get those plastic grocery bags I will be, guess what? buying plastic bags for the two trashcans in my house that use those bags.  I need trash bags and if I don't get plastic grocery bags, I'll be buying them.  Either way, I'm using plastic trash bags.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards