Connecticut

Florist question

So I am not planning on doing floral centerpieces and I'm not looking for extravagant bouquets. I also do not need any additional floral decorations for the venue. I am thinking I would like to have bouquets mostly made up of gerbera daisies with a few roses or lilies thrown in. Would you recommend consulting with a full out florist shop, or do you think going through a grocery store would be more cost effective based on what I am looking for? Did anyone consult with both a full florist and a grocery store? Were prices comparable, or was one more costly than the other? Thanks!

Re: Florist question

• If I remember correctly, you were looking into Roses for Autism? Did they tell you they couldn't do it? I'm just curious. 

We didn't talk with a florist shop or a grocery store. Melissa at Stylish Blooms works out of her home, so she has less overhead costs. Since you know what you're looking for, I'd think it'd be cheaper to go with a grocery store, but I obviously don't know for sure. 

Good luck!
  • I am using Sharon Elizabeths in Berlin, I only purchased bouquets, boutiners etc; (no venue flowers etc;).  I went with Orchids and lillies which is costing me $1000 with delivery & tax.  A couple of years ago my friend used Stop & Shop for her flowers (same thing, no venue flowers etc;) and she also used the gerber daisies, it cost her $800 but... the boutiners started falling apart and a couple of the girls bouquets had the same issue.  Long story short that is why I decided to go with a florist and not the grocery store.. hope this is helpful
  • I considered going to a grocery store, but decided to make my wedding day a little less stressful and use a florist. We are using Leah from It's So Ranunculous. She is AMAZING and her pricing is fantastic. I also met with Melissa from Stylish Blooms. Melissa's price was a little cheaper than Leah's but Leah offered to hang lights and lanterns for me. I was SOLD.

It can't hurt to contact florists. I would send emails or call a few different florists, tell them your budget, what you are looking for, and ask if they can work with you. The worst they can say is no. I have a $1,200 floral budget for me, my 5 bridesmaids, 4 groomsmen, 2 sets of parents, 2 set of granparents, 17 centerpieces, and floral arrangements throughout the venue... and I found 3 florists willing to work with me (It's So Ranunculus, Stylish Blooms, and Flowers by Jane). 

Good luck!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_florist-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:24e6b469-f8ee-4cdb-825d-3f08cddce437Post:550ab73f-e458-4425-86c8-1073b5deab4b">Re: Florist question</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I remember correctly, you were looking into Roses for Autism? Did they tell you they couldn't do it? I'm just curious.  We didn't talk with a florist shop or a grocery store. <strong>Melissa at Stylish Blooms works out of her home</strong>, so she has less overhead costs. Since you know what you're looking for, I'd think it'd be cheaper to go with a grocery store, but I obviously don't know for sure.  Good luck!
    Posted by MoonlightSilver[/QUOTE]

We are using Melissa for our wedding.  We went to a stop and shop that was recommended to me and I was not impressed.  I told the girl what flowers I was interested in and when I would ask her what she thought, her repsone would be "do what you want."  I didn't like that at all.  When I asked the same question to Melissa she gave me her opinion and showed me some other ideas.  If you go to a grocery store they will not have pictures of what they can do/have done.  You look in a book that goes to all the grocery stores and pick.  While stop and shop was much cheaper (about half) I didn't feel comfortable with this girl at all.  I'm not doing anything extravagent either (only WP flowers which are gerbera daisies and lisanthius).   If I had gone w/ stop and shop I would've been so neverous.  With Melissa I'm completely confident that she'll give me what I want. 
  • o and to give you an idea of pricing - flowers for myself, 2 bm, groom, 2gm, 3 MOB/MOG, 3 FOB/FOG, 12 chair ribbons, and 3 RB was roughly $500.
  • SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    Thanks.  I am looking into Roses for Autism but I am afraid they will be too pricey (I haven't heard back from them yet).  Honestly I have no idea what my budget is for flowers but I don't want to spend a lot, probably less than $1,000.  I have myself and 3 BM's who would need bouquets.  It makes no difference to me if groom and his guys have boutiners or not.  I only have 1 grandparent left and FI has none.  I'm sure the mother's of us will want flowers, but probably not the fathers (or at least not my dad!).  I guess at grocery stores it might jsut depend on which one you go to.  I know people who have had great experiences with Stop and Shop and others who have not.  I might also check out the floral departments at Whole Foods and Stew Leonards too and then maybe a couple "true" florists.  Thanks for the info
  • I'm currently researching florist vendors myself.  So far it seems cheaper to go through a local florist/farm business because they grow their own flowers, vs. the grocery store having to order them.  Also, since it seems like you aren't using a ton of flowers, it might be good to try growing your own (or have a family member/friend with a green thumb grow them) and pick them yourself.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards