Wedding Reception Forum

Re: .

• kaelenenobiskaelenenobis member
    First Comment
    edited January 2014
    If you cannot afford alcohol in your budget, then no. Guests cannot expect alcohol from you. I say that I would just skip on the other alcohol rather then do a cash bar or anything like that if that is what you mean by "free alcohol".

• Yes.  Either provide free alcohol completely or no alcohol at all.

• If you won't be providing any other alcohol, you should skip the champagne toast. 
  • k1b9sp1 said:
    Is it tacky to provide a champagne toast but no other free alcohol?
    Only if the only alcohol provided at all is the champagne for the toast.

If you provide any other alcohol to your guests, it must be free of charge to them.
  • Yes if you aren't offering any other alcoholic drinks. 

I generally think the one and only champagne toast is weird and silly anyway if champagne is not being served all night. I'd rather just toast with what's in my hand. 
  • PDKH said:
    Yes if you aren't offering any other alcoholic drinks. 

I generally think the one and only champagne toast is weird and silly anyway if champagne is not being served all night. I'd rather just toast with what's in my hand. 
    This.  And typically the champagne being served is cheap and gross.  Save your money and use it elsewhere like on an additional appetizer or an open bar.

• k1b9sp1k1b9sp1 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
  • k1b9sp1 said:
    Thanks for the feedback. 

Is it the champagne part that hits a nerve, or that it's only one kind of drink?  Would it be equally tacky to replace champagne with something that goes better with dinner, like wine? 

It's not that I can't afford an open bar, I just don't want to do it.  It's a small wedding, and I'd really rather upgrade something else than pay through the nose for bar costs that won't be worth it.  Literally - an open bar for 50 people ends up being really wasteful, unless you're a fraternity... which we're not.
    If you think that people won't drink a lot could you do a consumption bar? You only pay for the drinks that people actually consume that way instead of a per person cost like an open bar. 
  • k1b9sp1 said:
    Thanks for the feedback. 

Is it the champagne part that hits a nerve, or that it's only one kind of drink?  Would it be equally tacky to replace champagne with something that goes better with dinner, like wine? 

It's not that I can't afford an open bar, I just don't want to do it.  It's a small wedding, and I'd really rather upgrade something else than pay through the nose for bar costs that won't be worth it.  Literally - an open bar for 50 people ends up being really wasteful, unless you're a fraternity... which we're not.
    If you think that people won't drink a lot could you do a consumption bar? You only pay for the drinks that people actually consume that way instead of a per person cost like an open bar. 
    This seems like something to explore with your venue, especially with the size of your guest list.  If not, I think sponsoring wine for the tables might be better than champagne.  We offered only beer and wine at our reception.  No one seemed to miss the liquor or mixed drinks.
    Anniversary

• k1b9sp1 said:
    Thanks for the feedback. 

It's the toast part that hits a nerve.  It's weird to have an otherwise dry event but offer people a small sip of champagne.  

Your use of the term "free" also hit some nerves.  It implies that you are considering offering everything else as a cash bar, which is horribly rude.  You haven't responded to questions about that, so just know that any form of charging guests is inappropriate.  

If you want to offer a limited amount of alcohol, a couple of bottles of wine on the tables for dinner would be much more universally appealing.  Offering beer/wine only at the bar is a popular limited bar option as well.  Most drinkers drink one or the other, while champagne is not as popular.  
  • Just remember this - whatever you provide for your guests should be paid for by you. If you want that to be just champagne for the toast (assuming you have plenty of non-alcoholic options), then that's fine. You can swap that for wine and/or beer and/or a signature drink. You can do a consumption bar or open bar. You can provide whatever you want, as long as you cover the cost.
  • If you aren't providing drinks all night, I wouldn't do the champagne toast.

If alcohol isn't in your budget but you still want to toast with something that you would be able to provide all night, why not do something like sparkling apple cider? That stuff is seriously delicious.
  • I would check and see if your venue can do a per bottle charge. Ours has us buy 2 cases of wine, but anything after that we are doing per bottle. So if they open it, we pay for it. But that way it's cheaper than buying a ton of cases of wine and having leftovers.

For that small amount of people I am sure they could do something like that! Then you could just have the champagne there and if people want to drink it, you just pay for what is opened. Same with wine/beer/etc.
  • k1b9sp1k1b9sp1 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
  • Why are you DDing everything across TK?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Maybe it's a case of...

~*~*~*~*~

• DDing is so fucking stupid. Just don't log back in or else open a new account and start over if you're embarrassed by your posts as a newbie.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Maybe it's because all you women are bitches, and snotty brides,Go ahead a brow beat me!
  • dluberts said:
    Maybe it's because all you women are bitches, and snotty brides,Go ahead a brow beat me!
    Well aren't you a peach.

• dluberts said:
    Maybe it's because all you women are bitches, and snotty brides,Go ahead a brow beat me!
    Where was I bitch and snotty?
  • @PDKH you were a bitch and snotty because you didn't agree with OP or validate her ideas.  Duh!
    Damn, next time I'll make sure to say, "Do whatever you want without regard to others!!!"
  • dluberts said:

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• dluberts said:
    P.S. @knotporscha

• dluberts said:
    This sounds like a personal problem, because as a newly engaged girl I have never felt attacked or ridiculed by anyone on this board.

Quite the opposite really: they strike me as very friendly with great personalities!
  • I love when people try to complain about people on TK being too mean, but then they decide to be the ONLY ONE on the entire thread calling people names.  
    Because nothing shows how much you know about being nice and mature like calling everyone a bitch.
  • dluberts said:
    That was classy.

Anniversary
  • Also, came for the Dd, stayed for the (out of left field) overreaction.

Shit. That phrase should be my sig. I type it often enough.

Anniversary
  • Wow, that was really unnecessary.  I was really hoping for a much more salacious DD than that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards