Chit Chat
Options

Photographer doesn't remember me...

So, we booked our photographer a while back. Yes, it was really early but he is highly recommended by my aunt (who works in the wedding photography business) and he books up fast! When we talked to him about February 2013 he already had all of July (except for our date booked) so we paid the deposit right there (Yes we looked at his work online and in person and got reviews, etc).

Since then, he and I have chatted via email every couple months about random photography related questions I had.

Well on Monday, I called him and left a voicemail about paying our remaining balance. I didn't hear anything so I called him again on Wednesday. He answered and said he did not call me back because he doesn't remember me...... Ok. Well I tried to remind him about how I was referred through my aunt and we emailed, etc. Still nothing. I would have thought my last name would have a least rang a tiny bell. I mean after all it's 14 letters long and VERY German.

He said he didn't want to take any money / any more money from me until he could confirm that I am in fact one of his customers.

I haven't heard anything yet.

Do you think I should be worried yet or am I just being paranoid??

Re: Photographer doesn't remember me...

• Options
    Umm yeah I'd be worried. He couldn't look at his schedule and see you there? Does your online banking go back far enough to see the check I assume he cashed? 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    What the hell? I would be worried, and annoyed. How did you pay him? Do you have any receipt of this payment? Do you still have your emails?
  • Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited January 2014
    PDKH said:
    hlvonb said:

So, we booked our photographer a while back. Yes, it was really early but he is highly recommended by my aunt (who works in the wedding photography business) and he books up fast! When we talked to him about February 2013 he already had all of July (except for our date booked) so we paid the deposit right there (Yes we looked at his work online and in person and got reviews, etc).

Since then, he and I have chatted via email every couple months about random photography related questions I had.

Well on Monday, I called him and left a voicemail about paying our remaining balance. I didn't hear anything so I called him again on Wednesday. He answered and said he did not call me back because he doesn't remember me...... Ok. Well I tried to remind him about how I was referred through my aunt and we emailed, etc. Still nothing. I would have thought my last name would have a least rang a tiny bell. I mean after all it's 14 letters long and VERY German.

He said he didn't want to take any money / any more money from me until he could confirm that I am in fact one of his customers.

IUm, yes, 'd be worried if you paid this man, booked him, and he can't find you on his calendar. It's fine if he doesn't remember you personally, but if he can't find the fact that you are a client in his records, yes, be worried.

Do you have email conversations you can re-forward? I'd be tempted to find a different photographer. This guy does not sound professional in the slightest. 

@PDKH

I have the emails in a folder called Photographer so I can forward them to him. I am also trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he hasn't had a chance to look at his calendar yet or forgot. (Fiance's idea) since he was not at his office when he answered. He's been in the business for 20 years and according to my aunt (literally just got off the phone with her) this is very uncharacteristic of him....

• Options
    Umm yeah I'd be worried. He couldn't look at his schedule and see you there? Does your online banking go back far enough to see the check I assume he cashed? 

@ShesSoCold

He wasn't at his office when I called so he didn't have his calendar in front of him. Yes, it goes back far enough. I am also trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he hasn't had a chance to look at his calendar yet or forgot. (Fiance's idea)

• Options
    Senecaf said:
    What the hell? I would be worried, and annoyed. How did you pay him? Do you have any receipt of this payment? Do you still have your emails?

@Senecaf

I paid with a check and have a contract where he wrote the check number and amount in the deposit line and then wrote the remaining balance below that.

Yes I have the emails

• Options
    Yeah, I'd be worried. I would not only forward him your previous e-mails, but I'd start looking for a back-up photographer.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd be worried. I would not only forward him your previous e-mails, but I'd start looking for a back-up photographer.

@HisGirlFriday13

I will forward the emails to him when I get home. Do you think my fiancé is maybe right in giving him the benefit of the doubt that he may have forgot to look at the calendar since he was NOT at the office when I called him?

• Options
    PDKH said:
    hlvonb said:

I will forward the emails to him when I get home. Do you think my fiancé is maybe right in giving him the benefit of the doubt that he may have forgot to look at the calendar since he was NOT at the office when I called him?

To me, this is still incredibly unprofessional. If he didn't remember your name when you left a voice mail, he should have checked his records and then called you back. 

@PDKH

I agree that he should have but he is an amazing photographer and I don't want to give him up just yet :/

Maybe I will give him until the end of the day on Monday

• Options
    PDKH said:

hlvonb said:

To me, this is still incredibly unprofessional. If he didn't remember your name when you left a voice mail, he should have checked his records and then called you back. 

That. Even if he doesnt remeber you he should have taken the time to figure out who you were before responding. I would be prepared to look elsewhere. It is good you have all of your emails amd payments though.
  • Options
    Senecaf said:
    hlvonb said:

That. Even if he doesnt remeber you he should have taken the time to figure out who you were before responding. I would be prepared to look elsewhere. It is good you have all of your emails amd payments though.

@Senecaf

Yeah I agree but he is such an amazing photographer I don't want to give him up just yet.

I am thinking I will give him until the end of the day on Monday

• Options
    hlvonb said:

Do you have a contract?  
  • Options
    hlvonb said:

@HisGirlFriday13

I think if he didn't remember you off the top of his head, he damn well should have. If someone called my business and was talking about a contract they thought they had with me, you'd bet your ass I'd be looking in my records to find out why they thought that.

My larger concern is that, even if you have a contract with him, he may have double-booked himself, meaning one set of people is going to get screwed over in this process. 

Also, your timeline worries me. You called him Monday, he didn't call you back, you called back Wednesday, he told you he didn't remember you, and here it is 23.30 EST Friday and he still hasn't called you, falling all over himself with apologies that YES, he does remember you and YES, he did find your contract and OH MY GOD, he's so sorry?

I wouldn't give him until Monday. I would give him until noon tomorrow, and then I'd call and be like, "Have you looked for the contract, did you find it, or do I need to send you the signed stuff again?"

As my Economist screensaver says, "What, exactly, is the benefit of the doubt?" 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Yeah...it sounds like he double booked the date and doesn't know what to do. Don't most freelance artists usually have smart phones and such so that they can check these things on the go? I don't know, maybe he's just old school or something, but that just doesn't sound right to me.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    hlvonb said:

Do you have a contract?  
    @JoanE2012

Yes I do
  • Options
    Wait do you have an update on the situation?
  • Options
    hlvonb said:

@HisGirlFriday13

I think if he didn't remember you off the top of his head, he damn well should have. If someone called my business and was talking about a contract they thought they had with me, you'd bet your ass I'd be looking in my records to find out why they thought that.

My larger concern is that, even if you have a contract with him, he may have double-booked himself, meaning one set of people is going to get screwed over in this process. 

Also, your timeline worries me. You called him Monday, he didn't call you back, you called back Wednesday, he told you he didn't remember you, and here it is 23.30 EST Friday and he still hasn't called you, falling all over himself with apologies that YES, he does remember you and YES, he did find your contract and OH MY GOD, he's so sorry?

I wouldn't give him until Monday. I would give him until noon tomorrow, and then I'd call and be like, "Have you looked for the contract, did you find it, or do I need to send you the signed stuff again?"

As my Economist screensaver says, "What, exactly, is the benefit of the doubt?" 
    @HisGirlFriday13

I said Monday because he is either shooting a wedding on Saturdays or he's at home. He is not in the office on Saturdays.
  • Options
    You have a signed contract, I wouldnt worry too much about it.  I mean, I understand why you are worried but really if he falls through, you should get your deposit back or you can sue his dumb ass. 
  • Options
    You have a signed contract, I wouldnt worry too much about it.  I mean, I understand why you are worried but really if he falls through, you should get your deposit back or you can sue his dumb ass. 
    From a financial perspective, she is protected by the contract.  But I understand worrying because she has to get a backup photographer if this guy cancels; and even if he does come through, I would be really concerned he's unprofessional.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    From a financial perspective, she is protected by the contract.  But I understand worrying because she has to get a backup photographer if this guy cancels; and even if he does come through, I would be really concerned he's unprofessional.
    This. Being covered financially or being able to sue him doesn't change the fact that she won't have a photographer there if he flakes. And getting my deposit back would be little consolation for not having my professional wedding pics. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I think I would make an appointment with him ASAP, bring with me copies of the emails, the cancelled check, and the contract, and fix the situation right then and there. If he did double book the date and I was the first to have a signed contract, then I'd expect him to honor my booking. However, I don't know that I'd be able to trust him again and might just ask for my deposit back and find a new photographer.
  • Options
    This happened with my caterer.  I ended up dropping him because I found it unprofessional, and I was able to find someone else in time because I still had 5 months.  How much time do you have?

• Options
    I don't care how amazing his photos are -- I'd be very wary to proceed. If he does find your contract, he had better be apologizing his butt off for the misunderstanding, and possibly offer you something (ie: a set of prints) to compensate for it. I would also be asking for a written guarantee that he has not overextended/double-booked himself on your day.

• Options

I have the emails in a folder called Photographer so I can forward them to him. I am also trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he hasn't had a chance to look at his calendar yet or forgot. (Fiance's idea) since he was not at his office when he answered. He's been in the business for 20 years and according to my aunt (literally just got off the phone with her) this is very uncharacteristic of him....

I'm guessing since you have one for the photographer, each of your vendors has one too? Haha if you do, you do exactly as I do. Every email I've exchanged with all my contracted vendors has been saved and organized into their individual folders hehe. ^_~

As for what has happened, I agree with PPs. Totally unprofessional. I posted this in another thread but I don't care how popular or awesome a vendor is, if your customer service sucks you are losing my business. This guy, yeah he might be the best in your area and he might be awesome, etc. but would you REALLY want someone THAT flighty taking pics at your wedding? The fact that he has no record of you would make me worried. Extremely worried. Not just for the day of but with everything he would be handling. Money that you give him, the photos he's taking, hell when he's processing your photos, etc.

I would start researching for a bake up photographer, just in case. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you were emailing with him all this time, why don't you just reply to one of his previous messages. He'd have to remember you then. Also, why are you paying in full already? Your wedding isn't until July, and I don't know how other photographers work, but I don't have to pay in full until I get my pictures, after my wedding. 

If he doesn't reply to your email, I'd start looking for a new photographer ASAP.

• Options
    laurynm84 said:

If you were emailing with him all this time, why don't you just reply to one of his previous messages. He'd have to remember you then. Also, why are you paying in full already? Your wedding isn't until July, and I don't know how other photographers work, but I don't have to pay in full until I get my pictures, after my wedding. 

If he doesn't reply to your email, I'd start looking for a new photographer ASAP.
    Some photographers require payment in full before the wedding. Mine was due a week before.
  • Options

Some photographers require payment in full before the wedding. Mine was due a week before.
    Ditto. Our final payment is due two weeks before. We went ahead and payed in full because we felt confident in his skill and just wanted it to be one less thing to worry about. 
  • Options
    Yup we have to pay ours off in full the week before the wedding as well. From what I understand, that's fairly common around here.
    That said if the wedding is in July, and you already paid in full that seems REALLY early to me.
  • Options
    Paying in full THAT early seems odd.

We paid 25% upon booking; 50% is due day of; final 25% when she delivers our photos to us.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards