Luxury Weddings

Honeymoon is BOOKED....

Re: Honeymoon is BOOKED....

•  
    mc123mc said:
    South Africa anyone? We just booked 16 days there, some safari, some in cape town and the winelands and finishing up in Mozambique for beach and relaxation! I wish I could take a month off of work because there is so much more I'd want to do there. 

if anyone has been or is planning, let me know. 
     I haven't been, but we have been to the Mauritius and Seychelles (non-HM), so sorta kinda similar to the Mozambique portion of your trip! Anyway, just wanted to say congrats and have a great time! It's a long flight, but it's certainly something exotic and special!

• mc123mc said:
    South Africa anyone? We just booked 16 days there, some safari, some in cape town and the winelands and finishing up in Mozambique for beach and relaxation! I wish I could take a month off of work because there is so much more I'd want to do there. 

I am crazy jealous of your trip!

I am currently trying to figure out a fun spot for a babymoon in April/ May.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mc123mc, that sounds amazing!  We seriously considered S. Africa but decided to save it for an anniversary trip.

As of now, we are planning on Italy for the honeymoon in June.  WIth such well traveled posters here, I'd be open to hearing any suggestions.

• We are probably doing Bora Bora for HM.

In general I'm dying to go to Prague, Australia, and I'd like to do France/Paris with the then-H on an anniversary. :)
  • @offthemarket- where in Italy are you considering? I have only been to Northern Italy (Lake Como/Bellagio). It's quite scenic!

@Jennycolada- excellent choice! I just got back from Bora Bora in October! I've been there a few times, so def let me know if you have any questions! I also got married/HMed in Australia if you happen to head that way instead :)

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    We got married in South NJ (lived in St Thomas at the time).   We drove up to JFK and flew to Amsterdam.  Spent 2 days there then flew down to Johannesburg SA.  Only spent the night there then flew to our safari.  We stayed a Ulusaba Lodge (clicky).   AMAZING.  After 5 days there we took a red eye to Paris.  Spent 3 days there.    Then we flew to Philly (my sister) to pick up some wedding stuff to bring back to the islands.  Then we headed up to NY (DH's is from Long Island) and attended the last home Yankee game in the old stadium.   Then we flew back to St Thomas. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014

@Jennycolada- excellent choice! I just got back from Bora Bora in October! I've been there a few times, so def let me know if you have any questions! I also got married/HMed in Australia if you happen to head that way instead :)

We are thinking of October as well!! :D
    How long did you stay? What activities did you do? I take it you like it since you been a "few times". :)
  • When I go to the islands (I've been to most of the ones that have resorts) I typically spend 3-5 nights there. 3 nights is sufficient for some of the smaller islands, but for Bora Bora, I'd recommend 4-5. Also, most people, unless they only have 5-6 nights, usually do more than one island. It also helps if your budget is a little tighter as Bora Bora is the most expensive island. I have done the 4x4 tour, shark and ray feeding, private motu picnic, a combo snorkeling/shark and ray feeding, and I'm a spa nut! I don't like to keep on the go, so I also just do a lot of snorkeling/sun bathing at my own pace. On Moorea, I've done an ATV tour, coral garden snorkeling, jet skiing, circle island tour, and rented a car. Even though I haven't been back long, I am already hoping for another trip. I have been 6 times already!

• @jells2dot0 you are in PHX, right? I am coming out for a week in Feb, staying at the Biltmore. Any fun/ trendy restaurants I should try?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Jells2dot0 you sound just like me. I love just relaxing an hanging out on my own. I have read that some of the islands have good shopping, and it'd be nice to check out the markets. I love animals so the shark/ray feelings are a must. :D

Thanks!
  •  

KatWAG said:
    @jells2dot0 you are in PHX, right? I am coming out for a week in Feb, staying at the Biltmore. Any fun/ trendy restaurants I should try?

I am in PHX! The Biltmore is just outside of Scottsdale.  In Scottsdale, there is a Japanese place for ShinBay that is really popular recently. Tutti Santi is a popular Italian restaurant, Deseo at the Westin Kierland has good Cuban food, The House at Secret Garden is another one that gets good reviews. Lon's at the Hermosa is a local landmark restaurant that also gets good reviews. For more casual dining, Grimaldi's, Oregano's, or Pizzeria Bianco (super popular), Humble Pie for pizza. At the Biltmore Fashion Park (just down the street), they have a Blanco's Tacos which is good. Here is the link to the directory:

http://www.shopbiltmore.com/dining/restaurants

• @Jells2dot0 you sound just like me. I love just relaxing an hanging out on my own. I have read that some of the islands have good shopping, and it'd be nice to check out the markets. I love animals so the shark/ray feelings are a must. :D Thanks!

STUCK IN BOX- the only island that has shopping is Tahiti. Le Marche is the place to go! Everything you can think of and more. It's a true traditional Polynesian market and has been around forever. Moorea has some stores, but nothing like Tahiti. Tahiti is also the place for food trucks aka roulottes!

• @Jells2dot0 you sound just like me. I love just relaxing an hanging out on my own. I have read that some of the islands have good shopping, and it'd be nice to check out the markets. I love animals so the shark/ray feelings are a must. :D Thanks!

STUCK IN BOX- the only island that has shopping is Tahiti. Le Marche is the place to go! Everything you can think of and more. It's a true traditional Polynesian market and has been around forever. Moorea has some stores, but nothing like Tahiti. Tahiti is also the place for food trucks aka roulottes!
    Awesome! I really am dying to stay in one of the on-the-water bungalows, so we may try to split the trip 3/3 or something. :)
  • Hi all!  I am also looking to book my honeymoon in October 2014 in Tahiti.  What other islands do you recommend other than Bora Bora or what have you found so far?  I'm thinking about a few days in Bora Bora and a few maybe in Rangiroa?  But I know nothing! @Jells2dot0, help?!
  • @itsmestacey123- I'm happy to help if I can! What type of experience are you looking for? Rangi is the ultimate dive destination, so if you are divers, I do recommend staying there. If you want something more active, Moorea is a great option. If you have a larger budget, The Brando is opening in July! It's a luxury eco all inclusive. If you like seclusion, Tikehau and Taha'a are great options. Tikehau is super remote and an atoll like Rangi. Taha'a is a little more luxurious and is somewhat close to Bora Bora (so less flying time.) Huahine is great for something a little more authentic, as it is Moorea about 30 years ago.

• @jells2dot0 we have gone back and forth about Bora Bora. realistically, for a 5 night 6 day trip what would two people expect to spend on food/beverage? I know it can vary, but lets say, staying at the Hilton on Bora Bora. I'm so envious of all the experience you have in these places, I hope someday my traveling resume is as impressive!! :) do you have any great insight on the carribean?? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @jells2dot0 Thank you so much for your ideas!  We are getting married on Maui and planning to do some more "adventurous" activity after our wedding on another island in Hawaii (Kauai or the Big Island), then more relaxation in Tahiti for about a week.  We will definitely want to explore a bit so we're not bored, but probably will only do a few "excursions" and spent most of our time at the beach/resort.  We're trying to decide how to split our time, as we want to do an OWB in one destination and then just a regular room/bugalow on another island/atol.  The Brando looks AWESOME but probably a out of our price range.  We stayed somewhere similar in Australia that was all-inclusive called Kangaroo Island.  Sounds like Moorea, Tikehau,Taha'a and Huahine are next on my list to research!  Do you recommend working with a travel agent and if so, is there anyone in particular that you have had a good experience with?
  • tcnoble said:

@jells2dot0 we have gone back and forth about Bora Bora. realistically, for a 5 night 6 day trip what would two people expect to spend on food/beverage? I know it can vary, but lets say, staying at the Hilton on Bora Bora. I'm so envious of all the experience you have in these places, I hope someday my traveling resume is as impressive!! :) do you have any great insight on the carribean?? 

Most resorts are including breakfast now, so that certainly helps! If you ate a pretty decent sized lunch, expect around $50-$75 and dinners around the $100-$200 range. There are certainly ways to cut back on costs, such as stocking up on snacks, juice, and other goodies at the market to avoid lunch or even bringing small snacks from home (granola bars, oatmeal packets.)

The Caribbean is obviously a very large area, but i've been to a few islands there. I have not been, but many liken St. Lucia to Moorea or Kauai!

• @jells2dot0 Thank you so much for your ideas!  We are getting married on Maui and planning to do some more "adventurous" activity after our wedding on another island in Hawaii (Kauai or the Big Island), then more relaxation in Tahiti for about a week.  We will definitely want to explore a bit so we're not bored, but probably will only do a few "excursions" and spent most of our time at the beach/resort.  We're trying to decide how to split our time, as we want to do an OWB in one destination and then just a regular room/bugalow on another island/atol.  The Brando looks AWESOME but probably a out of our price range.  We stayed somewhere similar in Australia that was all-inclusive called Kangaroo Island.  Sounds like Moorea, Tikehau,Taha'a and Huahine are next on my list to research!  Do you recommend working with a travel agent and if so, is there anyone in particular that you have had a good experience with?

I've heard of Kangaroo! We married on Wilson island in Australia, which is AI and very Eco friendly and we honeymooned on Lizard Island!

I do recommend working with an experienced agent for Tahiti. There are a lot of little things that a first time traveler there would not pick up on their own. After you've been a few times, it's a little easier to plan on your own. I've worked with a lot of great agents over the years across the country! Where are you located? I can PM you with some recs and maybe one closely located to you!

• We just checked this off! We are going to to Spain and Portugal for our HM.

Everyone's trips sound so amazing!
  • @jells2dot0  It's starting to shape up and looks like we'll concentrate on 3-4 different spots bewteen Rome and the Amalfi coast.
  • mc123mc said:

@mc123mc ~ I spent 2 weeks in SA (Capetown) during grad school and LOVED it! Hardly a honeymoon, I realize, but I enjoyable nonetheless. Definitely go to Hout Bay, and I've heard Noordhoek is awesome. This link give lots of other cool suggestions: CLICK HERE
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2014
    We just booked our Hawaii HM with a great travel agent thanks to a rec from @Jells2dot0 !

We are going to the 4 Seasons on the Big Island, then the Andaz on Maui and the St. Regis on Kauai.  9 nights total.  If anyone has any suggestions of must-do/see things on these islands, let me know!
  •  

We just booked our Hawaii HM with a great travel agent thanks to a rec from @Jells2dot0 !

We are going to the 4 Seasons on the Big Island, then the Andaz on Maui and the St. Regis on Kauai.  9 nights total.  If anyone has any suggestions of must-do/see things on these islands, let me know!

STUCK IN BOX- YAY!!!!! So glad it worked out. I hope to make it to the Four Seasons on the BI one day :) I highly recommend a helicopter tour on one of the islands. I have only done Maui as last time we were in Kauai, we had my SD and she gets motion sick. We really enjoyed the beach at the St. Regis, though. Good people watching! I do recommend a cruise around the Naapali Coast as well. The Road to Hana on Maui was a little bit torturous for me, but most people love it.

• @crazycatlady3 Bali is amazing! And there are lots of creature comforts all over Asia. You can stay at 5* hotels and hire a driver and see everything you want! 
  • We just booked our Hawaii HM with a great travel agent thanks to a rec from @Jells2dot0 !

You're going to love the St. Regis. It was such an a great property, and it's close to a lot of fun things to do in Princeville. Check out Princeville Ranch if you're into horseback riding, zip lining, or hiking. I wasn't hugely into horses, but I had to do it, and I'm so glad I did. Three hour horseback ride through the valleys and woods, then you swim at a waterfall (!!) and hike/ride back. 

The bar at the St. Regis is great, too.

Also, go sailing around the Na Pali Coast, if you can swing it. Stunning, and you can hop off and go snorkeling. (If you're into diving, there are some dive spots, too.)
  • alm&mdm said:

We just checked this off! We are going to to Spain and Portugal for our HM.

Everyone's trips sound so amazing!
    That's what we're planning on doing! What parts of each country? FI's family is from Portugal, and he still has family there, so we plan on visiting them and then traveling around. I'm so shocked I found someone with a similar plan!

• @ashleynicole1218 How neat!  

The current plan includes Porto and Lisbon for our major Portugal stops and Seville, Granada, Madrid and Barcelona as our big stops in Spain. but I'd also love to do a hop over to Morocco (I'd love to see the markets) and FI really wants to go to San Sebastián as well so we are trying to to figure out the best tour route. 
  • Just booked our honeymoon for Greece! We can't wait we are going to Santorini, Mykonos and Athens!
  • We finally booked our honeymoon last week. We will be spending 10 days in Belize.  I can't wait for this vacation!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards