Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Different meals for wedding party

Ok, I need some etiquette advice, yet again. My Fi and I are having a nice wedding at a rustic banquet hall.  I have heard the food is very good from many of my friends.  My FI and I have chosen a duet dinner package.  This includes a 6 oz serving of sirloin and a 6 oz. serving of roasted chicken with a tarragon lemon cream sauce.  I am a picky eater, though.  I love steak, but I only eat filet mignon. (Just appreciate a more tender cut of steak).  Is it rude for me to order filet mignon for my wedding party and the rest of the guests have sirloin?  My FI think's it's acceptable, but I have a hard time serving my guests something I would not eat myself... but I am a picky eater.  What is your opinion?

Re: Different meals for wedding party

• Options
    Okay. I had a feeling it was. But FI was trying to tell me it was fine. I told him it would be like serving turkey sandwiches to everyone while I got a turkey dinner.  He said I was the only one who was picky and no one else would notice.  Glad I asked
  • Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't do it. Sorry.
  • Options
    No way. If you want filet everyone gets filet.
  • Options
    If you can't afford to give everyone filet, just eat the same meal as them but don't eat your steak. The rest of it will probably be plenty. Everyone always says they barely ate at their own wedding anyways, because they are too busy trying to see everyone.
  • Options

I agree with everyone else. It's one thing for someone to get something different then the other guests due to dietary needs but just because you don't like what you're serving isn't a good reason.

• Options
    Yeah, your FI is off base. Everyone gets the same meal, period. If you don't like the steak maybe see if you can get an extra portion of the chicken instead, or swap your steak for your FI's chicken.
  • Options
    Tiering the quality of service among your guests is always rude.
  • Options
    Yes, that's very rude. 
  • Options
    Another yes that is rude vote.

When it comes to steaks I myself, only eat filet.  That is why we had filet as our steak option.    I you do not like the steak just ask for 2 of the chicken.  Our duet plate had crabcake which I do not eat so I had to filets.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Yes, it's rude.  

If you want filet, serve everyone filet.  If that isn't an option, order a portion of filet for yourself and have the caterers send it home with you after the reception.  It's true that you won't really have time to eat much during the reception anyway.  
  • Options
    Yes, it's rude.  

If you want filet, serve everyone filet.  If that isn't an option, order a portion of filet for yourself and have the caterers send it home with you after the reception.  It's true that you won't really have time to eat much during the reception anyway.  
    I don't agree with the bolded.  H and I had plenty of time to eat.  We were able to get our food from our stations, sit, relax, eat everything off of our plates and still have time to get up and do table visits.

OP, yes it is rude to serve yourself and your wedding party something different then what you are serving your guests.  Just ask the caterer to give you double the chicken and nix the steak from your plate.  And make sure that you and your FI take some time to sit and eat and enjoy yourselves.

• Options
    I'm with you in that the only steak I eat is filet. I'm a super picky eater as well. The standard steak that our caterer offered was sirloin. We asked if we could do filet instead and they said yes. We are giving all of our guests filet though. I would never serve my guests something that I don't even want to eat.
  • Options
    It is rude to serve yourself something better than your guests.  My mom loves the phrase "what one does, we all do" that phrase was typically used for family vacations when my brother wanted to go to the beach and I wanted to go do something else. But it is also appropriate in this scenario.  

However, duo plates are typically more expensive than single plates, and single plates of filet are typically more expensive.  Could you switch the duo plate for single plates, and then you could afford to give everyone the same?
  • Options
    I love pretty much all kinds of steak, however, I would judge you hardcore for getting a better cut for yourself than the rest of the guests.  
  • Options
    PP's have covered this one.

Personally, I'm a rib eye girl- way more flavor than filet.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Your FI is wrong. It's very rude for the couple/wedding party to serve themselves anything more and/or of better quality than the other guests.
  • Options
    Im.having ribeyes at our wedding based on flavor but all of our guests get it as an option. Anything else is rude.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    OP, did you do a tasting at your venue yet? If you haven't, you may be surprised and end up liking the sirloin. If you have done the tasting and didn't like the other cut, then I'd proceed with the advice given by PPs.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    My friend substituted grilled cheese for her meal, while she gave her guests filet.  I don't think anyone was mad about that.

But yeah OP, just go with what everyone else gets.
    sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
  • Options
    PP's have covered this one.

Personally, I'm a rib eye girl- way more flavor than filet.
    Yup, and much larger which means more to eat!

• Options
    I love steak of all kinds and I wouldn't necessarily be pissed if bride groom and party had different entrees but I would judge them
  • Options
    Im.having ribeyes at our wedding based on flavor but all of our guests get it as an option. Anything else is rude.
    Where is my invite?!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    It's one meal on one night of your life. You can't live with a few bites of sirloin? You're going to have 12 ounces of meat on your plate, I think you'll be okay.
  • Options
    Agree with previous posters. I don't think it's a terrible idea to select food for your wedding that both you and your fiance like. We're only picking food options that both of us enjoy, even though we're going to have meat (either beef or chicken), fish, and a vegan entree. It just means we're going to try everything and make sure we like it.

So that's another way to think about it--serve your guests food that you think is yummy.

(WARNING: Obviously, you also want to make sure that your guests will enjoy your food, too. If you think that fish is yummy, and that's the only entree you have, that's not too fair to guests who don't eat fish. This is actually why we're having a split entree: my partner eats fish but not beef/poultry, so we want a fish entree, but there are a LOT of people in his family who can't stand fish.)
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    There is a post discussion about the worst wedding you've been to, and different meals for the wedding party is one of them...
  • Options
    Here you go http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/996525/worst-wedding-you-ve-ever-been-to

To be honest, I wouldn't care if I were a guest, but some ppl do...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards