March 2014 Weddings

Just mailed my invites!!

I got up this morning with a major debate on my hands.  Whether or not to mail the invites out today or wait until Friday.  I decided that I would mail them out today (with an ok from FI) so that they'd start being delivered to peoples homes by Thursday/Friday this week.  My DS and I got ourselves into the car, with invites in tow, and went to our local post office to drop them off.  I handed them over to the clerk (went to the counter just to see if I had to hand cancel them) and was told "Congratulations - there's no turning back now!!!" by the clerk.  How sweet. LOL.  

So, they've been mailed as of 11am this morning.  So surreal.  I can't wait for the RSVP's to start flowing in!!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Michelle & Ronald
01/03/81
06/18/81
08/25/10
05/07/13
03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
image 40 are party poopers
image 0 awaiting reply
Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.

Re: Just mailed my invites!!

• How exciting!  My mom and I mailed our "test invites" to each other yesterday.  
    We wanted to see:
    a) how long they'd take to 600+ miles between us 
    b) the condition they'd come in after the post office refused to hand cancel them. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • How exciting!  My mom and I mailed our "test invites" to each other yesterday.  

We wanted to see:
    a) how long they'd take to 600+ miles between us 
    b) the condition they'd come in after the post office refused to hand cancel them. 
    I actually asked if i had to hand cancel them and they said since the were $.66 stamps they automatically get hand cancelled. Thet then handed them to another clerk and he hand cancelled them. Cool.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • That's exciting.  My wedding date is the same!  I am working on my invites now and  hope to have them mail out by befor January 11. 
  • We were going to wait until this Friday to mail them out but decided that it would be better to get them out sooner.  Our RSVP date is 2/20 but we need final count by 3/1 sooooooo earlier the better....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • Still need to address them as well as finalize guest list here! I'm a slacker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LisaA2014 said:

Still need to address them as well as finalize guest list here! I'm a slacker

Get to it!!! 67 days to go!!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • My dress isn't even in, honeymoon is paid off as of today though! Are you doing a honeymoon? If so where?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • yikes mine just came in today!! lol.. theyll be out on the 27th since my shower invites are going out this week.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @Rakkaya87 and @lisaa2014, first class postage goes up the 26th.
  • @silver0319 pls excuse my ignorance i literally NEVER use postal mail.... i have the wedding roses forever stamps, is that still ok to use? thank you for that heads up too!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @Rakkaya87 and @lisaa2014, first class postage goes up the 26th.

Thank you I didn't know that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @rakkaya87, The forever stamps are fine to use, but I believe any stamp with printed values (like a $.66 stamp) will need to have the postage adjusted. I would recommend weighing a completed invitation to determine the postage.
  • @silver0319 thanks, i definitely will sneak an invite into work and do that :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I sent mine out in December...rsvps are coming in in dribs and drabs...I think a lot of folks wait till after the holiday mail rush so they don't get lost- I sent mine out just before. I've put the RSVP deadline at a week and a half after the hotel block expires, so there's time for alternate arrangements for those who didn't go with the block in time. My venue gave me 72 hours prior to the wedding as the final headcount deadline, but we're ordering cupcakes as favors and I'm making welcome bags, so I need time to get that all together!
  • Mine are out (finally) too!     
  • LisaA2014 said:
    My dress isn't even in, honeymoon is paid off as of today though! Are you doing a honeymoon? If so where?
    My dress is being in the process of being worked on.  Should be completed come March 1st for final fittings/adjustments.  No honeymoon here.  Probably going to take a long weekend come summer time to go away to a nice B&B.
    rakkaya87 said:
    @silver0319 pls excuse my ignorance i literally NEVER use postal mail.... i have the wedding roses forever stamps, is that still ok to use? thank you for that heads up too!
    Yes, the forever stamps are ok, especially the Wedding Roses, but they would only be used for the RSVP's as you will need your ENTIRE wedding invite weighed.  I had taken a sample in early November to get an idea and I was told $.66 for outer and $.46 for inner (aka Forever stamps).  They don't have any more of the wedding roses on sale, but they have the "Yes I Do" $.66 stamps.  The postage does go up come January 27, and if I was you I'd get mine out sooner than the end of the month, to give time for the invites to get out where they have to go before your RSVP and deadline w/your reception location.  
    I sent mine out in December...rsvps are coming in in dribs and drabs...I think a lot of folks wait till after the holiday mail rush so they don't get lost- I sent mine out just before. I've put the RSVP deadline at a week and a half after the hotel block expires, so there's time for alternate arrangements for those who didn't go with the block in time. My venue gave me 72 hours prior to the wedding as the final headcount deadline, but we're ordering cupcakes as favors and I'm making welcome bags, so I need time to get that all together!
    We debated sending ours out in December and decided to give immediate family theirs on Christmas day (Mom/Dad/siblings/immediate aunts/uncles & Grandma).  The rest of our invites went out 12/31/13 and I started getting RSVP's on Monday.  It was really cool seeing the little envelopes in our mailbox.  I'm sure the RSVP's will start coming in soon as they are due by 2/20....People keep texting me that they got the invite, but didn't say when they'd be sending back the RSVP.  Agh.  I just hope everyone RSVP's so I don't have to track any answers down!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • My invitations just went out today! My mom prematurely sent them out (I wanted her to wait another week or so), but they are officially in the mail.
  • Thanks again girls :)

I am sending mine out on either the 18th or 21st.  The thought of it makes me want to vomit from nervousness haha I can't wait to get my RSVPs in :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• rakkaya87 said:
    Thanks again girls :)

I am sending mine out on either the 18th or 21st.  The thought of it makes me want to vomit from nervousness haha I can't wait to get my RSVPs in :)
    Wow. Not for nothing, you're really cutting it close.  Yes, it's this weekend, but if you push it any further, you'll be looking at increased postage.  We're having issues as it is now, a few of our family members have said that their invites have come to them damaged and "repackaged" from the damage (probably put in plastic bags, etc).  I think you should get them out sooner rather than later.  That way you can track down missing rsvps etc.  But good luck anyhow.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • What is causing the damage?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I called the post office that the invites were "postmarked" at and asked them what could cause the damage.  They said that the machine could have done it and I advised them that they were hand cancelled at my local post office (I saw the guy doing it as I left).  He said that it could have been the boxes that they place all the mail in, they're stacked and could have crushed the envelope.  I told him that the one looked like it was OPENED then crumpled and placed back into the envelope like it was never touched.  Horrible looking.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • @soontobemrsbuccheri Oh no :( I'm sorry to hear that.... I plan on stamping mine at work once weighed, so hopefully it's not a machine issue from the stamping at the post office.  They're pretty simple so I don't see it exceeding the .47 cent mark mark for total weight but I'll be prepared with .66 just in case :)

FI and I have been debating on sending last week versus next week, the issue is, my sister was REALLY late on assembling my bridal shower, which is February 15th, and the invites went out last week... so I didn't want people receiving my shower invite AND my wedding invite the same week... so I was going to wait until all of those reached their destinations (and they have according to me stalking my registry and seeing things purchased already LOL), so now FI and I can go and get the cardstock and start prepping my invites.  They will definitely be on their way on Saturday.    Thank you for your concern and heads up :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My mom and I did a test run a few weeks ago without hand canceling.  We both got our invitations, but they were slightly damaged and marked up. After that, we decided to go for the hand canceling.

When my mom sent out all of my invites last week, she requested hand canceling.  Her post office must have thought she meant special handling, because they charged her an extra $.20/invite.  FMIL got hers (it was sent a week ahead of everyone else) and said it arrived flawlessly.  
  • They charge an additional $.20 for hand cancelling. i didnt have to pay it as i knew the clerk at the post office. Lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • Good to know!  I just ran out to throw an extra invitation in the mail, and the clerk didn't charge me.  Maybe because I only had 1 invitation, not 80? lol
  • Technically your suppose to send between 6-8 weeks before the wedding. Or else people may forget! So I would say you are perfectly fine waiting til next week. My fiancé took ours to be weighed yesterday and it was regular postage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not sure if every post office does this.  I dropped off 95 invitations and I was not charged an extra 20 cents per invite.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jwoftexas said:
    I'm not sure if every post office does this.  I dropped off 95 invitations and I was not charged an extra 20 cents per invite.
    It depends on if you have it hand cancelled or if it will go through the machine.  I opted to have mine hand cancelled which costs an extra $.20 per envelope.  Thankfully, I knew the clerk at the post office really well from picking up and dropping mail off for my job, so they waived the fees.  :o)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • jwoftexas said:
    I'm not sure if every post office does this.  I dropped off 95 invitations and I was not charged an extra 20 cents per invite.
    It depends on if you have it hand cancelled or if it will go through the machine.  I opted to have mine hand cancelled which costs an extra $.20 per envelope.  Thankfully, I knew the clerk at the post office really well from picking up and dropping mail off for my job, so they waived the fees.  :o)
    I requested that my invites were hand cancelled and they did not charge me the extra 20 cents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to the post office on Monday to weigh the invitation and buy the stamps.  I had already weighed it at work but wanted to double check the .66.  The mail lady Debbie was so nice helping me.  She knew exactly what stamps she wanted me to get (lol) but her boss had to release them to her. So I waited, and waited, and waited.  Finally got them with 10 minutes to spare to get back to work. 

Put my invitations together and asked my mom to take them to the post office on Wednesday and told her to ask them to hand cancel them.  She goes to the small one in their community center then calls me because the mail guy said I didn't have enough postage that it should be $0.20 more each.  Now that I read the above responses I guess that's what he was trying to say.  I told her to go to the big one and ask for Debbie.  She lucked out and got her, told her I was there on Monday and she remembered me. Hand canceled them right there an then.  Thanks Debbie!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards