Favors

Crafty, with a touch of personal, Favors

I'm a crafty person. I cross stitch, crochet, knit, sew and quilt. So when it came time to plan for my wedding and the things to have for it, I automatically thought that I could make some of it. The first part that I'm thinking about while I scout locations is "what kind of party favor to do?" After talking to my fiance, I decided that I want to cross stitch something for the favors. My only problem, I don't know what to make. Everything that I search is something like "On this date, her married her..." (picture). I don't want that. I want something small-ish and possible more on a personal side. If anyone has any ideas, please share them with me. I would greatly appreciate them! Ohhhh! and if this helps, my wedding colors are red black and white!

Thanks for your help!!

Re: Crafty, with a touch of personal, Favors

• Here the picture.
  • I'd suggest maybe crafting something to use in the wedding, DIY guestbook, table numbers, decor, etc.  Most people suggest going with an edible favor.

Anniversary
  • KEB0511 said:
    I'm a crafty person. I cross stitch, crochet, knit, sew and quilt. So when it came time to plan for my wedding and the things to have for it, I automatically thought that I could make some of it. The first part that I'm thinking about while I scout locations is "what kind of party favor to do?" After talking to my fiance, I decided that I want to cross stitch something for the favors. My only problem, I don't know what to make. Everything that I search is something like "On this date, her married her..." (picture). I don't want that. I want something small-ish and possible more on a personal side. If anyone has any ideas, please share them with me. I would greatly appreciate them! Ohhhh! and if this helps, my wedding colors are red black and white!

Thanks for your help!!
    I'd definitely steer clear of personalization to the two of you.  Nobody wants something in their house with your names, wedding date, etc.

Honestly, I'd just skip it and do something edible.  Most guests will appreciate that!  I have no idea what I'd do with a cross stitch.  And even if you did that, what about the guys?  My DH would say that's not a favor to him!  

Ultimately, we would leave it behind.  Or, just not to make the bride and groom feel bad, we might take them home and then put them in the trash.  I have a feeling if you do this you are going to be very upset when you spent the time making them and most are left behind.
  • Anything cross-stitched would look out of place at our house. Go edible.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I could not imagine cross stitching 100 or so of something, even if it were small. That seems like it would take a lot of time and effort and then you may be very disappointed when those items are left behind. I know that if I put in a ton if effort into something and then people just left them behind it would be upsetting.

Also cross stitch stuff is not really everyone's thing.  I would cross stitch something specific for the wedding, like maybe cross stitch a love quote on a handkerchief for you FI or something like that.

• I agree that a cross-stitched item would not be the best favor, especially if it were personalized. In what season is your wedding? I think a funky knit or crocheted beverage cozy could be especially cute if your wedding is in winter or fall, especially if the reception will be outside.
  • I am sewing linen hand towels/dish cloths for my 18th century themed wedding. I was doing them by hand but will probably move to the sewing machine before I am done. I got a few yards of different linens, mostly neturals, and am basically just hemming them, folding them and tying them with a ribbon. I'm also including an oz. or two of tea with each, wrapped in a little package. 

I think something useful or consumable is best. Quilting and cross-stitch are probably too much work, or at least they would be for me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Make a cross stitch ornament for them to use at x-mas to remember you guys everyyear. Don't do anything with your names and dates. Too cheesy and no one other than your parents will want that. Maybe cross stitch an Irish knot in a shape of a heart or something else that has to do with you guys, your heritage, or just love.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• leelabear said:

Make a cross stitch ornament for them to use at x-mas to remember you guys everyyear. Don't do anything with your names and dates. Too cheesy and no one other than your parents will want that. Maybe cross stitch an Irish knot in a shape of a heart or something else that has to do with you guys, your heritage, or just love.

I don't know anyone who would want that either.

• leelabear said:

Make a cross stitch ornament for them to use at x-mas to remember you guys everyyear. Don't do anything with your names and dates. Too cheesy and no one other than your parents will want that. Maybe cross stitch an Irish knot in a shape of a heart or something else that has to do with you guys, your heritage, or just love.

Not everybody celebrates Christmas OR likes cross stitch.
  • I agree but not everyone everywhere likes something. Besides she said she decided she wanted to cross stitch so I was giving an idea. I said Christmas because it was just an idea. Maybe she is jewish. Maybe she isn't even irish so an irish knot is a bad idea too. She asked for ideas... so try giving them out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards