Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

"No Black Attire" Guest Request?

Re: "No Black Attire" Guest Request?

• Options
    I still want to know what the Groom is going to wear!!!!!

• Options
    Ok, so by "summer clothes", I'd wear Capri pants or shorts. You said summer clothes! And I'm not about to buy new clothes just for a wedding, so I'd either ignore you and wear whatever I wanted, or be annoyed enough to wear all black (or the most hideously loud dress I could find since you want bright outfits.)
  • Options
    jlhart76jlhart76 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    double post
  • Options
    jenniferursjenniferurs member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    TiaTea said:

@mobkaz
    "The only statement you have that is accurate and helpful is this....................."You can't really put it on the invitation"."

About what is helpful, that's your opinion. I wasn't asking for opinions, but thanks.
    About accuracy, if you have any facts, lets talk about them.

Which part of what I said is not accurate?

For example , I am wrong , that she can email information about the venue to her family and friends?
    Can she  not inform people about the venue, the expected weather, or if there  are specifics ( such as sand beach) that may impact the guest comfort , when they decide what shoes to wear?
    Are the conditions of the venue and/or the expected weather supposed to be a secret or surprise?

Are you telling me that I am wrong about what my experience is regarding what people wear to outside summer parties?  This is my experience. What do you know about my experiences?
    Are you saying that I did not take the above information from Wikipedia?
    Are you sayig that the referenced authors did not write those things?
    Are you saying that OP can not research those or other authors?
    Are you telling me that I did not hear about not wearing black before?

Which part of what I am saying is not accurate. Facts , please?

As far as what is , or is not helpful for the OP, she'll decide for herself.

PS
    If you were telling OP what your opinion is, I wouldn't question it, but you are accusing me of being inaccurate when I am presenting facts.

Somebody needs some tequila.
  • Options

TiaTea said:

@mobkaz
    "The only statement you have that is accurate and helpful is this....................."You can't really put it on the invitation"."

About what is helpful, that's your opinion. I wasn't asking for opinions, but thanks.
    About accuracy, if you have any facts, lets talk about them.

Which part of what I said is not accurate?

For example , I am wrong , that she can email information about the venue to her family and friends?
    Can she  not inform people about the venue, the expected weather, or if there  are specifics ( such as sand beach) that may impact the guest comfort , when they decide what shoes to wear?
    Are the conditions of the venue and/or the expected weather supposed to be a secret or surprise?

Are you telling me that I am wrong about what my experience is regarding what people wear to outside summer parties?  This is my experience. What do you know about my experiences?
    Are you saying that I did not take the above information from Wikipedia?
    Are you sayig that the referenced authors did not write those things?
    Are you saying that OP can not research those or other authors?
    Are you telling me that I did not hear about not wearing black before?

Which part of what I am saying is not accurate. Facts , please?

As far as what is , or is not helpful for the OP, she'll decide for herself.

PS
    If you were telling OP what your opinion is, I wouldn't question it, but you are accusing me of being inaccurate when I am presenting facts.

Somebody needs some tequila.
    Tequila is always needed.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Firstly, I think this is an issue of you wanting to suggest to grown adults that they aren't allowed to wear a certain color to your wedding. When you posted this question to this public forum, and got a resounding "No." you were upset that no one would validate your choice, and went ahead and did whatever you wanted to anyway. Which, that is fine, if that's how you want to be perceived, but you asked for everyone's opinion and you got it. Secondly, I think you are forgetting many factors. A) most guests still are unsure of whether or not black is an acceptable option for a wedding, and therefore tend to stray from black anyway. B) your guests are not going to be in many pictures, so why does it matter what they wear? and C) As was stated before, there really is no "nice" way to tell or suggest to a grown adult what they can wear. There just isn't. Stop blaming everyone else for not validating your choices made in poor taste.
  • Options
    I've never heard anyone question is black was appropriate for a wedding or not. Is that a thing?
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    jdluvr06 said: I've never heard anyone question is black was appropriate for a wedding or not. Is that a thing?

I
    think in some very traditional areas, and in some social circles, black is avoided.  However, I do believe that is becoming less and less common.  It is not unusual at all in weddings I have attended in the past 5 years to see not only many guests wearing black, but bridal parties as well.
  • Options
    doeydo said:

All I envision is men in pastel green and peach suits, a la 'dumb and dumber'.

Yup...

I attended a wedding where all the GM wore these suits, each a different color. On St Patricks Day.
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    You're out of your fucking mind. 
    That is the rudest thing I have ever heard on TK.

You need to lurk more.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    All I envision is men in pastel green and peach suits, a la 'dumb and dumber'.
    Yup...
    I attended a wedding where all the GM wore these suits, each a different color. On St Patricks Day.
    If that really happened, please please please tell me you got pictures.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    I've never heard anyone question is black was appropriate for a wedding or not. Is that a thing?
    It's not a "thing" anywhere except on TK, based on my experience.

There's some antiquated notion that if you wear black you are disapproving of the marriage, which I had never heard of until coming to these boards.  No one else in my social circles has ever heard of this either, including some really old relatives ;-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    AddieL73 said:

You need to lurk more.
    I think she was being sarcastic toward Addie, not serious.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    AddieL73 said:

You need to lurk more.
    I think she was being sarcastic toward Addie, not serious.

• Options
    AddieL73 said:

You need to lurk more.
    @grumbledore

She was just kidding. She's been around over a year and we're friend off site, too.  It's in reference to someone recently ACTUALLY saying something I said was the nastiest thing she had heard on TK. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

I shouldn't have even bothered. I just didn't know people were gonna be so awful to me just because I asked a simple question, a question involving me trying to be courteous to others, and what I got was the exact opposite in return. 

I'm really disappointed in the people that post on this website, regarding the happiest day of ones' life. I made a huge mistake that people would be welcomed in celebrating such an important and beautiful day.

I guess you had forgotten what it was like to be a young newlywed.

Please do yourself a favor and stop trying to "help," because all it's doing is hurting others.
    People on here can be very rude. I think it's no different than putting "Black tie requested" on an invitation. I wouldn't be offended by that. But maybe, you could try word of mouth rather than putting it on the invite. Ask your wedding party and parents to mention to guests before hand what you are requesting.
  • Options
    I shouldn't have even bothered. I just didn't know people were gonna be so awful to me just because I asked a simple question, a question involving me trying to be courteous to others, and what I got was the exact opposite in return. 

I'm really disappointed in the people that post on this website, regarding the happiest day of ones' life. I made a huge mistake that people would be welcomed in celebrating such an important and beautiful day.

Please do yourself a favor and stop trying to "help," because all it's doing is hurting others.
    People on here can be very rude. I think it's no different than putting "Black tie requested" on an invitation. I wouldn't be offended by that. But maybe, you could try word of mouth rather than putting it on the invite. Ask your wedding party and parents to mention to guests before hand what you are requesting.
    You're right, it is no different than putting black tie requested on an invite. That is also rude. Unless your event is black tie, you don't put anything about black tie attire on the invite.
  • Options

1st, you don't put attire requests on invitations unless your venue has a dress code- like a country club, or you are actually having a Black Tie event.

Please don't ask people to tell your guests how to dress for your wedding, either.  That is super rude.

• Options
    I know this isn't my thread, but now I'm honestly asking, why is it ok for some events to be black tie and not to request a dress code for others?

I saw a few weddings on TLC shows and brides requested certain attire. Do you think they were rude or is it ok in some cases?
    (Note: this is just my curiosity. I'm not making such a request of my guests.)
  • Options
    I know this isn't my thread, but now I'm honestly asking, why is it ok for some events to be black tie and not to request a dress code for others? I saw a few weddings on TLC shows and brides requested certain attire. Do you think they were rude or is it ok in some cases? (Note: this is just my curiosity. I'm not making such a request of my guests.)
    Yes, I think it is rude to request certain attire if you are not having a true black tie affair or if your venue does not have a specific dress code.

Just because you may want a certain look to your wedding (like all your guests in purple) it is rude to request it.  These are your guests not your props so you should treat them with respect and that means trusting them to dress appropriately without you giving them input.

• Options
    I know this isn't my thread, but now I'm honestly asking, why is it ok for some events to be black tie and not to request a dress code for others? I saw a few weddings on TLC shows and brides requested certain attire. Do you think they were rude or is it ok in some cases? (Note: this is just my curiosity. I'm not making such a request of my guests.)
    TLC bridal shows are trainwrecks and typically the epitome of what not to do.

Again, the only time it is ok to list attire requirements on your invitations or wedding website is if the venue has a dress code- like country clubs requiring men to wear jackets, or if your wedding is truly black tie.

A black tie event is more than just a fancy, formal event.  At black tie events guests are required to wear ballgowns and tuxes/suits, and it has very specific criteria that must be met, which are:
    • Event begins after 6pm
    • High end, indoor venue
    • Valet service provided by the Bride and Groom
    • Gloved service
    • Hand passed hor d'ourves
    • Top shelf open bar with full wine list and preferably with a sommelier on site to assist with wine choices.
    • Multi course gourmet level plated meal- generally 5 to 7 courses, and preferably with dual entrees or tableside ordering
    • Real china, silver ware, glassware, linens, etc
    • Multi piece live band and and a DJ or secondary performers for when the main entertainment takes breaks
    • High end decor and custom lighting

If your wedding does not meet all of those minimum requirements, then it is not a black tie event and you may not put black tie on your invitations/wedding website.

• Options
    Under no circumstance is it ok to mention guest attire, and you cannot spin it in any way to make it ok. Period. 
  • Options
    Don't worry!  Black is classy ;)

In fact all of my bridesmaids and my groomsmen are in black.  If done correctly and in the right fabrics it looks amazing!
  • Options
    I hope your Fi is going to wear a tux like the ones from Dumb and Dumber.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
       So, why did you ask us, if you were just going to do what you wanted anyway?

As far as no black at weddings, I remember that being a thing when I was a child. Now no one but my FMIL cares. My FMIL is a wonderful person and we get along great, but she prefers people to be in colors. They always come to us for Christmas and she has often commented on how people in our area dress so drab for Christmas and bemoans the lack of Christmas themed shirts on people out shopping. 

I suspect she will feel the same for our wedding, although she won't say anything to anyone, but I know she'll be thinking it! This won't apply to men in formal wear, only the ladies. I don't want to make her sound terrible, she's not, but she does like people dressed in bright colors, LOL. So far I haven't noticed anything else she's picky about so I have some red shirts I pull out for Christmas when shes here and wear them happily.
  • Options

The shows on TLC aren't worried about whether or not you are being rude to your guests, and it's for a TV show. So,whatever they can do to make it more TV flashy, they will do, even when it's against etiquette. 

The same way they encourage brides to have a pretty princess day re-do if they didn't get the first wedding they "deserved".  It's tacky, and rude.  But, they make money off of it, so what do they care?

The ONLY time it's appropriate to tell someone what to wear, is when there is an OFFICIAL dress code for the venue (i.e. covered shoulders for church, or a jacket for men in a country club, etc.), or you are having a truly black tie event, which includes bells and whistles that were mentioned above as well as some other elements.  A black tie event goes much further than a "formal" event. Think, State Dinner where you are serving the President. 

• Options
    I've actually read in several wedding attire books that classically, wearing black to a wedding means that you disapprove of the marriage. Obviously many people wear black to wedding who do not feel this way so I am unsure if the rule still applies, but I do understand what you're getting at.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards