Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Yay or nay... unity ceremony

Instead of the whole unity candle/sand ceremony I want to make our own water globe with a picture of us in it and each add a different color glitter to the water and close it up... purple, silver, and our son add some too. Then we can keep it forever!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Yay or nay... unity ceremony

• And on the base ingrave it or something with our names and date. Thoughts?

Kinda like this, but I like more glitter!

http://www.snowglobecentral.com/snow-globe-central-blog-photos/image/wedding-globes.JPG
  • And on the base ingrave it or something with our names and date. Thoughts?

Kinda like this, but I like more glitter!

http://www.snowglobecentral.com/snow-globe-central-blog-photos/image/wedding-globes.JPG
  • Sounds cute!

Anniversary
  • Oh, a snow-globe.  That's cute. 
  • edited January 2014
    I think this craft needs to be done at home. It sounds like it could get messy. Glitter always gets everywhere whenever you try to do anything with it.

ETA: Plus, how are you going to put a wedding picture in it at your wedding???
  • I wouldn't put the picture in until afterwards. Or no picture at all. They are really easy to do and wouldn't invoke us touching the glitter, just the container. It's different :)
  • Very cute! Although glitter always seems to get everywhere even if you don't touch it. They multiply! Lol
  • I feel like watching you do this would just seem anticlimactic. It's not as visually appealing as something larger like sand or light or whatever.

So really you just have to decide what's important for you. Is the meaning/end physical product more important or is having your guests be visually more included (as there's something more to see) important or is something else entirely more important?
  • chibiyui said:
    Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies. Still fun though. :)
    My friends and I say this aaaaaaaaaaall the time. Glitter - it's the gift that keeps on giving. lol
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I feel like watching you do this would just seem anticlimactic. It's not as visually appealing as something larger like sand or light or whatever. So really you just have to decide what's important for you. Is the meaning/end physical product more important or is having your guests be visually more included (as there's something more to see) important or is something else entirely more important?

This.  If this is going on at your wedding, I wouldn't see why it's necessary to "unite" you as a couple more than the main ceremony already does.
  • Personally, I prefer the traditional unity candle - if anything at all.  I don't think the "unity ceremony" is necessary, that's exactly what a wedding ceremony is.

I think glitter could be very messy, and I have a hard time imagining how that would be sealed in a permanent manner without also being potentially messy and having the adhesive drip and later be showing all over the globe.

Also, (sorry, I have a lot of opinions) I generally don't love children participating in weddings.  The commitment is between you and your FI - your son will be your son forever without making a commitment.  I think doing something special for him either right before or shortly after the wedding (a gift, a fun trip or outing, etc) would mean more to him and be age-appropriate.
  • edited January 2014
    I was going to do a planting ceremony.  I was going to get a magnolia bush (in memory of my Grandmother who lived in Louisiana).  My fi and I were going to take a little soil from each of our family's yards and add it to the soil in the pot. Won't pack it down though, as that would be messy. So it's a way to honor my grandmother and bring our family together. Someday when we get a new house, we will plant it at our new home.
  • vt&dt said:
    Personally, I prefer the traditional unity candle - if anything at all.  I don't think the "unity ceremony" is necessary, that's exactly what a wedding ceremony is.

I think glitter could be very messy, and I have a hard time imagining how that would be sealed in a permanent manner without also being potentially messy and having the adhesive drip and later be showing all over the globe.

Also, (sorry, I have a lot of opinions) I generally don't love children participating in weddings.  The commitment is between you and your FI - your son will be your son forever without making a commitment.  I think doing something special for him either right before or shortly after the wedding (a gift, a fun trip or outing, etc) would mean more to him and be age-appropriate.
    This.  Nor should the child of a previous relationship, who has no control over your marriage, be expected to "make a commitment" to your FI.  If you and your FI divorce one day, does that mean that your child is expected to divorce him/her as well?  Even if not, the only two people in a marriage who should make vows to each other are the spouses-nobody else.
  • I see what you are saying, but our son is ours together.
  • Even so, he should not be saying anything or have anything said to him in someone else's wedding ceremony, even if the couple are his parents.
  • I love the idea!! It's fun and unique and I'd rather keep that forever than a jar of sand! As long as you're pouring the glitter from the tube I don't see it being a big problem. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards