Wedding Etiquette Forum

Different meals for wedding party

2»

Re: Different meals for wedding party

• phira said:
    Agree with previous posters. I don't think it's a terrible idea to select food for your wedding that both you and your fiance like. We're only picking food options that both of us enjoy, even though we're going to have meat (either beef or chicken), fish, and a vegan entree. It just means we're going to try everything and make sure we like it.

So that's another way to think about it--serve your guests food that you think is yummy.

(WARNING: Obviously, you also want to make sure that your guests will enjoy your food, too. If you think that fish is yummy, and that's the only entree you have, that's not too fair to guests who don't eat fish. This is actually why we're having a split entree: my partner eats fish but not beef/poultry, so we want a fish entree, but there are a LOT of people in his family who can't stand fish.)
    SO.MUCH.THIS. I have been to several weddings where the choices were salmon or lamb, neither of which I eat. I am not a super-picky eater, and I would never tell a bride/groom that their food sucked, but please have food options that run the gamut for people who may not like what you like.

DH and I had chicken, beef, and a vegetarian option at our wedding. The chicken was stuffed chicken breasts and the beef was sirloin tips in a red-wine demi-glaze. Those are both foods we like, but that we felt had a broad appeal. (We also had a vegetarian option, as well as a mix of side dishes).
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I agree with PP, I wouldn't even think about serving something to my guests that was "lower" quality than what my fiance and I were eating. Just remember you're hosting the reception for them to celebrate with you. They are your guests. I assume you would never invite someone to your house and eat a nice juicy steak in front of them while serving them a dried out T.V. dinner.

Also, from a foodie home chef, sirloin prepped and cooked correctly can be just as tender as a filet....and honestly cuts with higher fat contents (marbling) tend to be more flavorful, so you're missing out by not giving them a shot!

• I agree with PP, I wouldn't even think about serving something to my guests that was "lower" quality than what my fiance and I were eating. Just remember you're hosting the reception for them to celebrate with you. They are your guests. I assume you would never invite someone to your house and eat a nice juicy steak in front of them while serving them a dried out T.V. dinner.

Also, from a foodie home chef, sirloin prepped and cooked correctly can be just as tender as a filet....and honestly cuts with higher fat contents (marbling) tend to be more flavorful, so you're missing out by not giving them a shot!

Agreed. If anything, the host should eat the TV dinner and let the guests enjoy the steak!
  • @prettygirllost @jennja22 sorry I dont have facebook or instagram so asking for invites online are not valid. Lol
    You will just have to find a different way to get one :P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • definitely NOT acceptable
  • I'm not saying its acceptable. But would anyone actually notice that her steak is a different cut? I would see a piece of brown meat on her plate and assume that its is the same as I got. I also wouldn't be paying that much attention to what the bride and groom are eating. Now them having steak and lobster and serving everyone bad chicken is totally wrong. I would not serve the whole wedding party the filet, just the bride.
  • I had many people come up to me while we ate, so yeah I think people could notice.    We also sat in the middle of the room around other tables so the next table could have easily noticed.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm not saying its acceptable. But would anyone actually notice that her steak is a different cut? I would see a piece of brown meat on her plate and assume that its is the same as I got. I also wouldn't be paying that much attention to what the bride and groom are eating. Now them having steak and lobster and serving everyone bad chicken is totally wrong. I would not serve the whole wedding party the filet, just the bride.
    People do notice. It's not a good idea to assume that they won't. And whether or not they do, I think that one should just try to avoid even the appearances of differences between what wedding party members and other guests are served.
  • lyndausvi said:
    I had many people come up to me while we ate, so yeah I think people could notice.    We also sat in the middle of the room around other tables so the next table could have easily noticed.

Jen4948 said:
    I'm not saying its acceptable. But would anyone actually notice that her steak is a different cut? I would see a piece of brown meat on her plate and assume that its is the same as I got. I also wouldn't be paying that much attention to what the bride and groom are eating. Now them having steak and lobster and serving everyone bad chicken is totally wrong. I would not serve the whole wedding party the filet, just the bride.
    People do notice. It's not a good idea to assume that they won't. And whether or not they do, I think that one should just try to avoid even the appearances of differences between what wedding party members and other guests are served.
    So much this! In general, you may think you are fooling people with X Y or Z in life, but it's still deceitful and lying to your guests. Lies have an ugly way of revealing themselves. True some guests may not care or even notice, they may even think it's acceptable since bridal party and Bride and Groom are in the wedding party and somehow get magical privileges, but to most people they will notice and they will feel cheated out of the special bride and groom nom noms.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards