Attire & Accessories Forum

How do you know it's "the one"?

So I've never been one to do anything and think "this is IT!" I've found three (pretty different) dresses that I LOVE, but I have no clue how to make a decision. :/

I'm going to take my mom in person in Feb, but I don't want to just have her pick one of the three and go with that (her opinion is important, don't get me wrong, and I'd be happy with ANY of my choices).

I dunno. Am I missing something? How did you know that your dress was "the one"?

Re: How do you know it's "the one"?

• I didn't want to take it off. The others I tried on I was like "yea, it's pretty, can I have the next one now?" But once I put on that one I just stood there staring at it waltzing back and forth and not wanting to get out of it. Literally I was like can I just buy this exact one and get married tomorrow?! I had absolutely no desire to try on others or look at others. Then I came home and looked at the ones I had pinned and all I could think was "mine is SO much better than all of these!!" So I deleted them and called to make the full payment lol. 

• What do you want to look like on your wedding day?  What sort of venue is it?  Have you been 'jacked up' in any of the dresses?  
  • I went to two places- I had a few I *really* liked at the first one, but nixed a lot because I felt like I was playing dress up; it was that feeling of, "Wow, this is an incredibly beautiful dress that I'm wearing" rather than being a bride.. If that makes sense.  Toward the end of my appointment, I went back and tried on my 2 top choices, one which I started to tear up when I put on (Dress A)- I finally felt like a bride- and another that I liked, and felt very pretty and bridal in, but it was also one of the favorites of everyone else (Dress B)

I chose Dress A over Dress B because:
    a) It was more comfortable
    b) It was less expensive
    c) It was more of a classic style, and it fit really well with my venue/ style

At the second store, I found some that were really flattering, but they didn't make me feel like a bride.  I did find one that could be a contender, however, I couldn't get over how itchy the fabric was, although it looked beautiful on.  On top of that, I kept thinking about the first dress.

We ended up going back to the 1st bridal shop so that I could try on Dress A.  I loved how I felt and looked in it, and I didn't think that I was going to top it.

If you're between 3 dresses, I would consider the following:
    a) What is most comfortable?
    b) What do you see at your venue?
    c) What makes you feel the best?

Sorry if this was long winded, but I hope that it was some help!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I knew mine was the one b/c when I put it on, I didn't want to take it off. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • i knew mine was the one when i went to look at 2 more designers elsewhere i kept thinking about my morilee julietta and i kept asking this salon to bring me dresses with lace and taffeta with pick ups the only dress they had with pick ups was a heavy satin dress with way to much bling
  • If you're between 3 dresses, I would consider the following:

a) What is most comfortable?
    b) What do you see at your venue?
    c) What makes you feel the best?

Sorry if this was long winded, but I hope that it was some help!

They are all very much the same, all fit the venue, all fit my ideas, and I want to wear them all every day. Lol.

I think I'll just have to keep trying them on and see which ones stick.
  • I had five dresses I liked. I kept thinking about "the one"
  • @ Jennycolada- 

If they're all the same:

a) look at pictures of them, are there any minor details that bother you?
    b) Try them on again to see if you feel any differently
    c) Difference in price-  if they all feel the same, save some $$, or put it toward a great veil/headpiece/etc.

I kind of went in with the Highlander attitude (There can only be one!), so after each dress I would say, "this one is now the top contender" or "X dress is still my favorite".  That helped me to kind of just slow down and realize that I had found a dress that I loved, all of the other dresses looked beautiful, but just didn't trump that one dress.

I didn't expect much to look good on me, so I had to detach myself from, "Wow! I look awesome!" and focus on, "Do I want to wear this ALL DAY?".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugggggh.

So dress 1 is, I think, the most "classically pretty". It's generally tied for everyone else's first choice. It fits the "best" (I'm a size 2 and all the dresses are 6-10, so it's hard to gauge). It has a now that I'm. Not fond of. It comes in a blush color that is fantastic.
    Dress 2 has black details and I LOVE that it's a bit non-traditional. It's the pouffiest and makes me feel like a princess, but it seems the least figure-flattering. Plus it's the heaviest (the pouf), and it may get annoying through the day. I'm also a bit afraid that it will never be non-poufy-enough for what I'm aiming for.
    Dress 3 is what I kind of imagined my dress as, and has an amazing back detail that the others don't. It's the only one that's non-corset back (a perk for comfort, but less chest support isn't as nice).

I think Dress 2 is my favorite, but it has many more downsides than the other two, which is why I'm very torn.
  • You could possibly take out some of the pouf, have the associate show you what that would look like?

Also, with dress 3, the can usually sew cups in, so you'll be plenty secure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • She bunched up the pouf, but it was hard to get a really accurate idea without actually cutting out tulle. I think it will be fine though.
  • I ended up with 2 that I really liked among the 5 that I tried on. The consultant that was helping me asked if I felt like a bride in both. And that was like BAM! I felt like one wasn't really that bridal because of the material even thought it was sooooo stunning. The other one is beautiful and makes me think and feel like a bride. Maybe thinnking about that would help? I don't know what your dresses are like so that's the only thing I can think of.
  • I had 3 dresses that I loved. Everyone and their mother loved dress 1, dress 2 was very figure flattering, but didn't suit my venue as much. Dress 3 I loved, but it was not what everyone else loved. I left the store and thought about it. Went back and tried all three and a few more. I kept thinking of dress 3, so I put it on again. Asked for a veil and necklace and bam...tears. I knew then.
  • for me, it was simple..when I put it on I could envision FI as I walked down the aisle.  I could see him tearing up and I said 'Uh oh...I think I'm in trouble!'
  • I loved 2 dresses but I loved mine more.  I just didn't want to take it off.  it was the first one i walked out in saying "i love this" .  i tried one more after and it was very similar...both lace, sweetheart neck line, fit and flare.   i put the first one back on and knew it was the one.  

• Mine called to me from the rack! I saw it hanging there and just had to try it on. It was NOTHING like what I thought I wanted but once I put it on, I was sold. I felt like prancing around. There was no question. I didn't try anything else on after that.
  • The first one they showed me that was very similar to th one I saw online was the one!  They showed me another one and when I put it on I didn't even want to walk out because it just couldn't compare to the first one.  I didn't even care to look at any other dress anywhere else, I am in love with my dress!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Are you ready to stop looking?  If it really is between these 3 dresses - start by narrowing it down to 2.  Which one would you be saddest to walk away from?

I've found 2 dresses that I like - maybe even lean more towards love.  But I have issues with both of them - one I want more poof and the other one I think does 'bad' things for my bum.  The other issue I've had is after seeing LOTS of girls in the dress, I don't know that either one makes me feel all that special.

Anniversary
  • Sound s like number two might be the best. Do you have pictures of yourself in the dresses? I have not picked a dress yet but I found looking at pictures the next day and comparing them was helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards