Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Need your help for dinner options please!

Hey ladies, so there is a new option I am wondering on your opinions. Our ceremony starts at 5pm (then it is about a 20 minute drive to the reception venue). Originally, we were going to do:

1. Cocktail hour with 4 passed hor d'oerves and maybe a trio dip station on display (warm queso dip, salsa, hot spinach and artichoke dip) with chips, pita chips, bread cubes, etc.) with beer/wine (we are only doing beer/wine). Then a plated meal (a beef and chicken choice).

Since then, I have noticed the heavy hor d'oerves in a buffet style with a carving station. Here is what I'm thinking. Coctail hour with beer/wine and couple passed hor d'oerves. Then for dinner a heavy hor d'oerves display (set up like a buffet) with like a vegetable display, tempura chicken, spanikopita, kabobs, grilled vegetable flatbread, the chip dip station, and a meat carving station (like pork loin), and a salad bar.

My question is, instead of the plated meal of a meat, startch, and vegetable, would you find it different to have heavy hor d'oerves with your main course and a side salad? Either way would be plenty of food and drinks. The 2nd option is less traditional, but I love the hor d'oerve choices over the traditional startch/veggie. What do you ladies think?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need your help for dinner options please!

• Honestly, I typically prefer plated meals, especially if back to back with a cocktail hour. This is really just a preference, though. However, if you do a plated meal, will you have a vegetarian option? If not, the heavy hors d'oeuvres and side salad might be more accommodating to your guests with dietary restrictions. Also, if you choose the second option, will people just select their food, buffet style, and be seated? How will you indicate the transition from cocktails to dinner?
  • Thanks for your input @crackktheskyy !! Our cocktail hour will be in a separate space than our reception area. We're looking at 80 guests, and the one that is a vegetarian doesn't do fish either. So we included the salad. We could add a couple more vegetarian friendly apps, and yes buffet style with the heavy hor d'oeuvres and the carving station. Or we can do a pasta station instead of the salad bar? Although I like pasta with my salad.
  • Personally like the option for heavy hor d'oeuvres. 
  • I just feel it gives more options than the one starch and veggie and a salad option. Either way would be lots of food. I just don't want it to seem our of place. If that makes sense?
  • I like the heavy hor d'oeurves idea better.  That kind of what we did and it worked really nicely.  I think it's more sociable and provides better options.
  • Gina0887 said:
    I just feel it gives more options than the one starch and veggie and a salad option. Either way would be lots of food. I just don't want it to seem our of place. If that makes sense?
    These are some of the reasons we went with a buffet meal rather than a plated meal.  I think your ideas sound good, although I would still have the station during cocktail hour in addition to the passed apps.  
  • I personally prefer buffets. I get to pick and choose what I like as opposed to a plated meal with set sides and stuff.
  • I agree, I love buffets. I hate when they put a plate in front of me that's like chicken with mushroom sauce, green beans, and rice....I like none of these items!! Sorry if I sound like a picky bitch but I just prefer to go up to a buffet and think "sweet I hate most of this but I can load up on mashed potatoes and kabobs!" 
    So I don't think your options are weird at all. 

• Thank you all so much for your help!!
  • personal i am not a fan of buffets at a wedding, i feel like it can be super confusing if you have a buffet people waiting in line for a long time food getting cold,  id rather have a sit down knowing everyone will be getting food at the same time and not waiting

i do like the ideas of stations but only during cocktail hour like a mashed potato bar or mini sliders
  • personal i am not a fan of buffets at a wedding, i feel like it can be super confusing if you have a buffet people waiting in line for a long time food getting cold,  id rather have a sit down knowing everyone will be getting food at the same time and not waiting

i do like the ideas of stations but only during cocktail hour like a mashed potato bar or mini sliders
    The bolded is really a function of whether the caterer sets it up well or not.  If you have multiple buffets set up and servers frequently refilling trays, people should not have to wait long and food should be the appropriate temperature.  Plated meals can be messed up, too, if the catering staff takes too long to put out all the food.  I've also had it happen many times where everyone at my table could have finished their meals before my vegetarian meal is served.  

The bolded is really a function of whether the caterer sets it up well or not.  If you have multiple buffets set up and servers frequently refilling trays, people should not have to wait long and food should be the appropriate temperature.  Plated meals can be messed up, too, if the catering staff takes too long to put out all the food.  I've also had it happen many times where everyone at my table could have finished their meals before my vegetarian meal is served.  
    Yes!  I've had plated meals that came out cold and/or took a very long time to come out.  It's really just a matter of having a good caterer who can handle logistics well.  
  • I love buffets and I love single serve items!

So really, I love everything about this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards