Snarky Brides

I hate the word "princess"

I hate watching Say Yes or 4 Weddings and the girls are taking about how they want to look like a princess or they want a princess wedding. Sorry this isn't a Disney movie, grow up lol

I especially hate when people call babies that. My sister in law is expecting in a few weeks and she keeps saying on facebook that she can't wait for the princess to arrive. I just want to be like you're not giving birth to a Kate Middleton so shut the hell up. (probably doesn't help that I don't like my SIL so anything she says I find annoying hahahah) 

Re: I hate the word "princess"

• I've never understood the whole "wanting to look like a princess". When I hear that the image that pops into mind is Cinderella's big blue ballgown or Belle's big yellow ballgown. They are beautiful but I'm like you want to be in a birdcage like ballgown? Okay.

I mean sure I grew up with Disney so yeah I had those thoughts of wanting to be a "princess" but once I grew up I started thinking that I want to look beautiful on my wedding day. Not a princess. >.>

I don't have cable so I can't really get annoyed but if they were saying it in every episode, yeah I can see myself getting annoyed.

I find it cute and endearing when fathers call their little girls (young ages) Princess but other than that....calling a grown woman that just makes me assume she's stuck up/privvy/or bitchy eh that's just me though.

@the SIL comment. xD Yeah that's just bias of you haha no worries though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I call one of my cats "princess" on occasion when she's being particularly whiney/attention whorish.

Both kitties have affectionate "Princess" nicknames: Princess Fat@$$ is our 14.5 lb chubber cuddle bug. Princess Dip$h!t is the whiney one, who has been known to strain a paw, hobble around, and then jump up on high furniture (like the futon or barstools) and cry when she gets herself back down. She's also a con artist, and will fake the injury so as to prolong her extra attention.

• My uncle has always called me Princess. Idk why. I think it started in an ironic way because I was a bit of a tomboy and it just stuck. Y
  • JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    Artemischief said: I agree. When I watch SYTTD(not so guilty pleasure) and the girls want a princess ball gown my first thought is when have you ever seen Duchess Catherine or Princess Diana in a dress like that? I wanted to look like a real princess I guess-elegant and sophisticated. As much as I loved the Disney princesses growing up, they are bad for little girls, we don't need a prince to save us, we need to be more like Merida from Brave. What an awesome point!  A real princess doesn't need a huge ballgown.

I also hate the "princess" comments.  I want to look dramatic and romantic and fashion-forward and AWESOME, but I have no desire to look like a princess.  The "princess" thing just screams Disney to me: sort of childish and AWish.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I've seen dad's that refer to their little girls as daddy's little princesses for far too long. This often times, not always but usually, leads into the mentality of - "Oh well, I'm daddy's little princess and he'll do everything in life for me and I'll never have to work." Ugh.
  • Fi calls me "princess" and I love it.

I've never been called princess otherwise (at least, I a non-ironic manner) and have 0 desire to pretend that I am one.
  • There's nothing wrong with hug ballgowns, though.  I love some of the huge wedding gowns, they are gorgeous!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• InkdancerInkdancer member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    CLI242009 said:
    I've never understood the whole "wanting to look like a princess". When I hear that the image that pops into mind is Cinderella's big blue ballgown or Belle's big yellow ballgown. They are beautiful but I'm like you want to be in a birdcage like ballgown? Okay.

I mean sure I grew up with Disney so yeah I had those thoughts of wanting to be a "princess" but once I grew up I started thinking that I want to look beautiful on my wedding day. Not a princess. >.>

I don't have cable so I can't really get annoyed but if they were saying it in every episode, yeah I can see myself getting annoyed.

I find it cute and endearing when fathers call their little girls (young ages) Princess but other than that....calling a grown woman that just makes me assume she's stuck up/privvy/or bitchy eh that's just me though.

I actually did tell my consultant that I wanted to look like Belle when shopping for my gown... and ended up with a corset-top ballgown with a huge skirt. I love it! But I also understand the distaste for it. I'm definitely not asking everyone to bow to me on my wedding day.

ETA: I wanted a huge ballgown because I have big boobs and no hips, so I needed something poofy on the bottom to balance my figure.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Everyone that I know who calls a grown woman princess is using it in a derogatory manner so that's definitely not what I would want to be on my wedding day. 
  • My ex bf used to call me princess. I didnt mind it. I also love disney movies. However I will NOT look like a princess on my wedding. No tiara, no big bal gown. I want to lool like a bride and a wife not a cupcake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • My ex bf used to call me princess. I didnt mind it. I also love disney movies. However I will NOT look like a princess on my wedding. No tiara, no big bal gown. I want to lool like a bride and a wife not a cupcake.
    This made me laugh out loud. I know exactly what you mean... the dresses so big the bride looks like one of those Barbie cakes!
    eyeroll
  • I'm not into it either, coming from the Disney perspective that women's ultimate goal in life is finding a Prince Charming. Plus, on TV, the "princesses" always seem to be in a state of delayed adolescence. Ick.

Did anyone see the SYTTD where the older bride channeled Princess Diana? ....It was a tad scary.

• I can't believe no one has mentioned My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding! I know their culture is a bit different, but come on, when have you ever seen a princess in a gown so wide she couldn't fit through a door or down the aisle, let alone a gown that requires being shoved head first into a car!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Two pretty pretty princesses!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Two pretty pretty princesses!
    Did they hide the bridesmaids under there?!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I'm not a princess. Why the hell would I want to look like one on my wedding day? 

Whether or not ladies are going for the princess look, I just don't understand the tiara thing. I mean, it is a crown. They come in happy meals at Burger King, for crying out loud. 

• @ElcaB I'm wearing a little tiara to hold my veil in place. Same as a headband basically, but a slightly different shape.

Of course, I teach ballet to preschoolers, so I wear tiaras a lot. Seemed nice to finally get one that wasn't made of pipe cleaners!
    eyeroll
  • ElcaB said:
    I'm not a princess. Why the hell would I want to look like one on my wedding day? 

Whether or not ladies are going for the princess look, I just don't understand the tiara thing. I mean, it is a crown. They come in happy meals at Burger King, for crying out loud. 

Oooo do they still give those out? I want to get one and send it to my sister who is planning her wedding and acting as if she were a princess. Thank god I don't live in the same state as her.
  • I agree...I had the princess dress and fairytale for my first wedding at 19 and well that marriage didn't last and neither did the fairytale, this time I don' t want any princess talk unless its by the flowergirls!
  • My FI calls me princess and it's one of my favorite nicknames.
  • Am I the only one who thinks Medieval/ Renaissance royalty when I hear the word princess? My thought is then, why the heck would you want to be a princess? Their lives were generally awful.
  • Am I the only one who thinks Medieval/ Renaissance royalty when I hear the word princess? My thought is then, why the heck would you want to be a princess? Their lives were generally awful.

I think the alternative phrase at that time was "expensive baby maker property"
  • when I think of myself as a "princess" on my wedding day, I just think of it as regal, beautiful, and glamorous... not necessarily the cliche ballgown, tiara, and elbow length gloves. My grandma has also always called me that since I was a baby so it has different sentiment to me. 

but I do think there are adults out there that take the "princess" thing a little too far... where it becomes "nasty spoiled brat."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I call my cat Maggie 'Princess' as a term of endearment.  
  • CLI242009 said:
    I've never understood the whole "wanting to look like a princess". When I hear that the image that pops into mind is Cinderella's big blue ballgown or Belle's big yellow ballgown. They are beautiful but I'm like you want to be in a birdcage like ballgown? Okay.

I actually did tell my consultant that I wanted to look like Belle when shopping for my gown... and ended up with a corset-top ballgown with a huge skirt. I love it! But I also understand the distaste for it. I'm definitely not asking everyone to bow to me on my wedding day.

ETA: I wanted a huge ballgown because I have big boobs and no hips, so I needed something poofy on the bottom to balance my figure.

*stuck in the box*

Oh no I don't mind the white ballgown wedding dresses I mean the girls that go and LITERALLY find Belle, Cinderella's, etc. dress but white for a wedding, instead of their iconic yellow and blue.

Those are the ones I can't stand. I have seen some beautiful ballgowns for wedding dresses and I have nothing against them. Hell that was my dream type wedding dress until I realized I'm too small and the dress itself was half my weight and I couldn't move an inch when wearing one haha.

I have seen the Disney Princess Wedding dresses, basically their dresses just white and that annoys me for some odd reason.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hahaha I love this thread!

I definitely think a lot of women who are referred to or refer to themselves as "princess" are typically stuck in some adolescent mindset. That being said if you want a gorgeous ballgown as your wedding dress more power to you because let's face it - how many opportunities do you have in life to wear a full-on ball gown?

When I think real life princesses I think Grace Kelly, Princess Diana, & Kate Middleton - elegant, classy and refined... All things that I'd like to be everyday but especially on my wedding day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards