Just Engaged and Proposals

When Is It Too Close for Comfort?

MichelleS28MichelleS28 member
First Comment
edited January 2014 in Just Engaged and Proposals
Thank you for all your help!

Re: When Is It Too Close for Comfort?

• Why are you having two receptions?
  • Just because you want 2 receptions (which I always side eye), this guy should have to choose a later date?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Three weeks is plenty of time

Anniversary
  • Thank you all for your advice. That's why I needed to ask first. I know a lot of people don't look highly on a second reception, but I had planned it not considering my family with certain jobs.
  • Thank you all for your advice. That's why I needed to ask first. I know a lot of people don't look highly on a second reception, but I had planned it not considering my family with certain jobs.

What? So you planned a second reception since some people cant make your real one? Are you going to reenact the cake cutting and first dances also?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, you are out of line.  Like others said, you get one day. 

Similar to you, I've been engaged over a year.  My sister got engaged last week and is planning her wedding for 5 weeks after mine.  Due to family scattered across country, we decided to do destination wedding in middle of the country.  His family is mostly on west coast, mine is on east coast.  No matter where we did it, people would have to travel.  So, instead of choosing sides, we went in the middle... knowing many people still wouldn't be able to attend.  We have only about 30 people attending, even though we invited 80... and that was just family, no friends. So, we had planned to do "at-home receptions" on both ends of the country after the wedding.  They were going to be low-key BBQ cookouts, no cake, no gifts, no wedding-y stuff.  Just a "Come meet the spouse, drink a beer, eat a burger" get together.  The date we were thinking for my family is 1 week before my sisters wedding date.  There is no way that people will be able to come to both, including FI and I coming cross country.  And I will have already had my big wedding day and don't want to ruin hers, so we are scrapping the AHR's. No big deal... nothing was set in stone anyway. We may still do the west coast one, where we live, for local friends that couldn't come, but we get to see those people regularly anyway so we may just scrap that one too. For east coast, I figure we will see everyone at my sisters wedding anyway, which was the whole point of doing the AHR.  My only worry is that I don't want people showing up to her wedding with gifts for us too or take away from her attention on her big day.  It will be the first time that a lot of my extended family will get to meet my FI (well by that time it will be husband). So, I'm sure that there will be some attention on me and some congratulations, but I will just do my best to keep the focus on her for her day... which shouldn't be too hard to do.

• effiek91effiek91 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    I just want to say that I think you had a concern, were asking if you should be concerned or if you should let it go, and some people responded a bit sharply to your question. Everyone has an opinion, no one knows all the details, but you shouldn't feel bad for asking a question that I felt you honestly just wanted a third opinion on.

That being said, I would feel sorry for out of town guests who had to travel twice in three weeks also. Would it stop me from planning my wedding, (whether I was the bride in the first wedding or the second) probably not. If they're super close they'll make it regardless, and if not then you probably won't be heartbroken they can't make it. But if you have relatives who aren't wealthy, they might have to choose that close together,  I know I would if I needed plane tickets etc! 

Second reception, there are different reasons for this, is it a full blown reception or more like you're throwing a celebration party after the wedding for those who couldn't attend the first one. I don't think having a celebration get together after the first reception is a bad idea at all, I might end up having to do an extremely small reception (as in just family no one else) because of money, and in a year or two throw a big bash on our anniversary. That being said, if you have a large amount of family coming to both the second reception and your sister's wedding, well they'll just have to have two awesome party-filled days back to back now wont' they! :-)
  • Why did you delete your post? It's considered very bad form to do that on a messageboard. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards