Attire & Accessories Forum

Help! Down to my last two dresses...

Hi there!
My wedding is this coming August and I'm going for a magical, dreamy feel with a modern vintage style. Think loose floral arrangements in footed mercury glass bowls with lots of greenery, white bouquets with touches of blush and dusty pink. It's going to be in Brooklyn, at 501 Union. I need help picking a dress, and I've narrowed it down to these two. I love both of them, but they are very different in terms of silhouettes (blouson sheath vs a-line) and embellishment (deco vs understated) -- Let me know what you think! Any help is appreciated :)

imageimage

Re: Help! Down to my last two dresses...

• Oh wow. They are both incredibly beautiful. I'm totally biased, but I think 2 might fit your theme a bit better.
  • I pick #2 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Both are lovely on you!

Two feels more bridal to me (in a good way, not in a fluffy tulle way, because I feel like that's not your style). One is beautiful, but looks a bit more like a killer Oscars gown. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We have similar taste in dresses! I love them both.  I really love #1, but I do agree with Jennycolada that the 2nd one might fit your theme best.  A difficult choice!

May I ask which dresses/designers these are?  I am going to be dress shopping soon, so I'm keeping an eye out for dresses I love!
  • Second one! Love it
  • Thanks! That's how I see it too, #2 is definitely a more traditional silhouette/look, #1 is simply stunning. Decisions, decisions!
  • The designers are 1- Jenny Packham and 2- Watters! JP is definitely more on the pricey side, if that factors in!
  • The second looks better on your figure, though both are lovely.
  • Go for number 2.  I think it looks so beautiful with your skin color, and gives you such a beautiful shape.  The second one is timeless,and actually looks like a whimsical dress.  The first dress has more of a serious feel to it, IMO.
  • Both are beautiful! I think the second one is more "bridal" (but not in an over the top way) and fits you a bit better.
  • Does the first one really fit that badly?image
  • The first one fits you beautifully, it just has a less fitted silouhette. I agree with PPs, they are both gorgeous, but #2 does fit better with your theme. All the better that it's cheaper!
  • Sorry, I think two is kind of matronly on the bottom.
  • I love #1 but #2 is more romantic which sounds like what you want.
  • I love #1 personally. I love the bling & style of it. It's unique
  • I don't think you look as comfortable in #1 as you do in #2 - so I pick the 2nd dress.

Anniversary
  • I never said #1 fit badly, just that 2 is the more flattering. The first one fits you exactly how it is intended to, which gives more of a column silhouette than an hourglass. It is a very 20s/art deco aesthetic, and while there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, I feel the second dress is more of a timeless look. If you love #1, go with it.

In fact, I often find that when I'm struggling between two things, and I flip a coin or get a second opinion, I discover that oh wait, I really did want the other one because eliminating it bothers me.
  • I love the uniqueness of #1, it's a gorgeous dress!
  • I think both look great on you but I am more drawn to dress #2 just because it seems a bit more bridal then dress #1 which looks like it could be a great oscar/golden globes dress.

• #2 looks absolutely gorgeous on you.
  • I think you look gorgeous in dress #2.  In dress #1, I feel like people would be looking at the dress and not you.
  • Ah, I thought it might be Jenny Packham.  It is a stunning dress.  And no, it does not fit badly.  Both are lovely.  I can see what everyone is saying though - I think dress #2 just has a more 'bridal' look to it and looks very nice on you.

I can tell you are still having a hard time.  Maybe make a list of pro/con for each dress.  Seems like you have some points already on this board - theme, fit, price, etc.  Or maybe deep down inside you know which dress is 'the one', in which case, go with your guts!
  • Both beautiful! I tried on that Packham gown and loved it (I was surprised how heavy it was compared to her others). It definitely has a more vintage feel, but I don't get the "dreamy" feel like I do with #2. As others have said, #2 has a more "bridal" feel, but I personally prefer #1 (likely biased since I went with a JP gown). Good luck - they are both lovely!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree that #2 is more bridal, but I think if you wear #1 you will get more of a "wow, that's stunning" reaction when you walk down the aisle, whereas with #2, you will get, "that's a very pretty dress."  So think about which feel you would prefer.  I think either would work very well with your venue/theme.
  • Does the first one really fit that badly?

I think you look great in both, i just personally like the 2nd better.  Either way you will be stunning.  I like the flowyness of the 2nd better. 
  • 100% the 1st one!! It is absolutely stunning. A beautiful vintage style look. So unique, and it definitely has the wow-factor that I feeling like #2 doesn't have.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards