May 2014 Weddings

Wedding Programs

So I didn't expect to do a program for the ceremony, but I purchased a super helpful book by The Knot about ceremonies.  In the book they had a sample program, and I though, I can do that on Word!!! :D  So it took me a few hours last night, but I did it!!!  I picked up purple paper to print it out on, and all it costs was about 3 hours of my time, and $9 for 500 sheets of paper! lol.  I still have to print them out, I'm just waiting to find one more song to fit in the ceremony and a poem that I can put the title in for the reading.  Other then that I'm ready to print them, and I figured out how to print them double sided with my printer, so that makes folding them way easier!! :D
I did look online with the company that is doing our invites to see what they charge for programs, and I swear they are more then our invites and response cards combined so not going that rout!! What are you ladies doing? or are you not doing one at all?
Anniversary

Re: Wedding Programs

• We're not doing programs. We've spent enough on our invites, and we're not having an overly traditional ceremony or anything too long and involved that would require a lot of explaining (ie: multiple readings, songs, etc.).

We also only have one attendant each, so it's not like we really need the program to introduce the wedding party. The only element people may not be familiar with is handfasting, but our pastor is going to briefly explain the history and symbology of it before we do it.

• I have a friend from church who has a small business that specializes in printing. I've seen her work before and it's really pretty, plus I'm always looking for a chance to help out "the little guys".

I was originally going to skip programs because I feel like people just throw them away, but then I realized that I'd rather have them, even if no one keeps theirs but me and my mom.  If you can DIY to save a good chunk of change, that's fantastic!

@pumpkinsandturkeys - what is handfasting? I'm intrigued!
  • @pumpkinsandturkeys I too am having a similar ceremony as you, minus the hand fasting, but it worked for me cause I realized we will have a lot more guests there.  For you I think it makes sense that you aren't doing one with having such a small group where I'm sure everyone pretty much knows everyone already.  I thought it might be nice for our guests to know who is who, even though we too only have one attendant each.  I also put our parents' names down and our ceremony looks long on paper, but I know it will be pretty short :)  That is also why I feel good about doing it myself cause like @ohxhi said, even if only me and the moms keep one it still is a nice thing I think. 
    Anniversary
  • I'm making our programs. I found an easy template on Pinterest for a cool layered program that is simple enough and has all the info we'll need to include.
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Not doing programs. Easy expense to cut, and I'm too lazy to DIY it.

Anniversary
  • I think I'm going to do a really simple, one sided program. We have a lot of out of towners/relatives I haven't met so they should be helpful.
  • I was originally going to do programs, but then I changed my mind. I am DIY'ing all my other stationary and I decided I didn't want to add another thing to the list.
  • @ohxhi Handfasting has Celtic and Gaelic origins and was a ritual/ceremony used in England to show that a couple was committing themselves to each other. It was a signifier of engagement, but was also legally binding, and in some regions/times, it took the place of a formal marriage ceremony with a priest, etc. In most places (ie: England pre-Middle Ages), it needed to be followed by a marriage ceremony in a church for the marriage to be valid, even though the handfasting was legal.

It kind of fell out of favour in a lot of places after the Middle Ages, but it still used in places such  as Ireland and Scotland, and is turning up more and more in North America. It's actually where we get the phrase "tying the knot", because during the ceremony, the officiant will have the couple hold hands and their hands are loosely wrapped in ribbons or fabric and then a knot is tied with the ends to show that they're binding themselves to each other.

We were originally going to just hold hands and do a reading our pastor did once for a handfasting, but we decided last night that we think doing the actual act of handfasting would be neat for our families to see, and we could keep the ribbons as a keepsake.

The reading our pastor is doing is as follows:

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever.
    These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future.
    These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other.
    These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind.
    These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow and tears of joy.
    These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children.
    These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one.
    And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

• right now I do not plan on doing them. I'm already making my own invitations and menu's so I don't know that I want another thing on the DIY to do list.  
  • @Kristen625 are you using regular paper or a special type of card stock? I'm also thinking about DIY-ing the programs, but I don't want them to look cheap or flimsy. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @klburke88 I looked at doing it on fancy paper, but fancy paper doesn't come cheap. So I just did it on regular purple paper. I figure no one will even remember if we have programs or not and I really doubt they will remember what kind of paper will be used. If we had fewer guests coming I would have probably used fancy paper but not for over 100 guests.
    Anniversary
  • @Kristen625 Yeah, I've looked at some template online and it seems pretty easy. I'll probably end up doing something similar on regular, colored paper. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Klburke88 If you're pretty proficient in word doc you might be better off without a template.  I didn't use a template because the one that word had available was kind of a pain to use.  I just changed it so the page was horizontal, and then put in two columns and went from there.  Now if you are thinking of doing it all on one page, and will be printing on front and back, it may take a bit to figure out where things should be so you can fold it in half and have it all read correctly.  With my printer, I had to have the back be the left column on the first page, the front of the program was on the right hand column.  Then I aligned everything up for the "second page" which really became the back of the program.  Hopefully that makes sense.  Definitely print out test pages so you'll know how it will all look. :)
    Anniversary
  • @pumpkinsandturkeys i LOVE that.  i'm pretty sure that's what they did in Braveheart, which would make sense if the tradition has Celtic/Gaelic origin.  thank you for educating me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards