Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Brother/Sister Dance.... Is it too much?

I'm considering after the Father/Daughter dance doing a Brother/Sister dance.  My younger brother is the world to me and has been my rock through out my life.  But it is too much or inappropriate to do, and is it possible that my Father may feel like the moment we've waited for since I was little is less important?  I wanted to get some feed back before I bring it up to family.  Thanks for your input!

Re: Brother/Sister Dance.... Is it too much?

• If you are going to do your first dance with your H, Father/ daughter, brother/ sister and H/ mother, then yes I think it is way too much. Wathcing first dances is really boring for your guests. Can you dance with your dad and then have yoru brother cut in?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited January 2014

I think it's a bit too much. You can still dance with your brother without making a big thing of it or having it a solo dance.  Everyone is just standing around bored if you do a lot of solo dances.

Neither FI nor I like to dance.  So, even for my father-daughter dance and we plan to have it solo for 20-30 seconds tops then have everyone join in.  Then FI plans to dance with his mom, but we aren't making it solo.  He will choose a specific song for it, and we will probably have the DJ announce it, but let everyone else join in right from the start. Maybe that will work for you.  Announce that its a special song, dedicated to your brother, and dance with him, but let everyone else dance too.

Edited for bad grammar & spelling 

• edited January 2014
    You should limit your spotlight dances to as few as possible- bride and groom's first dance, bride and father, groom and mother. I like the idea of having a song dedicated to your brother. Your photographer could get a picture of the two of you dancing, but leave the floor open to all your guests.

p.s. the comment that I posted before was intended for another thread. Sorry for the confusion.

• Open up the dance floor to all your guests, dance with your brother, and let your photographer know you want a few shots of it.
  • I think you need to limit your spotlight dances, because your guests are going to tune out if they have to watch too many dances in which they are not invited to participate.
    emmyg65 said:
    Open up the dance floor to all your guests, dance with your brother, and let your photographer know you want a few shots of it.
    I agree with this 100%.
  • I agree that you should limit spotlight dances.  It gets boring for the guests.  Have a song where you plan to dance with your brother and get some photos by all means, but do it while everyone is dancing to avoid the tedium of so many spotlight dances.

You could also include your brother as a bridesman or give him a roll in the ceremony to honor your relationship.  
  • emmyg65 said:
    Open up the dance floor to all your guests, dance with your brother, and let your photographer know you want a few shots of it.
    Bingo. When my brother and I danced together later in the evening, the photographer snapped a ton of photos. He did the same thing any time my SIL danced with her brother.
  • Thanks everybody!  I think that the song dedication is a perfect!  :)  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards