Snarky Brides

Everyone has an opinion.

And it seems to me that the ones that have an opinion are the people who I couldn't care less if they showed up!

My mom called my Aunt to get my cousin's addresses and she let her know that we weren't inviting children. I don't think that is unheard of, my sister did the same thing 5 years ago at her wedding. However, this was before my cousin's had children. My Aunt was horrified and asked if they could come if "they would be well behaved." That's not why I'm not inviting them, if I included all children the guest list would increase by 30, Aunt also said that I "don't have to feed everybody". Um.... So, if there is a star next to your name you can eat, but if not - so sorry!?!? Also, she complained that we're having the wedding on a Saturday night because one of my cousin's is a bartender. What am I expected to do, have my wedding on a Wednesday night? He doesn't have to come if he doesn't want to lose the money.

Another Aunt scolded my dad because I'm a grown up and he has no obligation to pay for my wedding. My parents generously offered to pay for our venue, catering and DJ. It was their decision, we accepted gratefully and that's that. I completely understand (as do they) that they don't have an obligation, but they want to help!

I guess it's true what they say, opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one.

Re: Everyone has an opinion.

• Sounds like your family needs to stop sharing wedding details with your Aunt. I would wait until your cousin RSVPs. If she adds her kids, address the issue then.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Seems like your Aunt just wants something to complain about...
  • My mom had a cousin who made comments that DH and I were rather old for my parents to be paying for the reception.

She paid for her middle daughter's wedding and I was married at the same age her daughter tied TK.

• banana468 said:
    My mom had a cousin who made comments that DH and I were rather old for my parents to be paying for the reception. She paid for her middle daughter's wedding and I was married at the same age her daughter tied TK.

Oh FFS that is so rude.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    My mom had a cousin who made comments that DH and I were rather old for my parents to be paying for the reception. She paid for her middle daughter's wedding and I was married at the same age her daughter tied TK.
    Well obviously her special snowflake princess was completely different from you. She deserved and you didn't. /eyeroll
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I am getting passive aggressive comments from my mom about how small my wedding venue is (um, that's why we're only inviting 85 people?)  She's pissy that she's not getting the big ballroom wedding she envisioned when I prioritized food and drink quality and wanted to do something different than the typical wedding.  I find that the most stressful thing about wedding planning is not the actual logistics of the event (that's fun!) but dealing with family issues/expectations.

I think we should have a spin-off thread, "Rudest comments you have received about your wedding."
  • @CrazyCatLady3 -- I'll play! 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • @CrazyCatLady3 - we invited 86. We are 26 days from the RSVP deadline, 14 from the room block expiration date. So far, 36 confirmed attendees, 4 room block reservations.

I should have a post for "rudest comments" after Sunday- FSMIL (about whom I've made several posts regarding her demands of inviting her sibs) has asked us down to dinner....shitstorm on the horizon!

• @CrazyCatLady3 - we invited 86. We are 26 days from the RSVP deadline, 14 from the room block expiration date. So far, 36 confirmed attendees, 4 room block reservations.

I should have a post for "rudest comments" after Sunday- FSMIL (about whom I've made several posts regarding her demands of inviting her sibs) has asked us down to dinner....shitstorm on the horizon!

@Chipmunk415 I presume you'd get most of your rsvps closer to the date, right?  Because of our smaller guest list which is already limited to close friends and family, we're expecting a high acceptance rate.  So I had to put my foot down to my mom who insisted on sending invites to extra people "just so they could see we were getting married" even though they "definitely won't come."
  • "So I had to put my foot down to my mom who insisted on sending invites to extra people "just so they could see we were getting married" even though they "definitely won't come.""

Um, isn't that what wedding announcements are for? 

• "So I had to put my foot down to my mom who insisted on sending invites to extra people "just so they could see we were getting married" even though they "definitely won't come.""

That was my exact response. :)
  • My step grandpa just suggested that our rehearsal dinner should be pizza and beer. Because that's what he wants to eat. He actually kept badgering us about it and asking what we were doing, and then he suggested that. I sort of half laughed and said we were still deciding and he says "No, I'm serious! It'll be great!"
    Meanwhile my fiance is speaking to me lowly saying that there is absolutely no freaking way we are having pizza and beer as our rehearsal dinner.

For some back story, this is the same man who threw a hissy fit at my families favorite pizza place, complained about the pizza the whole entire time because it "isn't roundtable pizza, they're better" and got upset because they didn't have all you can drink beer.
    He will agree to eat someplace with our family and then complain the whole time, make comments about what everyone orders and how he doesn't like that type of food. It's really embarrassing.

We're having alcohol at the wedding, so I mean, he can wait one freaking day to have a beer.

My step grandma has also already told my mom she isn't coming because she doesn't like weddings and doesn't feel like it. Okay fine. But it's a little hurtful since my grandpa is coming, and she could very easily get a ride with him, or my mom was offering to drive up there and get them.

I know the world does not revolve around our wedding either, but it's just kind of frustrating to have people trying to badger us into dinners that THEY want that are not even close to what anyone other than themselves would like to eat.

@Chipmunk415 I presume you'd get most of your rsvps closer to the date, right?  Because of our smaller guest list which is already limited to close friends and family, we're expecting a high acceptance rate.  So I had to put my foot down to my mom who insisted on sending invites to extra people "just so they could see we were getting married" even though they "definitely won't come."
    They are still trickling in. FI's grandparents just emailed us last night that they could come, but I still haven't received the RSVP- they are penciled in as attending, I just need their meal options. Two couples from my side have spoken with my mom (her "adopted" family- they adopted her in her late 20s and late 40s respectively) and said they would not be attending- they are penciled in as not attending for now.  Our guest list was family, a few friends from my mom and dad's side (they are paying), and FI's dad's best friend and wife, along with a few of our closest friends and their spouses/SOs. By my estimates, with the two of us included, we are looking at just under 50 people out of 86. Several of FI's side that we've heard from are simply unable to afford the trip- we've called them ourselves and told them we completely understood. Its ending up being the smallish, intimate wedding we want.

My MIL wants me to send invites to her cousins saying,"They probably can't make it anyways" when her family is the majority of the family we have invited! I have a lot of aunts and uncles I didn't invite because I had other friends and family I would like to be there for our small wedding, and she thinks she can invite her cousins she never sees. pfff NOT!  I dont know about you but as much as I want to spend an extra 50 bucks worth of invitations and postage for someone who "probably can't make it anyways"  I don't. And don't get me started on what would happen if they could magically make it.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards