Honeymoon Discussions

Greece

Where to even start??   We will be going on our honeymoon around the end of May or early June and I am pretty sure we want to go to Greece...but what island?  There are so many options!  Any recommendations of both the area and hotel?   I'd like to go for at least 7 nights (plus 2 days to travel there/back from New York).    If possible, I'd like to see at least 2 different areas.    I also am interested in spending a couple days in Turkey, but unsrue if that is reasonable with only a week vacation.  any advice or suggestions?

Re: Greece

• Is a cruise an option? 
    There are lots during summer time and depending on the ports you might get to see more than one Island.

I would recommend Santorini, Rhodes or Crete if it's your first time. The landscape around the Aegan sea is quite similar on both sides, so it might not be worth visiting both in such a short period of time. If your heart is set on Greece, go for it! The quality of service in Turkey is better than in Greece on average (or the price you pay for a comparable quality is lower in Turkey)... 
  • icecreamS04  - Yes, a cruise is an option - any cruise lines you recommend?   I"ve never been on a cruise (or out of the country, for that matter), and one concern is will it be too much on the go?  I don't want to have to get up early every morning, i def want time to relax, but want to take advantage of our time and be able to sight see - i know you have to be back on the boat at specific times?
  • If you don't want to get up early in the mornings, a cruise is probably not your best option since you only have 8am-5pm to see the place then you must board. I've been to Greece and let me tell you the nightlife and sunsets are the best part- so you'd really miss out on those if you had to be back on a cruise. I don't think it's really doable to see Turkey. I would suggest Athens for 2-3 days, take a 5 hour ferry or a 1 hour flight to Santorini. Stay for 2 days, then take a ferry to Mykonos for 2 days. I guarantee you will not be disappointed!!! 

• I've only been to Athens, and I had a very enjoyable time. A lot of the locals recommended Crete, there are some amazing beaches!
  • I've spent about 2 weeks on Samos-it's the island nearest to Turkey, and it's absolutely beautiful.  You won't run into a ton of tourists like you might on other islands (especially in late May).  I can recommend Doryssa-I haven't stayed there but we've used the facilities there during the day.  You can rent these beautiful little houses for privacy.  The entire island is beautiful, great food, friendly, and overall, you get a great feeling for Greece.

You can also ferry to Turkey for the day and see Ephesus.  With only a week vacation, it will be difficult for you to really do more than a day trip to Turkey (or two) so I'd try to minimize the amount of travel time between Greece and Turkey.
  • thanks, @freebead03, i'll check doryssa out!
  • I've only ever been to Tinos and Spetses, but that was with my Greek boyfriend at the time, staying in vacation houses owned by his family.  Spetses was really sweet, we rented bicycles & rode all over the island.  Probably not a luxury island for a foreigner, though.  It's where a lot of Greeks go to holiday.

• They have guides where you just stay at hotels when you arrive in a city. I would get them soon the summer especially in aug. is very busy. I really want to go to Greece too and I found a few:

http://www.unforgettablehoneymoons.com/Greece-Honeymoon-Packages_18.htmlon.

Whats nice about guided tours is you get to see all the sights and popular destinations.
  • I second Mykonos! We went on a cruise that went to Greece/Turkey and Mykonos was my favorite stop!
    Vacation
  • thanks everyone!  we have an appointment with a travel agent to try to figure it out!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards