Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Dollar Dances

I've been spending a lot of time on the community boards lately and I've noticed a lot of talk about dollar dances.  It's pretty much a regional thing, and as a Pittsburgher, I wanted to know how you ladies felt about them. I feel that I grew up with them.  The last two weddings I attended had dollar dances.  I don't find them rude at all.

Do you think they're as tacky as a cash bar or would you (or did you) have one at you wedding?

Re: Dollar Dances

• Personally, I think they're a little tacky, but not as bad as a cash bar.  Some venues have opinions about them too.  For instance, our venue, does not allow liquor to be dispensed during dollar dance.  Would check with your venue if you're considering one.   
  • jnissajnissa member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Oh my gosh - of all the regional things I'm keeping that's the one. I say no to cookie tables and black and gold decor, but that one's got such history. It's an old eastern european tradition that made its way here with the immigrants - and you'll still find it done in most eastern european countries. I actually consider it a way to pay tribute to my (Hungarian) heritage. So it may be about *why* you're doing it. My family would be heartbroken if I didn't and we look forward to that part at weddings. I think if your guests have an understanding of the tradition and history behind it, it's not as tacky. And if they don't, it might be a good opportunity to tell them.

Also, my cousin just made $1500 on hers, which is pretty much enough to cover the cost of a cake, so there's that :) 
  • I don't think they are tacky at all so most definitely not as bad as a cash bar. However, I did not have one at my wedding, mainly because my husband's family would have had no idea what it even was.
  • I had one at my wedding and I don't think they are tacky.  Our venue did not allow alcoholic shots so they made a punch that tasted like it and serve that.  I'm glad I did one not to make extra money but it's a tradition I grew up on and wanted to do it :)
  • I think they are slightly tacky but they don't offend me when I see them at weddings.  They do get a little annoying when they interrupt a good time on the dance floor and then go on for too long. 

We didn't do it and had a polka mega mix instead.  The polka was a lot of fun with lots of couples out dancing.

• jnissa said:
    Oh my gosh - of all the regional things I'm keeping that's the one. I say no to cookie tables and black and gold decor, but that one's got such history. It's an old eastern european tradition that made its way here with the immigrants - and you'll still find it done in most eastern european countries. I actually consider it a way to pay tribute to my (Hungarian) heritage. So it may be about *why* you're doing it. My family would be heartbroken if I didn't and we look forward to that part at weddings. I think if your guests have an understanding of the tradition and history behind it, it's not as tacky. And if they don't, it might be a good opportunity to tell them.

Also, my cousin just made $1500 on hers, which is pretty much enough to cover the cost of a cake, so there's that :) 
    We are having a bridal dance, but it's for the same reason as jinissa.  It's a way to honor my heritage.  My great-grandmother was married in Poland, and it was a way to wish the bride good luck and happiness in their village.  We don't expect anyone to actually give us money.  It's just a fun way to dance with everyone.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • Tacky!  And not just tacky, but it takes away too much time from your wedding dancing with people.  Enjoy your reception!!! Bride and Grooms spend WAY too much time on these dollar dances instead of enjoying their guests and mingling. I did this at my first wedding and I regret every moment of it.  It was stupid.  I photograph weddings and I think it's tacky. I tell my B&G's not to do these, and if they do, wait until I'm gone to do them.   I hate them. They are horrible. There are enough events at the wedding to begin with and B&G's want to add in another 3-4 song long dance with guests for a few bucks???  Heck no!  Enjoy something that you are paying for!!!!!!!! 
  • I vote tacky too, although I do see the sentimental reasons behind it as I grew up going to weddings with dollar dances. However, it just seemed too tacky for me. Plus, I want ALL my guests dancing all night, not waiting in line with singles to dance or going back to their seats because it is dollar dance time. I also understand the cost cutting measures, but it just isn't for me. We are also paying for 100% of our own wedding, which may also be a decision factor for some people in choosing dollar dance or no dollar dance.
  • They are totally the norm for me.  I have never been to a wedding that didn't do one.  I look forward to doing the dollar dance! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards