May 2014 Weddings

Can it really be this easy?

I'm starting to wonder where all of the wedding planning drama and stress is. I know I shouldn't jinx myself and look a gift horse in the mouth, but all of the things that I thought would be stressful and a big fight... weren't. I'm a little in shock right now.

Because of our venue size and keeping it basically family-only, we've made the unpopular and generally ill-advised decision to not allow dates to our wedding (save for married couples/those living together long-term). This means that (among other things), my sister can't bring her bf that my family baaaaaarely knows. I expected a fight on this one. Well, she texted me the other night and said she figured she shouldn't invite him because the wedding will be so small, and I explained things further to her... And she was completely okay with it!

My sister was also dead-set on a strapless dress and I wanted her in anything but; again, I expected another argument with this one. Apparently, my mum brought it up with her when they were talking the other day, and she's fine with doing a one-shoulder like I wanted! Another win.

Our biggest expected stressor was FI's brother/BM, who's a notorious cheap-ass. We were expecting the biggest bitchfest of life when it came to him having to get a suit for the wedding, and fighting us every step of the way. Well, we went last night and he actually spent literally ten times more than we ever thought he would and didn't complain once! I'm pretty sure he bought a more expensive suit than FI haha. And when FI saw him today, all he said was, "Yeah, it was expensive, but it was a good deal and a nice suit, so..."

Then today, our travel agent emailed me and said that even though our honeymoon resort was bought out and they don't appear to be offering some of the complimentary excursions the previous owners were (which I had raised concerns about), they're going to honour everything that was promised to us when we booked with the old owners, at no additional charge.

Seriously... Can it really be this easy? Am I going to be slammed with drama later?

Re: Can it really be this easy?

• Don't jinx it!! :)
  • Hopefully you won't!!! I hear a lot of horror stories on here about all the drama, but I will say that everyone I know has been super accommodating and have just wanted to make sure we have the day that we want. I think that's probably why "it's my day" thing comes in. Other people on here act like nobody should ever say that and they shouldn't expect anything from anybody, but the truth is the people that love you are going to do everything they can to make sure you have a wonderful wedding.

I'm glad that everything is working out so well for you :)
  • I have had a stress-free go of it so far too! We're getting married on May 3rd and nothing has been complicated so far....the most trouble I have had has been finding a strapless bra that I can wear under my dress without it showing!

It honestly sounds like you just roll with the punches and if anything did pop up, it'd work itself out and you wouldn't stress.  That's awesome that things are just falling into place for you!

• I don't want to jink it either, but I haven't experienced much stress so far! It could be that I've had plenty of time to plan!

Good luck!
  • @ark155 I can't find a strapless bra, either! Well, let me caveat that... I can't find a good strapless longline bra/bustier that also has good push-up power haha. I think I need to hit a specialty lingerie shop around here.

• @pumpkinsandturkeys I thought you were going to wear the VS bra you recommended to me? :) Which by the way, I purchased.  I put it on right when I got it, but because it was sitting outside in the cold it didn't fit right.  I waited a few hours, tried it on again, and a much better fit!  I wore it all day today, and you're right, it doesn't slip and this will work perfect for me for under my dress. 

@ark155 I got the VS Fabulous strapless bra in nude, and it will work for me, but I don't have a low back or anything on my dress, so it will work for me.  I don't know how detailed the back of your dress is but you may be able to get away with something like that.
    Anniversary
  • edited January 2014
    @Kristen625 The Fabulous is definitely my sure-thing. I've just been toying with the idea of something a little longer to hold everything in, but I can't decide if I really need that or not -- my dress has a built-in corset (those thick elastics that clasp like a bra and hold everything in and keep the dress where it should be), and the lace bodice is thick enough to give me a good shape and stay smooth. I think I'm just overthinking it. I should probably do my first fitting with the Fab and then see if I need any tummy control. 

ETF grammar and add that I'm so glad you love the bra! Yay! :)

• firebabe6519firebabe6519 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    I recommend NuBra. They have strapless and backless bras, plus they have some add ons to help with lift too. That's what I'm using since my dress is too low in the back for a traditional bra or corset.
  • thanks guys! I ordered a bunch from a website called Bare Necessities and found a corset that fits me perfectly.  the front is more like spanx instead of having boning (which is nice, because the ones I tried on with boning bulged out away from my body when I sat down).  My dress is low in the back with a lace overlay and the bra that I'm keeping shows under the last 4 buttons where the lace is (if that makes sense) so I'll just hope it looks like part of the dress.  I am a DD girl and can't go braless and I'm not sure that those sticky backless bras can handle it ;) My options are pretty limited...
  • @ark155 I'm a 32DD now, but I used a NuBra back when I was a 36DD, and it held up just fine! I recommend the one that's kind of gel-like as opposed to the one that's just fabric. I wasn't sure how something with that weight to it would hold up AND lift up the girls, but it actually did!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards