Plus-Sized

Plus Sized Pnina Tornai Inspired Gown FOR SALE - Size 14/16

swyatt2014swyatt2014 member
First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
edited January 2014 in Plus-Sized

Hello all,

I got 2 custom gowns made and I have decided that I do not want to change gowns after the ceremony. That being said I have a plus-sized gown for sale. I wanted the Pnina look, so the gown is fitted with a lot of crystal detailing. The gown has only been tried on once, and has never been altered from it's original state. I am looking to get $650 (including shipping) or best offer for the gown. I live in Maryland for local pick up or I will ship anywhere in the US. Contact misssunnyhoney@gmail

Size: street 14/16

Color: Ivory

Material: Toulle/Chiffon over Satin

Bra cups sewn in

Lace/corset back

Fully lined

Crystal detail on the front and lower left side

Trumpet/mermaid/fit and flare silhouette depending on your height (I am 5'10)

Re: Plus Sized Pnina Tornai Inspired Gown FOR SALE - Size 14/16

• I would try posting this in the Wedding Classifieds board (if you haven't already)
  • hlvonb said:
    I would try posting this in the Wedding Classifieds board (if you haven't already)

Thanks hlvonb I posted it there and on my local Craigsist.Thanks! I'm gonna try ebay too.
  • QueerFemme said:
    You bought this from a knockoff site and you want to sell it for $650.00?
    when i first saw this picture i though looks nothing like a pnina not even close i figured well the seamstress must have gotten her vision wrong or something. then i enlarged it and i saw what looked to be crystal beading but it had this weird black tint to it and i said i have seen that tint before then it hit me this dress was bough for less than 150 on some china knockoff website it was not what the poster expected and now she wants to sell it for more than she paid for it.

your better off donating it to some high school theater group or goodwill

i would never pay 600 for a cheep knockoff no way
  • http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/765177/creative-ways-to-save-money#latest in her post here she talks about outsourcing the gown from aisa meaning she bought it from china
  • http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/765177/creative-ways-to-save-money#latest in her post here she talks about outsourcing the gown from aisa meaning she bought it from china

Yeah, the link to the youtube video links to a chinese knockoff site.
  • im guessing the dress was not what she expected and shes trying to recoup her money so she can buy a nicer gown in the store
    Hmmmm, creative ways to save money.....yet the post above says she ordered two custom gowns but "doesn't want to change after the ceremony anymore".  I would think if one was trying to save money, they'd only order one gown to begin with! 

Sounds like what really happened is OP is unhappy with her Chinese knockoff but is trying to sell it at a ridiculous cost to some unsuspecting bride.
  • swyatt2014swyatt2014 member
    edited January 2014

The $650 cost is the price that I paid for the dress and shipping (included) to wherever the buyer would like me to send it - nothing more, nothing less. $650 isn't a "ridiculous" cost in my opinion, but to each his own. I like the dress a lot and the quality is VERY VERY good, BUT I don't like the A-line gown look for myself; I prefer the look of a mermaid on my body type. The other gown that I have is a mermaid gown so I will not be changing after the ceremony as planned ... again nothing more nothing less.

PS. The main reason (other than saving money) that I went with an Asian-made gown is that when I went to order my gown from a bridal boutique in Virginia, (Curvy Girls or something) is that when I started the process of ordering an Enzoani gown in October, they told me that I needed to hurry and make my deposit/order before Chinese new year, since the company (yes Enzoani and others) get their gowns manufactured from China - these are the words from the mouth of the store associate herself .... so it didnt make sense to pay $2500 for a dress that was coming from China when I could buy one for $500-600 and save 75%. So that's what I did.

• JoanE2012 said:
    http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/765177/creative-ways-to-save-money#latest in her post here she talks about outsourcing the gown from aisa meaning she bought it from china
    Hmmmm, creative ways to save money.....yet the post above says she ordered two custom gowns but "doesn't want to change after the ceremony anymore".  I would think if one was trying to save money, they'd only order one gown to begin with! 

Sounds like what really happened is OP is unhappy with her Chinese knockoff but is trying to sell it at a ridiculous cost to some unsuspecting bride.

My post was about saving money - correct - and for what I paid for BOTH of my dresses I would still have about $250 to spare at Alfred Angelo, and $500 at David's Bridal White Collection so yup I saved $. Am I unhappy with the gown I'm selling, NO, it's just not right for my body type. Did I create this post saying that the dress was a Pnina, NO ... but I did say it's inspired, however you call it a knockoff - tomato/tomatoe I guess.
  •  

The $650 cost is the price that I paid for the dress and shipping (included) to wherever the buyer would like me to send it - nothing more, nothing less. $650 isn't a "ridiculous" cost in my opinion, but to each his own. I like the dress a lot and the quality is VERY VERY good, BUT I don't like the A-line gown look for myself; I prefer the look of a mermaid on my body type. The other gown that I have is a mermaid gown so I will not be changing after the ceremony as planned ... again nothing more nothing less.

PS. The main reason (other than saving money) that I went with an Asian-made gown is that when I went to order my gown from a bridal boutique in Virginia, (Curvy Girls or something) is that when I started the process of ordering an Enzoani gown in October, they told me that I needed to hurry and make my deposit/order before Chinese new year, since the company (yes Enzoani and others) get their gowns manufactured from China - these are the words from the mouth of the store associate herself .... so it didnt make sense to pay $2500 for a dress that was coming from China when I could buy one for $500-600 and save 75%. So that's what I did.

First of all, the dress you posted IS a mermaid dress. An A-line flares out at the waist. It isn't fitted through the hips and thighs like this one is. So, saying that you are selling it because you want a mermaid dress... makes no sense.

And, yes, most clothing is made in China, or some other foreign location. But, that doesn't mean a designer gown is using the same fabric as a cheap knockoff dressmaker.  If you order an Allure, or Mori Lee, or Maggie Sottero, or any other designer, they have standards of the fabrics and embelishments that are being used.  They are not using cheap fabrics and manufacturing.  Just because it's made in the same country, doesn't mean it's the same item.  Stuff that comes from Walmart and Macys are likely both made in the same country... but, that doesn't make them equal.

I'm sorry that you paid so much for a cheap knockoff.  You can tell by looking at the jewels on that dress that it's not worth $650.00.   Maybe you can convince someone from craigslist or ebay to buy it, but, most people here know better.

• Queer- the dress is INDEED A line, or trumpet even, but mermaid it is NOT. The flare starts at my hips (it's not fitted through the hips and thighs at all). The flare/skirt doesn't start near my knee joint which is the style I prefer.

And again, I never said the dress was a Pnina nor of equal quality, I clearly state that it is NOT (hence "inspired") because if it were I doubt I would have been able to purchase the $15,000 gown for $650.

Also, a LOT of the designer inspired gowns run as much as $800-1000 from China, so $650 isn't a ridiculous price - I shopped around at least 6 reputable Asian dressmaker places before I made my purchase. The $650 price is also listed as "or best offer"- and if the price is too high, or anyone here isn't interested then that's ok too.

Sidebar- I LOVE the beading and crystals on this gown. They look stunning in person and I got several compliments when I tried the dress on at my local seamstress shop. If the silhouette was more to my liking I would be keeping it hands down.
  • Queer- the dress is INDEED A line, or trumpet even, but mermaid it is NOT. The flare starts at my hips (it's not fitted through the hips and thighs at all). The flare/skirt doesn't start near my knee joint which is the style I prefer. And again, I never said the dress was a Pnina nor of equal quality, I clearly state that it is NOT (hence "inspired") because if it were I doubt I would have been able to purchase the $15,000 gown for $650. Also, a LOT of the designer inspired gowns run as much as $800-1000 from China, so $650 isn't a ridiculous price - I shopped around at least 6 reputable Asian dressmaker places before I made my purchase. The $650 price is also listed as "or best offer"- and if the price is too high, or anyone here isn't interested then that's ok too. Sidebar- I LOVE the beading and crystals on this gown. They look stunning in person and I got several compliments when I tried the dress on at my local seamstress shop. If the silhouette was more to my liking I would be keeping it hands down.
    That is definitely not an A-Line dress.  I wore an A-Line dress.....that's pretty much the silhouette that looks best on me and I wear for all dressy occasions.  No way in hell would I wear the dress above.....I would look like a stuffed sausage.  An A-Line dress starts to flare out from your waist, not your hips or upper thighs.  What you have a picture of is more of a trumpet.  You even mention it's a trumpet/mermaid in your original post.

• All I can say, is good luck selling it.  I really think you shouldn't try to sell it as a "Pnina Inspired" anything... or that it was "custom gown".    That really is false advertising.  Sure, everyone's design is inspired by some other designer.   that's the only part of your ad that seems accurate. It's "inspired" by someone, sure.   But, saying that it's "custom" makes it sound like you had a seamstress or dressmaker custom make/design the dress for you.  "Custom made" is not the same as buying a Chinese knockoff from online.

But, like I said in my previous post, you may get someone from Craigslist or ebay to bite, but as I'm sure you've seen, on TK, we try to really warn people to stay away from knockoff gowns.  There's a reason for that.

• swyatt2014swyatt2014 member
    edited January 2014
    My listing is accurate as posted.

And I haven't seen a ton of postings here advising people to stay away from Chinese dresses - I made sure to read threads here along with Weddingbee before I made my purchase. Not to say they don't exist, I just didn't run across them last year when I made the decision to buy.
  • JoanE2012 said:

Queer- the dress is INDEED A line, or trumpet even, but mermaid it is NOT. The flare starts at my hips (it's not fitted through the hips and thighs at all). The flare/skirt doesn't start near my knee joint which is the style I prefer.

And again, I never said the dress was a Pnina nor of equal quality, I clearly state that it is NOT (hence "inspired") because if it were I doubt I would have been able to purchase the $15,000 gown for $650.

Also, a LOT of the designer inspired gowns run as much as $800-1000 from China, so $650 isn't a ridiculous price - I shopped around at least 6 reputable Asian dressmaker places before I made my purchase. The $650 price is also listed as "or best offer"- and if the price is too high, or anyone here isn't interested then that's ok too.

Sidebar- I LOVE the beading and crystals on this gown. They look stunning in person and I got several compliments when I tried the dress on at my local seamstress shop. If the silhouette was more to my liking I would be keeping it hands down.

That is definitely not an A-Line dress.  I wore an A-Line dress.....that's pretty much the silhouette that looks best on me and I wear for all dressy occasions.  No way in hell would I wear the dress above.....I would look like a stuffed sausage.  An A-Line dress starts to flare out from your waist, not your hips or upper thighs.  What you have a picture of is more of a trumpet.  You even mention it's a trumpet/mermaid in your original post.

Yes the original post specifically notes "depending on your height" ... On me the dress is NOT a mermaid, it's A line.
  • there are plenty of post there is even a sticky on the atire and accessories thread that warns of china knockoff websites
  • The Pnina that "inspired" this dress is called a mermaid by the designer. If it's an A line that's unlike any A line dress I have ever seen.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The Pnina that "inspired" this dress is called a mermaid by the designer. If it's an A line that's unlike any A line dress I have ever seen.

I agree 100% that the look I was going for was mermaid, with the skirt starting about 6-8 inches lower - but that's not what I have. I have an A line dress.

I agree 100% that the look I was going for was mermaid, with the skirt starting about 6-8 inches lower - but that's not what I have. I have an A line dress.
    If it was a "custom-made" dress, they should've had your measurements and have provided you with the silhouette based on the "inspiration" dress.  Another reason why Chinese knockoffs (or whatever you want to call them) are not recommended.

And again, the dress on you is not A Line.  An A Line flares out from your waist.  Right around where your index fingers are on your hands in the first photo.  The dress on you above flares out much lower at your hips/thighs.  On you, the dress has trumpet characteristics.  I agree it's not really mermaid.

That said, good luck selling it.

• if you go to morilee.com you will find a section to click on and it list all the websites that sell china knockoff junk and to beware. there are plenty of local places you can have your dress made or even calling local salons and finding out if they have anything that would resemble a pnina dress.

i know where i live about 20 minutes away is a place where you can get a custom made bridal gown she has sample dresses you can choose her to make or you come up with a design and she can make it for you.

again good luck selling it but you might have better luck donating it to a school for the drama department
  • I got #6 (Fit & Flare/A-Line), but my body type looks better in #8 (mermaid).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards