40-Plus Brides

DIY makeup for the over 40 crowd

Hi all.... Having some trouble with planning my DIY makeup. I've gone to the MAC counter and to Sephora for make up demonstrations. Looking for a more dramatic look than every day and with great, long lasting coverage to help with the laugh lines and crows feet. Unfortunately both times I've had the makeup done i come out looking like a very feminine drag queen. The makeup artists put on so much foundation, toner, concealer, etc. to cover everything up that I end up looking older than I actually am. Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DIY makeup for the over 40 crowd

• Kerigirl9 said:
    Hi all.... Having some trouble with planning my DIY makeup. I've gone to the MAC counter and to Sephora for make up demonstrations. Looking for a more dramatic look than every day and with great, long lasting coverage to help with the laugh lines and crows feet. Unfortunately both times I've had the makeup done i come out looking like a very feminine drag queen. The makeup artists put on so much foundation, toner, concealer, etc. to cover everything up that I end up looking older than I actually am. Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips?
    @Kerigirl9

What about some of these? 
  • DelDel2014DelDel2014 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2014
    Hello!  Unfortunately, as a well-trained and experienced makeup artist, I see this time and again. The high-fashion exaggerated MAC look isn't for everyone! A key part of an artist's job is not only to take into consideration your client's age and style, but to *listen* to their requests. My advice:skip the MAC counter and Sephora stores. I am a long-time fan of both, so I'm not slamming them. That said, if you're still considering another go at a makeup counter, perhaps try Chanel, Lancome, Estee Lauder or Laura Mercier. Those lines offer products designed to be flattering to women of *all ages* and there are definitely options for a lovely wedding day look that are far from drag queen territory. I'd say, "Please show me how I can apply my wedding day makeup to look glamorous without going overboard.  I'd like to look like a  gorgeous, well-rested, radiant version of ME." We all know that wedding day includes photography and you must accentuate features so you don't looked washed out in pictures. Any artist truly worth his or her salt should know exactly what to suggest, while keeping all the pertinent factors in mind - especially your preferences. I hope this helps and I wish you a beautiful wedding day and joyous new life!  
  • Kerigirl9Kerigirl9 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Kerigirl9 said:
    @Kerigirl9

What about some of these? 
    Lovely but not one of them is over 30 or they're airbrushed to death! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh this is an area I too am dreading. My FI is significantly younger than me and although most people dont see the difference when we are together. I know his family especially is going to be looking hard not to mention I really want my only wedding pics to be as perfect as possible. I found the style of makeup I like and even contacted the makeup artist. Believe me if I had the money I would gladly pay for her to do the make up for my wedding, every one of her pics made the bride look so natural and lovely. The befores and afters were awesome. But I cant even afford to go for the consultation let alone the day of. I have never truly been a girly girl. So I am having to learn makeup techniques as quick as I can but I still have yet to be able to come close to what I want :( It is truly frustrating.
  • I think I'm just going to keep my bangs, Botox the crows feet and hope for the best with the laugh lines. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with Del above and would like to add that I have found three products that work really well for me (I'm 40+). 1. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - it keeps your eye shadow looking fresh and keeps it where you put it. 2. I use a mix of expensive and inexpensive makeup, and one inexpensive item that I'm really enthusiastic about is Revlon Photoready liquid foundation. It was recommended by someone on the 40+ board quite some time ago and I can't recall who it was. I really like the coverage and it doesn't settle into my lines, which brings me to: 3. My newest favorite beauty product is a foundation brush from realTechniques by Samantha Chapman. I got it at Kohl's and it's fabulous. It's kind of a dense, domed brush with synthetic bristles, and I pump a tiny bit of Revlon foundation on the end of the brush and brush it in little circles all over my face. It has kind of a buffing and blurring effect and it works amazingly well with the Revlon Photoready (and I'm sure other liquid or cream foundations). It's their "Expert Face "Brush" and it is magic. Inexpensive, too!
  • I am actually going to do my own make up because I am concerned about someone making me look either like a prom queen or a drag queen. I have been playing with different make up styles I find on pinterest & youtube to see what styles and colors I like.
  • Pick one aspect of your face to 'dress up'.
    My eyes look strange when done in a high fashion way. I choose to dress up my lips instead. I use a darker than every day lipstick and put a shiny clear gloss on top or an already shiny lipstick/ gloss.
  • Hi all. Makeup is something I too struggle with. I am following a couple people on YouTube. Hot and Flashy is one. She does tons of tutorials as well as product reviews and she is over 40 herself for sure. I also am subscribed to themakeupminutes by Brianna Michelle. She is a Las Vegas makeup artist but does a ton of tutorials. Hope this helps you all in some way. Merle Norman used to be geared to older people as well when my mom managed a store, but that was a hundred years ago now :)
  • CkfragallCkfragall member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2014
    I just had my wedding a week ago. I had the same issues with crows feet and laugh lines. I use two foundations. Lancôme and my most favorite is made by phylisophy. When hope is not enough line. The serum and foundation together work wonders! I am almost 50 and I got so many compliments on my make up. You just have to do your research . Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards