Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Good music for older generations/everyone to dance to?

I am trying to figure out some music to put on my playlist for my DJ (he wanted a play by play he was cheap so I don't mind). I need some music for after dinner before all the old folks go to bed. Something that everyone will enjoy. After about 9 or so is when the other music gets going ;)

Re: Good music for older generations/everyone to dance to?

• btw...I will be having frank Sinatra, elvis, etc playing during dinner
  • Can you define "older"?  I am the  youngest in family due to being an oops baby and I am 53.  I have a sister (67) who listened to Elvis and all the 1950's crooners.  I had brothers around her age bracket who listened to Jimmy Hendrix, Iron Butterfly, Cream, Neal Young, and the Rolling Stones. Pretty wide delta there.

My 32 yo DD plans on including some Sinatra at her cocktail hour this Summer because he is timeless and easy to listen to when conversing.  Just how old is your "older crowd" and what do you know about the kind of music they listen too?

• Some of the stuff from our playlist:

1950s-early 60s
    "All Shook Up," Elvis Presley
    "You Never Can Tell," Chuck Berry
    "Blame It on the Bossa Nova," Eydie Gorme
    "Why Do Fools Fall In Love," Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers

later 60s-70s
    "Brick House," Commodores
    "Celebration," Kool and the Gang
    "Dance to the Music," Sly & the Family Stone
    "Kung Fu Fighting," Carl Douglas

80s-early 90s
    "Just Can't Get Enough," Depeche Mode
    "Two of Hearts," Stacy Q
    "I Wanna Dance With Someboy," Whitney Houston
    "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic," The Police

• emmyg65 said:
    Some of the stuff from our playlist:

1950s-early 60s
    "All Shook Up," Elvis Presley
    "You Never Can Tell," Chuck Berry
    "Blame It on the Bossa Nova," Eydie Gorme
    "Why Do Fools Fall In Love," Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers

later 60s-70s
    "Brick House," Commodores
    "Celebration," Kool and the Gang
    "Dance to the Music," Sly & the Family Stone
    "Kung Fu Fighting," Carl Douglas

80s-early 90s
    "Just Can't Get Enough," Depeche Mode
    "Two of Hearts," Stacy Q
    "I Wanna Dance With Someboy," Whitney Houston
    "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic," The Police

That's a really good list. Might just have to play some of those as well as we have a variety of ages attending our wedding. Thanks! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• kmmssg said:

Can you define "older"?  I am the  youngest in family due to being an oops baby and I am 53.  I have a sister (67) who listened to Elvis and all the 1950's crooners.  I had brothers around her age bracket who listened to Jimmy Hendrix, Iron Butterfly, Cream, Neal Young, and the Rolling Stones. Pretty wide delta there.

My 32 yo DD plans on including some Sinatra at her cocktail hour this Summer because he is timeless and easy to listen to when conversing.  Just how old is your "older crowd" and what do you know about the kind of music they listen too?

I have people as old as 87 there. I am 27 so anything in that gap I suppose. I will be playing Sinatra at dinner also
  • as long as there is variety for all generations you are fine.  My grandma and aunt were up and dancing with the "young crowd" throughout the night.

Anniversary
  • Twist
    Shout
    Beatles

Really, anything that has a good beat and isn't offensive will get people dancing if they are inclined to dance.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I know it's a cliche, but at daughter's wedding, when Ella started emoting "At Last", EVERYBODY jumped up and danced.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards