Getting in Shape

Getting bummed

I am trying to lose weight before my wedding in 6 months. Not much but maybe 5 pounds. I was doing well and I was proud of myself but now I am stuck and I think I have gained a couple pounds back. I am still doing what I did before but no more progress. Help please.

Re: Getting bummed

• It's completely normal for someone's body weight to fluctuate based on time of the month, what you had for dinner, etc.  It's also normal to lose a few pounds and then hit a "plateau" for a while.

If you're doing a combination of diet/cardio/strength training, muscle truly does weigh more than fat - I have SO MUCH more definition in my arms/abs and have lost 1 pound in about two weeks focusing on strength training and cardio.  I was bummed when I got off the scale until I measured myself and realized I lost an inch in a few places.

Maybe try measuring your progress in more ways than just weight?  I'd suggest measuring at your waist, hips, each thigh, etc to keep track of progress that way.
  • hlvonb said:
    I am trying to lose weight before my wedding in 6 months. Not much but maybe 5 pounds. I was doing well and I was proud of myself but now I am stuck and I think I have gained a couple pounds back. I am still doing what I did before but no more progress. Help please.
    Are you drinking alcohol?  That can cause a major stall.  I've cut back to a couple of drinks a week, some weeks none, because of this.  Sugar can cause you to stall also.  

If you give us some more info about your diet we might be able to help you out.  
    photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
  • kmdassow said:
    hlvonb said:
    Are you drinking alcohol?  That can cause a major stall.  I've cut back to a couple of drinks a week, some weeks none, because of this.  Sugar can cause you to stall also.  

If you give us some more info about your diet we might be able to help you out.  

@kmdassow

No I don't drink alcohol and I have 1can of diet soda a day

• If you are trying to lose it quick, your diet and cardio are going to be your biggest helpers. I love walking around my neighborhood (at a fairly brisk pace) for 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week. It's low impact and gets your heart going. 

For diet, you might try nixing the soda. They contribute to bloating no matter if it's diet or not. Try only drinking water (with those little Mio flavorings if you don't like water) and you'll see such a difference in your stomach area and even in just the way you feel! If you have issues with self control/boredom eating like I do, don't let it in your house. Shop off a strict list that you've put together and only buy what's on the list. If you don't have it, you won't eat it. 

I also just discovered a fun app (Fitsugar) that has 5-40min. workouts you can do in your living room. If I can do them, you can do them. Believe me. They're fun and the ladies show you exactly what to do.

Good luck! :-)

• hlvonb said:
    I am going to give you a very good piece of advice that worked for me and ensure you that it would work for you too. Eating healthy diet is must which includes salads, sprouts, juice - particularly oranges & pineapple. The thumb of rule - drink lots & lots of water.
    Apart from that you need to workout at least an hour a day. If you can't go to gym, go for running, it is the best, ride a bike if you don't have, get one like I got my self a stationary bike from http://spinning.com/en/ particularly to loose belly fat. Do some crunches, sit ups at home.
    One more important think, there is a very easy thing that you should do - mix honey in boiled water and just sip it up. That works a lot but make sure you follow this exercise schedule regularly.
    Good luck with that :)
  • A really hard thing for me is eating right, and getting proper nutrition. Sometimes I feel like I have the palate of a 4 year old, any thing leafy green can stay away from me. Two things that have really helped me:

Juicing/Making a smoothie-
    I can get my full five servings in a glass or two. The best thing about it, is I don't have to sit down and try to gag on a plate full of veggies. The sweetness of the fruit cancels out the spinach, kale, etc. I try to make this my breakfast. It really is a good boost. If you don't have a juicer, you can use a blender..it does tend to be a little thicker. I take a multi vitamin. I am also trying to drink water through out the day.

Doing something everyday-
    Everything you do burns calories. So, try to find something to incorporate into your daily life. You don't have to kill yourself in the gym. You can spend hours at the gym, but if your diet is poor, you won't see progress. Even a 30 minute walk around the neighborhood is better than nothing!

Best of luck!
  • I agree with @JSTexas22. Drinking diet soda makes me feel super bloated and also makes me want to eat more sugar.  Sometimes I'll allow myself to have one on the weekend as a treat, but in general I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners.  
    photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
  • Bashley20062Bashley20062 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2014
    I would cut out soda completely and focus on eating clean and tracking calories.  As you physically progress you will need to do more to get the same results.  The biggest struggle for me is portion control.  I'm a big fan of working out at the gym, but I tend to binge eat so I don't necessarily make any progress.  Unfortunately there is no quick fix, just plain old eating right and working out as much as you can.  
  • I always gain after I lose when I start a new workout. My old trainer taught me it had to do with losing fat but building muscle. When in doubt, measure yourself in key places. That is better than always relying on a scale. (Another tip from the trainer. I can't claim that I knew it on my own.)
  • I work out most days but recently I added stairs at work to help - side note is I work on the 11th floor but have an office on the 2nd floor in a different building!  I got a pedometer and if I take the stairs up and down 2 times a day it's AMAZING how much more active I can be!!! My weight isn't making huge moves but I notice my legs are significantly more toned since I started this! 
    Pounds are ok but inches are better!!!
  • @hlvonb  Like PPs have said, just keep at it!  When I feel like my weight hits a plateau, I try mixing it up a bit.

Rather than running, I will walk/jog/spring in intervals.  I know it's the winter, but biking is really fun and is good to move your heart rate up and down.

Another way that I love to mix up my workouts, especially in the cold months is by going to classes such as Zumba or spin.

Taking your measurements would be a good idea as well, and drink lots and lots of water!!  (I'm a big fan of water with lemon)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel your pain but congrats to you for only have to drop that 5! I wish the same were true for me. Ive lost 40 but need to drop 30 more and only have 3 months 6 days to go!  When I reach a plateau, I always jump start my metabolism by "zig zagging" my caloric intake. Alternating, one day I will do 1200 calories and the next jump it up to 1500 calories then back down to the 1200 calories. It always works! I usually do this for a week but never have to do it longer then 2 weeks.

And yes, change up your exercise regime. Our bodies get complacent. It's all about tricking it with change. Good luck!

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards