Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is it okay to have burgers?

My fiance and I are getting married in late summer at a farm in the mountains. We want the feel to be fairly casual (groom and groomsmen in khakis, bridesmaids in knee length dresses with flats/wedges, lawn games during cocktail hour). We want to use our favorite grass-fed burger place for catering because we know them and love their food. We also ate there a lot when we were dating, so it's a bit sentimental for us.

They offered to bring their grills and make sliders to order. They will have beef, chicken, and vegan burgers, as well as gluten free buns for those who need them. Guests will be able to order either his or hers signature sliders (his: bbq sauce, onions and bacon, hers: goat cheese, peach chutney, and arugala) or plain sliders. There will also be a toppings bar. In addition, we will be offering a buffet of sides and salads (2 salads, cheddar and gouda mac and cheese, sweet potato hash with bacon, and roasted veggies).

We both think this sounds delicious and it is SO us, but my mother is concerned that guests will be offended that they are "only" getting burgers because many of them are coming from out of town. Is this true? Should we ditch this idea and find a more conventional caterer?

Re: Is it okay to have burgers?

• I would really enjoy that.  Your event is casual and I think that fits in just fine.  I'd like bacon on mine please.
  • Your idea sounds great.  We attended a wedding that was catered by a local barbecue company Everyone loved it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My only concern would be will they be able to work fast enough to churn out the burgers in a decent amount of time? I don't know how many guests you have and how many people will be doing the grilling but if it's made-to-order then there is a wait. Just keep that in mind.
  • That sounds delicious! We had something similar and a lot of out of town guests and it was great. The food was delicious and plentiful, and it fit the style of the event. So I think you're fine!
  • That sounds yummy!!!  As long as they have enough grill space and workers to keep the line moving I say go for it!
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • It all sounds delish!

• I think your menu sounds really tasty and I think it would fit well with the rest of your wedding. I too would be concerned about how quickly they can make burgers. If it's a small wedding, it probably isn't an issue but if you have a lot of guests you may want to ask about having grills to accommodate.
  • Thanks everyone! I'm honestly not concerned about their ability to make the burgers fast. The reason they are doing sliders is because they cook fast, and they also do those at farmer's markets so I've seen them make them fast! They will have 2 chefs and we will have about 100 guests. 
  • I like this idea.  Yum!  Best wishes and congratulations!
  • These don't sound like they are "just" burgers. It sounds amazing! I vote YES!
  • I just read this post to my fiance and we were both almost drooling on our couch, haha. Sounds excellent!! 
  • Go w the burgers at least you know it will be eaten and it represents you and your FI. After all the day is about you, him and celebrating your love and if that's what you love go for it.
  • That sounds delicious.  Can I come to your wedding?  LOL  Just kidding.  I think you should stick with the burger idea.  It's what you and your FI like, so go with it girl :o)

• Those sound so yummy. Go for it.
  • Doesnt sound like "just burgers" to me.  I'd love that. Serve that meal proudly. 
  • Sounds good! Only thing I worry about is that if there is only 2 grills and only 2 chefs, the vegan burgers will touch the non vegan juices. If I was avoiding meat, I would be bothered that my meatless option touched the others.

I'm craving cheeseburgers now.
  • Hm, thanks @xxrynnexx, I will discuss that with them!
  • Good luck with planning! It may not be a big deal to anyone.
  • I'd also not call them "his" or "hers" burgers. My husband would like the "her's" burger and I know plenty of women who would like the "his" burger. I'd call them something else.
  • Burgers are fun and I love they are made to order. I think this would be a great element for the cocktail hour or as a late night snack-- but shouldn't be the only food choice. 
    You can do stations for the wedding and do burgers as one station, then some other fun, made to order foods at the others... 
  • @lc07, the burgers will actually be the [my name] style burger and [his name] style burger to reflect our favorites. It doesn't have anything to do with gender.

@LowerEastSiiide, we actually ended up adding beef and chicken entrees to the buffet in addition to the burgers. 
  • That sounds like enough food, especially with the sides (mac & cheese, sweet potatoes and roasted veggies are some of my very favorite foods, can I come to your wedding?? lol).  One of the stations at my cocktail hour was sliders and the guests loved it.  I think your guests will really enjoy what you have planned!
  • Mmm.. That sounds delicious, especially with those sides. And you've included everyone, considering you've got beef, chicken, vegan, and gluten-free. I'm jealous and wish I was invited too! :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Sounds good! Good luck :) will be a great wedding I'm sure
  • That sounds amazing.

• Love your idea! 

Honestly, I'd rather time travel from weddings with crappy chicken to yours with burgers any day of the week! 
  • Thanks everyone! I am also excited about my wedding menu. To compromise with my mom, we added other entree options to the buffet, but we are still keeping our burgers and all of our side choices.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards