Connecticut

Photographer Help!

Hello! I'm not getting married till the end of 2015, but am interested in finding a photographer to do engagement pictures this spring and use the same person for my wedding. I really have no clue where to start with budget....I've seen everything from $1000-$5000+. My ideal would be preferably 2 photographers for the whole day plus and engagement session. I would like to have the rights to the pictures to be able to print and make my own albums because I know that can be a big part of the cost. I'm thinking around $2000-$2500. Is this doable and does anyone have any suggestions? Also, if they give rights to all the pictures does that mean they don't do as much editing vs when they would out an album together or print! Any advice is welcome!

Re: Photographer Help!

• We used King Vincent Storm and looooved working with Vinnie and Ann Marie. They definitely meet all your requirements and should be in your price range, especially if you plan to make your own album.
    imageAnniversary
  • I'm not sure if our photographer has posted prices for 2015 but she is super reasonable. And she is crazy talented. Check out her website www.truthbetoldphotography.com good luck!
  • addieeshelman.com!
  • We're using Tim Brown (TAB Photographic) and he was really great about working with us to customize a package. http://www.tabphotographic.com/

One advantage to booking early is that you might get 2014 pricing even if the prices go up for 2015- that could help your budget stretch a little further. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are using Tim Wong of Timecut Photgraphy. For $2,500 we are getting an engagement session, 2 photographers, 8 hours of wedding day coverage and the rights to all of our pics. He will be editing the pics as well. We had our engagement session already and are so pleased with his work.

He is based out of Brooklyn so may charge a travel fee depending on where in CT your wedding will be. We are getting married in Fairfield with reception in Westport and he is not charging us a travel fee.

• My husband and I got married this past May and this is why I took away from the photography side of things.

Make sure the rights to the images are included, or at least that you know what the rights cost. Some photographers can charge $1,000+ for them! 

Also, ask if the images are edited. We met with some photographers that only edited 20 photos, and then charged $20 an image after that. I think that is crazy!

10 hours of coverage is usually good for a wedding day. Our ceremony and reception were in the same place, so we opted for 8 hours of coverage. If you want to save money, keep the photographer there for 30 minutes to an hour after the cake is cut. Don't have him/her stay until the end of the wedding, so you save money on the hours of coverage. We didn't want 500 dancing photos for what it was going to cost.

Two photographers is totally worth it! 

Design and order your own albums. Snapfish makes some high quality stuff!

Ask if there are traveling fees involved.

If you find a photographer you love, but can't afford the engagement session, book the wedding day with the photographer, and hire a less expensive photographer to do the engagements. Some people may not like this, but if it saves you a few hundred dollars, it may be worth it.

We love Eric Brushett Photography, but his packages start at $2500, so he may be out of your range. Good luck in the search!

• rehtaeh41rehtaeh41 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
    Stefanie Kapra Photography

Worth every single penny.  Awesome photography skills using digital and real film.  And she's the sweetest person ever!
  • Tony Spinelli Photography

My engagement photos came out AMAZING! I had so many compliments from friends and family; they couldn't believe how nice they were.
    We shot at Harkness in Waterford, CT.

I can't wait to have him shoot our wedding photos!
  • Our photographer is Eric Brushett. Have yet to actually work with him yet, but his pricing is reasonable and his pictures are amazing.  There were photographers we met with whose work I would say was on the same level, but charged way more (usually because they required you to get an album).  As a PP said, he starts off at about $2500.  I think we have 8 hours of coverage and engagement photos for about $2700.  Since I would recommend meeting in person with anyone you're thinking of going with, it's good that you are starting the search early!
  • Check out Addie Eshelman Photography at addieeshelman.com :)
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited January 2014
    ctweddingvideo.com scott dery he does photo and video but if you wanted both he has a back up video person. we have him for all day coverage starting at the house.  he includes a engagement season the rights to all your photos edited and a proof album. he starts at 1700 and he only requries a 400 deposit.

he also has a 900 package but thats starting at the church with 5 hours of coverage

my dad used to be a wedding photographer and knows his back up video guy who is also the former owner and his video work is amazing he also offers a second photographer if you want but thats extra. and if you want video he will bundle both packages and you get a little discount on that

i showed my dad  lots of different photographers websites who were in my budget and non of them were as good as scott's work 

if you are on a budget i recommend him
  • jennyp37jennyp37 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2014
    Lindsay Vigue!!! She's amazing, makes you feel at ease and as if you have known her forever. Here's a link to my e-pictures http://lindsayviguephotography.zenfolio.com/p566676580. It was raining that day, but it was hard to tell. All in all she's coming in close to $2000. Her website address is: www.lindsayviguephotography.com ETA: forgot the details! All day coverage, two photographers, rights to all pictures, and she's editing them. We can make print on our own or she'll help us out with her printer, it's completely up to us.
    October 2014 Brides - July Siggy Challenge: Cakes
  • I am using Val McCormick (valmccormick.com). She is very reasonable and personable. I am not sure of her 2015 pricing. She takes amazing pictures and is definitely worth contacting. 
    -Andrea  
  • Use anyone but Val McCormick.  She is a disaster.  Horrible with communication. Worst vendor of my wedding and I still regret it 3 years later.
    We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz
  • Two of my close friends used Val McCormick for their weddings.  One I was a bridesmaid in, in 2012 (the other was July 2013).  I can't speak for JodiAriel's experience but both times I met her, Val was a complete sweetheart and the photographs were breathtakingly pretty.  Plus, both of my friends were beyond thrilled with the end result.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have had several friends use Val and am happy to have met her. I also HIGHLY recommend her as well.  I can't speak for Jodi's experience but I can say one of my friends left the board because she felt bullied by Jodi anytime she brought up Val.  She went as far as questioning a change in her wedding date, which was because our friend (the groom) had cancer.  I can also personally attest to the fact that Val is an absolute sweetheart.  We all love her in our close knit group of friends that have used her.  She is my favorite vendor just like she was and still is to my friends and their families. 

I'm surprised Val hasn't taken Jodi to court.  Enough of is enough.  I'm so mad for her to see her comment above but the sweetheart that she is she hasn't done anything about it.  Good Luck in your search.  I agree with Andrea you won't regret it.
  • estegemanestegeman member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2014
    Val McCormick was my photographer for my wedding 2 years ago and I cannot say enough good things about her.  Looking back I cannot imagine planning my wedding without her.  She recommended Naomi Martinez as my makeup artist (who is absolutely amazing) and was so helpful throughout the whole planning process.  Val was so easy and wonderful to work with.  She is so sweet and professional.  She traveled to our engagement photo location and arrived early to scope it out and find the best places to shoot.  She works so hard and is so talented. She was crawling around on the ground to get the best photos.  She will do almost anything for her clients!  I absolutely LOVE my engagement photos and my wedding photos. I received countless compliments on my wedding photos and I honestly believe I was lucky to have her as my photographer.  Even now 2 years after my wedding we still keep in touch because Val truly cares about her clients. I have attached a link below to a slideshow of my wedding photos that Val provided me with.  
    Photobucket
  • Val McCornmick was my photographer for my wedding and my favorite vendor along with Naomi Martinez. She and her team were very professional, on time and went above and beyond. Things got hectic and she kept her cool and continue doing what she does best. She is very knowledgeable and experience. There was thing that I totally forgot about and she was on point and her assistant. She was with us from 11:30 am till the very end. I love all my pictures and I wish I could do it all over again every year she truly capture the day. I go over and over my pictures and I re live it again. We were blessed to had have her as our photographer. We still Stay in contact as she has become a friend/family my husband refers to her as cousin. I don't know how many people can say that about other vendors she is very good and a sweet heart. I'm speaking off of my experience. Her picture also speaks for it self. Her packages are reasonable as well.
    save the date planning My Bio updated 05/22/11 image 184 Invited
    image129 are ready to party! image 39 missing out image 16 are driving me crazy
    RSVP Date: May 14, Wedding: June 18
  • Honestly I was very surprised to see what Jodi posted. I am still in contact with Val and any time I have a question she gets right back to me. I love how she already has a feeling of what we want. I told her we booked the venue because of the waterfall, her response to me was we will make sure we get a great pic of the two of you near it. It feels like she knows fiance our families and me and knows exactly what we like. I almost didn't contact her because her pictures are gorgeous and I thought she would be way out of my budget. She gave the best offer within budget ( I talked to 6 other photographers). She talked to me about what I was looking for and my budget. I can't believe how amazing she is. She doesn't want to be only your wedding photographer, she wants to become friends with you. 
  • I don't know whats going on with this val lady, but I have to agree with marisathomas, truth be told photography is really good, and she's a sweetheart, the only reason we didn't go with her is we found another photographer with a package that included much more and two photographers which is what we wanted (alysenicolephotography.com). both of them have both been very nice and pleasant to talk to and not pushy.
  • We are using Vicki Plus Erik (http://vickipluserik.com/) had an excellent engagement shoot with them they really listen to your needs and will try to work with your budget. Excited to have them shoot our wedding! 
  • Thanks for the advice everyone! We actually met with Eric Brushett and his wife (who is also his second shooter) over the weekend, and have decided to book with them!
  • KateandDan29KateandDan29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2014
    Light Camera DJ's!! I just booked them for up-lighting, photographer (2 photographers for 9 hours) , DJ(1 MC and 1 DJ) , plus they are doing the sound and music for my ceremony all for under $7000! That includes a complementary engagement shoot and a photo booth for 5 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards