Just Engaged and Proposals

I'm going to propose but I don't know her ring size?

My girlfriend and I are going back to her home in Denmark on Valentines day and coming back on the 17th and whilst we are away, I'm going to propose. Her family all know about this, and are behind me 100%. However, I don't know her ring size, and nobody else does either. She wears rings quite a lot, but never any of her ring finger, mostly just on her middle finger. I want it to be a surprise, so I can't just measure her finger either. Is there any other way of finding out her ring size?

P.S. The ring I plan to propose with is probably not the one we'll use forever. We've always said if we were to get married we would get custom rings.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I'm going to propose but I don't know her ring size?

• Could you sneak one of her existing rings out of her jewelry collection and take it with you to the jeweler for the size? Then you could either get that same size (realizing you might have to get it sized later) or the jeweler might suggest the size down from that. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Borrow the ring sizing chain from the jeweler, and put it on her hand while she is sleeping (if she is a sound sleeper). You can always leave the box empty, and let her pick out her own. (There does not need to be a ring in that box for a proposal to be beautiful). Or you can see if your jeweler has a ring loan program to put anything in the box, and she can pick out what she really wants.
  • Propose to her without the ring. Then she can get sized and you can pick out something together. FWIW, my husband proposed to me with a bracelet.
  • I never thought of proposing without the ring. Now that I think about it, it does seems silly to get an engagement ring to propose with, and then another one that will be the one she actually uses. A bracelet sounds good actually.

Thanks everybody!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Use a Ring Pop. :P
  • What's a Ring Pop?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A Ring Pop is a candy ring--it's a sucker (lollipop if that makes more sense) on a plastic ring. 

I agree with PP- don't buy a ring just to propose with and then another one later. Just propose and then pick rings together, I promise the moment will not be ruined by not having the ring--it's really the question that is important!
  • My FI took a ring out of my jewelry box to get size for mine.  Unfortunately he took one that is a size too big on me, so I had to get it resized anyway, which wasn't a big deal. If she wears her rings on middle finger, I would use one of those and get a size smaller. And it's easy to get resized if needed.

• Thanks guys, for your advice! I've decided I'm definitely not going to propose with a ring, but with a bracelet instead. However, I do have another question; Esther (my girlfriend) is always admiring my Pandora bracelet, so is it okay to get her her one and propose with that (probably with the ring charm on it)? Mine is silver, so I'd probably get her a gold one, but is that too everyday jewelry-ish? Should I go for something more unique?

I'm really not good with jewelry.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks guys, for your advice! I've decided I'm definitely not going to propose with a ring, but with a bracelet instead. However, I do have another question; Esther (my girlfriend) is always admiring my Pandora bracelet, so is it okay to get her her one and propose with that (probably with the ring charm on it)? Mine is silver, so I'd probably get her a gold one, but is that too everyday jewelry-ish? Should I go for something more unique?

I LOVE charm bracelets myself, so I'm totally biased, buuuuuut:

I approve of this idea!
  • I think proposing with a bracelet sounds like a great idea! Especially one with a cute charm on it. You don't NEED a gift of any sort for a proposal, but it definitely couldn't hurt :)

The charm bracelet sounds lovely, get her that and let her know you want to look at rings together. 
  • my fiance guessed and got me a ring that was too big. I just had it sized. that's pretty common

I'd much rather have a proposal with the ring myself

•  I'd also prefer the proposal with the ring. Mine was too big, and I just got it sized a few weeks later. I loved the excitement, and everyone asking to see it when we announced the news! :)

*J
  • FI proposed without a ring, which I was totally ok with, I got to help pick out the ring and ended up with something I adore, but would not have been easy at all for him to find on his own- I chose a moonstone and good moonstones are a bitch to find.  

I think that sounds fantastic!

Anniversary
  • my fiance guessed and got me a ring that was too big. I just had it sized. that's pretty common

I'd much rather have a proposal with the ring myself

I don't think she'd be bothered if I proposed with nothing, but I want to get her something. But buying five rings with one that'll probably need resized seems a bit excessive. The bracelet I'm going to buy is more expensive that the ring I was going to get but its also nicer and she will still wear it once we've got the proper rings.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  My sister's ex-husband proposed using a fake ring (looked real though, from the jewelry store) then they went together to get the actual ring. Or my FI took the ring I wear on my middle finger and thought I wore it on my ring finger before??? Anyways, afterwards I just went back to the jeweler and they resized it for free.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI proposed without my ring because a) it was the moment he was waiting for ... he was ready to do it, even if he didn't have a ring and b) he wanted me to pick exactly what I wanted.  He didn't want to buy one that I'd like, but wish I had a different one.

So, as my ring is being made, I'm wearing an antique he picked out for me.  It's diamond and sapphire.  I will wear it until my ring is done, then move it to my right hand.  It's more about the moment and the feeling, not the ring.  

I think it might even be sweet to present her with a ring box, and in it a plain band or something, then tell her you want to pick her forever ring out with her.

I think that this sounds like a great idea!  It would be especially cute for your proposal with this charm:

Congrats!
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards